Could Gun Registration Have Prevented Katrina Gun-Grab?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Did the Katrina gun owners get their guns back?

:lmfao: ARE YOU KIDDING ME???

The one's they COULD track down got them back. All heaping, rusted, broken, worthless, destroyed one of them they could find. The guns not the people. The NRA went down there and showed us pictures of the rubbermaid tubs and 55 gal drums packed full of guns, thrown in, crammed in, rusty and broken.

No, they did not get their guns back. They got scrap back. And the NRA was just fine with that. No compensation. No reperations. The NRA spent millions all just to give rusted heaps back to the people without any other kind of compensation.

Needless to say I'm still pissed to no freaking end about that. I dropped my NRA membership for a year because of it. I went back, only because they are the ones with the most influence in Washinton at the moment.

:xmad:

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    To me there is no reason for registration. The only thing it does is identify the law abiding gun owner and leaves the ones who are criminals to go about their business. It is an infringement of something that is not to be infringed.
    You just hit on the perfect solution, Annie! All we need is some way to ensure that it's used as follows, and it would be flawless.

We have all lawful gun owners register all their lawfully owned firearms, then the cops can search the other houses top to bottom to find the illegal ones.

Unfortunately, making sure that that's the only way it's ever used would be like trying to figure out "Step 2":

Step 1: Collect underpants
    Step 2: ???
    Step 3: Profit!

[ame=http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2_MpZWzXQFU]YouTube - South Park: Underpant Gnomes Song[/ame]

Blessings,
    Bill

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    Did the Katrina gun owners get their guns back?

HA... not a chance in hell.

I stand corrected. :D

May I ask what unit that was?

We would have to talk about this in private... Katrina isnt exactly a bright period in my life and I definatly will not be talking details on an open public forum... esp to someone whom i do not know... maybe if we meet somewhere for beers, and you are a standup guy.......

phil

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Apr 2, 2009
    Bristol
    Has registration ever helped anyone?

It has NEVER helped me. 95% of my firearms are regestered. 10 years ago I moved to this fine state and was living in a hotel till I could find an appartment. I got a storage unint to "protect" my belongings. In less than a week it was broken into. 19 guns were stolen. I have not heard a thing about any of them.

If registartion does not "help" us then what does it do for us?

Obviousely....IMO....Registration is only for the Govt to know who is "LEAGALLY" posessing firearms. Why do they need to know that....unless....they are planning to disarm us!

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL
    Didn't the Fed. government and several states pass laws that such confiscation was no longer allowed - no matter what the circumstances? (Natural disasters, etc.)

SigSense

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 30, 2008
    Louisville, KY
    Didn't the Fed. government and several states pass laws that such confiscation was no longer allowed - no matter what the circumstances? (Natural disasters, etc.)

Doesn't matter what laws/rules are on the books, if some government entity (local/municipal/federal) decides they want to do anything, they will do it. I have worked for the US Government for 25 plus years and see this crap all the time. Look at the current administration!

Lex Concord

Not so well-known member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Morgan County
    The MILITARY was not involved in these actions. These were the actions of the New Orleans Police Department.

I believe there were actually NG from at least 4 different states in LA at the time. I believe at least one participated in the door-to-door gun grabs in concert with the NOLA PD.

While I would have to verify the official status there, it seems likely that they would, indeed, qualify as military, as they were likely federalized for the trip.

HICKMAN

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Jan 10, 2009
    Lawrence Co.
    HA... not a chance in hell.

We would have to talk about this in private... Katrina isnt exactly a bright period in my life and I definatly will not be talking details on an open public forum... esp to someone whom i do not know... maybe if we meet somewhere for beers, and you are a standup guy.......

I'd love to join in and buy a round, making me not want to rejoin the 38th... :(

smokingman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 11, 2008
    Indiana
    Huh...

Really I was part of that force...

Nope I can not recall ever being ordered to disarm Americans. I do remember Military units telling the Police that were disarming people to quit though... :D

Please post the video link so I can see what units were involved in these actions! Thank you!
    ABC News video on September 8 showed National Guard troops going house-to-house, smashing down doors, searching for residents, and confiscating guns. Every victim of disarmament was clearly not a thug or looter, but a decent resident wanting to defend his or her home.
    Many of the troops were clearly conflicted by their orders. "It is surreal," said one member of the Oklahoma National Guard who was going door-to-door in New Orleans. "You never expect to do this in your own country."
    Many never would have expected it -- confiscating firearms from decent people who were relying on those firearms to protect themselves from the looters.
    It was an outrageous order -- one that should not have been obeyed. There was no constitutional authority for the directive, and it ignored the fact that many good people had already used firearms to successfully defend their lives and property.

And a link to the NRA legal site about the disarming.
    NRA-ILA :: Turning Tragedy Into Travesty
    The military did help.Maybe not all units,but certainly some of them did.
    and the youtube vid from ABC
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sm5PC7z79-8[/ame]

Last edited:

dburkhead

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Doesn't matter what laws/rules are on the books, if some government entity (local/municipal/federal) decides they want to do anything, they will do it. I have worked for the US Government for 25 plus years and see this crap all the time. Look at the current administration!

Bingo. I mean, there's already a law on the books forbidding the government from infringing on the right to keep and bear arms but....

flagtag

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Westville, IL

I agree - we're in DEEP do-do with them. Unfortunately, when HE is gone, the rest (lifers) will still be there. :xmad:

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    I guess my first question would be, why would anyone in your unit follow an order that wasn't legal?

Thats a hard one to answer... if you look a few posts below yours you will see a video... lets just say that that video does not even come CLOSE in the least to the way things went down in the AO's i opperated in in N.O. it was the 38th that i was with, but there were higher powers at work and EVERYONE was in charge of us.... lets just say that I am affraid of what the military can do during martial law, because i have participated in it and i will leave it there not for suspence but because i feel obligated not to let my experiences hit a public forum. and to set the record straight, i do not believe martial law was ever declared... had it been, God Help Us. as for that round, i may take you up on that.

INRanger

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 13, 2009
    IndyGunworks - As a soldier it is your responsibility to understand as well a defend the constitution. I don't know what orders you followed or decisions you made and believe me brother I wouldn't any against you. No one who wasn't to your left or right has any place to judge. I do hope that you and the members of your unit learned a valuable lesson, so if our country is ever faced with similar misfortune history does not repeat. The statement " EVERYONE was in charge of us" is a very sorry statement it tells me your chain of command failed you in a very fundamental way. Ours is not to reason why...******** why is only an uncomfortable question to those that didn't have the personal courage(oh I did!) to ask it themselves.

Top Bottom