• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette
    I recently got my LTCH and I'm a newbie. I'm looking to buy my first handgun and I'm trying to do it right. By that, I mean that I've been reading the forums here, reading reviews on the internet, and trying to shoot a number of guns to try them out. Here's what I've come up with so far: I've shot Bersa's .380 and 9mm, S&W MP 9mm, Ruger LC9, a couple of Glocks (a 19 and another I don't remember).
    The Bersa .380 felt great in my hand, shot consistently for me and I really like the gun. I also liked the Bersa 9mm. It seemed that both of the Bersas shot low and right for me. The S&W was OK - I wasn't as comfortable with it as I was with the Bersa, but it may be just a matter of getting used to it. I shot high and left with the S&W. The LC9 was about the same - definitely shootable and I could get used to it.
    The Glocks were a whole 'nother matter - I was all over the place with them. I would have been better off taking the magazine out and throwing it at the target. The guy I was with (his Glocks) just looked and said, "You and those guns DO not get along!" He couldn't see what I was doing differently, but it was pretty sad. I'm sure it was me, but have no idea why.
    For grins and giggles, I shot a SCCY CPX-2 (yeah, I know- cheap gun, blah, blah, blah) but I was pleasantly surprised. Ten shot groups at 10 yds were in the neighborhood of 5-6 inches and mostly within the rings. There were a few shots that took a hike, but not consistently high/low, left/right.

From my perspective, I'm leaning toward the Bersa .380 because I really like the gun, or the SCCY. I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, or any other advise you folks with more experience could give me. Thanks,

Ben Nelson

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 26, 2011
    Corner of Walk & Dont Walk
    You're on the right track . . . Shoot a bunch of guns, evaluate how they feel in the hand, and, more importantly, how well you shoot with them. In my case, the M&P 9 feels good in my hand. Yet, I can shoot 100 rounds with it, then pick up my son's Glock 19 and an shoot more accurately with the G19.

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    First off, Welcome to Ingo. I think you are on the right track concerning factors that contribute to choosing the right gun for you. A general rule of thought is to choose the one that you shoot the best and feels right to you. Other factors to consider are reliability reputations of the firearm and overall quality. Other factors are things like customer service etc. My own personal experience with Bersa has been a favorable one. At the moment I currently carry a Bersa Thunder .45acp UC Pro. I can't comment on SCCY. Good luck.

wesnellans

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    75   0   0
    Oct 6, 2012
    Marshall County
    Hard to tell, but I'm wondering if the true double action trigger setup would help you. I've found that a revolver like action allows you to maintain front sight discipline lots of times. Ymmv.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    :welcome:

It's great you were afforded the opportunity to try so many different pieces before making a final choice. You might eventually change your mind over time with some of the other guns you've tried and didn't like initially as you gain experience and confidence. As long as you're able to run it confidentially, am able to nail good groupings, and is comfortable to carry than that's what's important right now. As far as caliber, I would hands down go with 9mm over .380 for a few base reasons:

-availability (9mm is far more common)
    -cost pet round (.380 is more expensive)
    -9mm is going to bring more punch to bear than any .380

I'm on my third 9mm pistol for CC. I started off with an XD9 subcompact, but then sold that and got an XDM-9 compact when I wanted a longer barrel and sight radius. I sold that 4-5 months ago for an M&P-9 full size when I found that I have little difficulty concealed carrying a full size pistol via appendix carry. (And nothing beats the ergonomics and controllability of a full size)

Last edited:

Mgderf

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    May 30, 2009
    Lafayette
    I recently got my LTCH and I'm a newbie. I'm looking to buy my first handgun and I'm trying to do it right. By that, I mean that I've been reading the forums here, reading reviews on the internet, and trying to shoot a number of guns to try them out. Here's what I've come up with so far: I've shot Bersa's .380 and 9mm, S&W MP 9mm, Ruger LC9, a couple of Glocks (a 19 and another I don't remember).
    The Bersa .380 felt great in my hand, shot consistently for me and I really like the gun. I also liked the Bersa 9mm. It seemed that both of the Bersas shot low and right for me. The S&W was OK - I wasn't as comfortable with it as I was with the Bersa, but it may be just a matter of getting used to it. I shot high and left with the S&W. The LC9 was about the same - definitely shootable and I could get used to it.
    The Glocks were a whole 'nother matter - I was all over the place with them. I would have been better off taking the magazine out and throwing it at the target. The guy I was with (his Glocks) just looked and said, "You and those guns DO not get along!" He couldn't see what I was doing differently, but it was pretty sad. I'm sure it was me, but have no idea why.
    For grins and giggles, I shot a SCCY CPX-2 (yeah, I know- cheap gun, blah, blah, blah) but I was pleasantly surprised. Ten shot groups at 10 yds were in the neighborhood of 5-6 inches and mostly within the rings. There were a few shots that took a hike, but not consistently high/low, left/right.

From my perspective, I'm leaning toward the Bersa .380 because I really like the gun, or the SCCY. I'd appreciate any comments, suggestions, or any other advise you folks with more experience could give me. Thanks,

I was going to pm you, but you won't be able to respond except in this thread, so...

If you'd like to try some others I'd be happy to oblige.
    I'm also in Lafayette.
    I have a couple of Tanfoglio's, (CZ75 clones) one in .45acp, the other in 9mm that fit my hand like they were made for me.
    I also have a Baby Desert Eagle in .40S&W you;re welcome to try
    Revolvers? I have a few of those as well.

