• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HuntMeister

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Dec 21, 2010
    If you go with the BH209 you won't have to swab between shots and since the powder is extruded it is very consistent. Once you find the right charge you will be able to easily get the same charge time and time again.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I can put 5 or 6 shots into a decent group before I have to clean.
    Stainless bbl on a TC Hawken, it's the most picky MZ I ever owned.
    First shot.............has to be bone dry, not even a trace of Remoil from storage.
    I run a musket cap, T7 FFg equiv (loose) and a TC maxihunter 275gr.
    Have shot roundball, Great plains bullets (385gr.......WOW!) and 240XTP in TC sabots.
    They all did OK, but would get flyers.............like 6" left at 50 yards.
    Lapped the bore, messed around and finally have something that is consistent.
    Was a nightmare.
    All that shooting/testing and the stock beats the hell out of me. If the gun wasn't so pretty I'd have dumped the POS LOL

Cattman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2013
    Franklin
    100 grains of the BH209, Crushed Rib sabots from Harvester Muzzleloading, Hornaday 250 G Flex tips and and CCI primers in my Knight Disc Extreme. Great accuracy and complete pass through on the 5 deer I've taken so far this year.

djones

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    Greenfield
    I have a wolf also. I have achieved very good NMLRA postal match scores with the following load.

Lee REAL 320 grain 50 cal pure lead lubed with beeswax and crisco.
    85 grains of Goex FFFg
    iron sights off hand 25 yards 5 shot group

Last edited:

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I had a TC New Englander that after wearing the new gun in would cloverleaf off the bench for 3.............iron sighted.
    Did this back to back too. At 100 yards.
    Spitpatch, .495" roundball (swaged Hornady) and 100gr FFg Goex, with #11 CCI ignition.
    Had a Renegade that almost shot as well, after bedding the bbl and fixing run screws (new gun, it must have been assembled by a drunk on a Monday after a wicked weekend). Buddy missed an elk with that gun (he got it new). Had peep on tang but bbl shifted, wouldn't set right (oh to discover after the hunt). I got it from him CHEAP, and worked it over. It shot roundball very well. Made my farthest MZ kill with it, 178 yards. Offhand, quartering away. Bullet hit at front of left hip/paunch and came out just right of center.........of her throat. I picked a spot on a tree in the background and checked 3 times before touching off. had a definitive aiming point and just dropped it in. Was a small doe, I knew it too, but the shot was so "set up" I just had to blast her.
    Sold that gun when i got into Knight inlines for a spell, guy at work who got it killed quite a few deer with it, said it was the best TC he ever had or saw :)
    FWIW I never had to play with loads or mess around when running #11 and reg FFg BP. 90-110gr, roundball .495" swaged, and a thick cotton patch (fabric store, bought by the yard)...........they all shot good once broken in. BP substitutes about made me go bald, pulling out my hair. Hell, even my Knights shot great, with reg BP and #11..........sabot or full bore (Maxihunters).
    The ordeal of BP sub and this rough bore stainless Hawken of mine, pretty much ruined me on muzzleloaders. It works OK now, but the memories of the BS are still too fresh in my mind. Honestly, it made me HATE muzzleloading, enough that mine's sitting locked up.............I'd rather take a dang recurve in this cold than mess with a fixed breech rig.

Good luck to you stubborn folks who endure the fun of fake BP. I'm just too old and cranky to mess with that crap any more ;)

Top Bottom