Could I get some advice from a handy person?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    So, I just moved yesterday.

The vent/duct/thing for my dryer is on the floor. Which is annoying, as the dryer sticks out like a foot or more from the wall. But it's alright.

Here's my question. I jammed the duct as far as it would go into this questionable hole in the floor, but I'm really not pleased with how poorly it seals, or the fact that really it doesn't seal at all and it's just jammed in to the floor. When I put my foot next to it I can feel some heat coming back up out of it. Not a ridiculous amount, but still. I can't fasten it air tight like you would if you fit it around a wall duct.

Can anyone think of anything non-flammable/heat resistant that I could fit around this duct to make it as air tight as possible without causing a fire/explosion/implosion/meteor crash? Is there already something somebody invented that I can just buy at a hardware store? I bet there is. If so I'm going to facepalm myself for posting this.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated :D

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I take it this is on a second floor and you can't see what is under the floor? Or is there a basement under the dryer you can see what it is connected to?

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Nope, it's a first floor apartment but yeah no basement, really no way to look further I'm really not even sure where the vent feeds out I assume outside somewhere and not to the living room of some poor sap next to me.

Just want to seal it somehow.

canterbc

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Jul 13, 2012
    Noblesville
    Yep, foil tape would be a quick fix. Lowe's also has this expandable foam in a can that would work. One variety is called fire stop so I would guess the heat wont bother it.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    The aluminum foil tape is definitely the thing to use. It sticks to everything and makes a great seal.
    Menards has some that is about 1 1/2 in. X 50 yards for about $6.99

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    Thank you, you guys! I so appreciate the quick responses. I will pick some of this fabled foil tape up tomorrow.

See this is why I love this forum. :) :ingo:

+1 for all! :yesway:

Mods you can close this thread if you want.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Without pictures, I think you're saying there's no sheet metal duct stubbing up out of the floor???? It sounds like you've just got a hole in which you jammed you're vent duct???? If I'm correctly picturing what you've got, you might buy a piece of ducting (sheet metal) and clamp your dryer vent to that, and then slide that duct into the hole.

ditto

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 3, 2012
    Newburgh
    It sounds like you've just got a hole in which you jammed you're vent duct???? If I'm correctly picturing what you've got, you might buy a piece of ducting (sheet metal) and clamp your dryer vent to that, and then slide that duct into the hole.

lol yep that's pretty much it. That's a good idea, too. I could buy the ducting and tape around the base to keep it on the floor. Best of both worlds.

OH THE POSSIBILITIES

edit: I'll be sure to rep you tomorrow night for that, godfearinguntotin - ran out of rep tonight. Thanks!

! twitty

Master
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    May 1, 2011
    NE Indy
    If it is an apartment, then who cares. Buy some duct tape and wrap it around it a few times. Otherwise, foil tape will work if you are ok with spending a little more.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Don't use anything BUT metal, whether it's foil tape, aluminum tubing, or galvanized steel. NO PLASTIC. Plastic just invites fire. There may be plastic in what they've installed, and you can't help that, but do what you do the right way.

CathyInBlue

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Before I just blindly sealed a dryer vent to the floor, I'd investigate where that's going. Pull out the flex line and the dryer and get the ol' Mk. I eyeball down in there. Maybe the metal stub-out just fell in. And yeah, if it's maintenance, get them to earn their $25/hr and fix whatever's broken/missing.

Top Bottom