• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 92FS

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Phoenix
    Court upholds 'under God' in Pledge of Allegiance | US National Headlines | Comcast.net

SAN FRANCISCO — A federal appeals court in San Francisco upheld the use of the words "under God" in the Pledge of Allegiance and "In God We Trust" on U.S. currency, rejecting arguments on Thursday that the phrases violate the separation of church and state.

The 9th U.S. Circuit Court of Appeals panel rejected two legal challenges by Sacramento atheist Michael Newdow, who claimed the references to God disrespect his religious beliefs.

"The Pledge is constitutional," Judge Carlos Bea wrote for the majority in the 2-1 ruling. "The Pledge of Allegiance serves to unite our vast nation through the proud recitation of some of the ideals upon which our Republic was founded."

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    I'm amazed that The 9th Circuit made this call.
    They are the most liberal bunch of loonies in the country.
    Mike

Agreed, yet volunteer prayer in H.S. Graduation was voted as unconstitutional . :dunno:

We shouldn't have to be subjected to participate other peoples religious practices.

Give me a break, you have to hear something you disagree with for 20sec. Grow up.

/threadjack

38special

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Mooresville
    I read the entire Constitution, as well as all of the amendments and I was unable to find the "separation of church and state" clause.

*shrug*

darinb

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Scott county,indiana
    Good to hear. I can still remember saying the pledge everyday in school. We have our kids say the pledge everyday before their schooling starts. I believe a patriotic seed planted in them now will always be there.:patriot:

garlic_b

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Bloomington
    I read the entire Constitution, as well as all of the amendments and I was unable to find the "separation of church and state" clause.

*shrug*

First Amendment:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

The Establishment Clause of the First Amendment prohibits the establishment of a national religion by the Congress or the preference of one religion over another, non-religion over religion, or religion over non-religion. Originally, the First Amendment only applied to the federal government. Subsequently, under the incorporation doctrine, certain selected provisions were applied to states. However, it was not until the middle and later years of the twentieth century that the Supreme Court began to interpret the Establishment and Free Exercise Clauses in such a manner as to restrict the promotion of religion by state governments. For example, in the Board of Education of Kiryas Joel Village School District v. Grumet, 512 U.S. 687 (1994), Justice David Souter, writing for the majority, concluded that "government should not prefer one religion to another, or religion to irreligion." (Clip from Wiki)

This is usually the part used to argue such cases, and is generally the basis for the concept of separation of Church and State. The idea is to completely avoid showing a preference for any one given religion. This way no single religious group could dominate another group. This was mostly because of the Puritans/Catholics fleeing religious oppression in Protestant England. This ideal was so important, it was the very first part in the Bill of rights. Even before the second amendment, which we all here at INGO hold dear.

Put in a more visceral way, I doubt if one were to ask most Americans if they want "Allahu Akbar" (God is Great) on their currency, they would agree.

Food for thought...

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    I'm old enough that I was in school when that was recited every morning, too. I don't, however, agree with the pledge anymore: The Flag represents the government, to which I owe no allegiance. I do not consider this nation "indivisible", either.
    Thus, considering the phrasing, history, and the political views of the author of the traditional Pledge, I prefer the one in my signature.

Blessings,
    Bill

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I agree with Bill's version of the pledge, though I would prefer to have the obviously forced "under God" removed. I feel that it indicates a specific preference for one set of religions over others. It's not a part of our 'heritage', as it was only added 56 years ago.

Expat

Pdub
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Feb 27, 2010
    Michiana
    Wow, just wow. I guess I have been to too many funerals that had flags draped over the coffins of loved ones not to respect the flag. I get a chill when I see the efforts of our troops to fly the flag all around the world in war. Often men have lost their lives just to accomplish that. But apparently it is an object of scorn and derision here.

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    First Amendment:
    Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.
    snip...

Still, nothing there that says anything about "separation of church and state." In fact, contrary to your assertion, nor is there anything there about showing, or not showing, preference. Not one word.

As written, it says: The government cannot establish a religion, and cannot prohibit the free exercise thereof. Nothing more, nothing less. Any judge making a ruling outside those bounds is writing laws, which is not in his/her job description.

Paco Bedejo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 23, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Wow, just wow. I guess I have been to too many funerals that had flags draped over the coffins of loved ones not to respect the flag. I get a chill when I see the efforts of our troops to fly the flag all around the world in war. Often men have lost their lives just to accomplish that. But apparently it is an object of scorn and derision here.

So...preference for pledging allegiance to the US Constitution instead of the US Flag is the equivalent of scorning & deriding the US Flag? :dunno:

Blind emotion in; Paco out. :rolleyes:

Rating - 100%
    129   0   0
    Jan 28, 2009
    Well IMO the flag represents the country and the Constitution,not the government.If the name God offends you,don't use it,you have that right.As for me I thank God for what I have.

wtfd661

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Dec 27, 2008
    North East Indiana

+1 :patriot:

Top Bottom