Let me know in this thread if you are interested and I'll pm you my contact info.

Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette
    I am right handed, and I kinda figured some of the issues (High/Low, Left/Right) are due to lack of experience and will become more consistent with range time.

rugertoter

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2011
    N.E. Corner

Sounds like you had better pick up a Bersa or the SCCY to me. :twocents:

dhw9am

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2008
    I would recommend the Bersa Thunder 380. Let's not get into a caliber discussion here. Where I live, 380 is only $2 a box more than 9MM.
    Anyway, the Bersa is VERY reliable, VERY accurate, and VERY easy to disassemble and clean.
    They are also VERY inexpensive.
    For a first gun, or just a new gun, they are hard to beat.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    For years I had said that the first pistol you get should be a 22 lr. You could learn to shoot well and get a good feel for trigger break and aiming cheap. Well now you would be lucky to find ammo to feed them so maybe the rim fire is no longer what I would tell people to get to start out. (I will most likely still say get the 22 anyways)

if grip angle and point ability are major factors you still need to shoot what feels good to really know what you can do when it is loaded. Seems that if you shoot a bersa well a walther PPK might be worth shooting for you. The new rem r51 might also be worth checking out based on your stated preferences. I think if you could get behind a 1911, browning hi power, m92 smith revolver, CZ75, sig 238, a LcR and maybe a sig DaO pistol you should be able to make some basic choices as to grip, sight radius, point ability, and accuracy. These pistols give a range of all the above factors in size weight and grip angle. I even threw in a couple of small pistols even though they are not the best starter guns.

I got a ruger mark II target first. Then came my LTCH and a smith model 60. Then came the hi power and 1911. All served me well. I did not shoot the m92 or any glock well myself. I don't shoot most DAO pistols well as I have yet to find one where I can tell where it is going to break on the trigger consistently causing me to slap trigger a bit on them.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    You are definitely on the right track. Handle and shoot as many guns as possible before you commit to one. Choice in firearms is a very personal thing. Bersas are a very solid brand. Not fancy, but very reliable and affordable. Proper training and practice will tighten up your groups.

spitfire51

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    What was it about the M&P that you didn't like? If it was a case of it not fitting your hand well, did you try any of the different sized backstraps?

Midskier

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 25, 2012
    NWI IL/IN BORDER
    Lucky for you to have a chance to try out several guns already - regardless of what some of the internet "experts" have to say the sccy is pretty awesome for the money. Bersa's also a good choice too. Don't sweat too much one which one to get, good bet it won't be your last ;-)

Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette
    What was it about the M&P that you didn't like? If it was a case of it not fitting your hand well, did you try any of the different sized backstraps?

It wasn't that I didn't like the M&P, It seemed to fit well and wasn't uncomfortable to shoot - just didn't seem to fit as well as the Bersa or the SCCY. I didn't get a chance to try any of the different backstraps, so that may be my next step.

Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette
    I was going to pm you, but you won't be able to respond except in this thread, so...

If you'd like to try some others I'd be happy to oblige.
    I'm also in Lafayette.
    I have a couple of Tanfoglio's, (CZ75 clones) one in .45acp, the other in 9mm that fit my hand like they were made for me.
    I also have a Baby Desert Eagle in .40S&W you;re welcome to try
    Revolvers? I have a few of those as well.

Let me know in this thread if you are interested and I'll pm you my contact info.

Thank you very much for the offer - I really appreciate it. It'll probably be a couple of weeks before I can get back to you. Dealing with ISTEP and IREAD and all the other B.S. testing the State puts kids through in the name of "education" this week, and then have to travel and empty out a deceased relative's house - the fun never ends...

Lafteacher62

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2014
    Lafayette
    Want to thank everybody for your responses - I seem to pick up a lot of good information every time I log in here, and this was no exception. I appreciate your comments on what I need to consider and especially about other guns to look into and consider. Thank you all!

sliptap

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 25, 2013
    Indianapolis

As far as 9mm versus 380, I think you should read this article:

When does a .380 beat a 9mm? - Personal Defense Network

It definitely puts everything into perspective. Try not to get caught up in the caliber hype...if you feel like you shoot the Bersa the best, choose that. You want to carry what you can shoot the best, because your life might depend on it. Although a 380 isn't as powerful as a 9mm, it does have less recoil and follow up shots are definitely easier. Besides, I don't know any person who would laugh at the thought of a 380 hitting them.

You're on the right track. Keep testing guns and choose what feels right to you. Practice makes perfect and most other cliches also apply ;)

45fan

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 20, 2011
    East central IN
    While I wont try to steer you away from the .380 because of any objection to the caliber, and its abilities, I will suggest that you secure a decent source for practice ammo before you lock your sights on a gun in that caliber. SD ammo is difficult, but not impossible to locate right now, but it seems that the less expensive FMJ, or even LRN ammo is next to impossible to find.

If you shot the Bersa 9, and it was comparable to the .380, it is a valid consideration, and ammunition isnt going to be nearly as difficult to locate for you to get practice in. The best gun in the world for you would be as useful as a pet rock if you cant find ammo to practice with.

As far as some guns consistently shooting high/low for you, sometimes a change in bullet weight will fix that issue for you. Depending on the gun, the sights can be adjusted too, it the groups are staying to one side or the other of center for you.

Top Bottom