• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    Not as much detail as you guys are posting but I take a very expensive med for arthritis. It is shipped from a warehouse about 15 miles from my house. Every month I call to refill it and arrange delivery and talk to someone in India. Who I may or may not be able to understand. Thanks to Uncle Sam my hearing is shot...literally. If it is too frustrating trying to understand them I tell them to get me an American to talk to. They can connect me to them and the issue gets resolved.

Find it frustrating to be charged $1500/week and not be able to speak to someone I can understand.

Insurance and copay assistance picks up the cost so I actually pay very little for the med.

Don
    I can empathize.

Can't you set it up on a website instead?

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    WFH-ers are digging their own graves in the long term. Anything you can do from a computer, someone else somewhere else can do from a computer cheaper. Everyone seems to think it will be Bay Area salaries forever while they live like a king in rural Colorado or wherever. Nope, they'll get replaced by someone who will do the job for $40k because they live in Kansas, and then that person will be replaced by someone who will do the job for $25k because they live in Mumbai.

Making yourself dispensable by a mouse click is a fool's game.
    Where in the world did this silly idea that working from home makes one more replaceable even come from? If you or your position is that easily replaced by someone willing to work for much less, you are in trouble regardless of where you do your work.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Where in the world did this silly idea that working from home makes one more replaceable even come from? If you or your position is that easily replaced by someone willing to work for much less, you are in trouble regardless of where you do your work.

Really? You don't see that if you take your job home and successfully prove it can be done remotely that could be the catalyst for the company thinking it could be done elsewhere cheaper.

No need to help them figure out your job can be done remotely...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This "Great Resignation" talk is just the latest hyped crisis.

Will a lot of people maybe change jobs? Sure, but there aren't many people who will drop out and just not work. This means that you may have some pieces being rearranged on the chess board, but essentially, the same number of people will be working as before. The job someone hates will be seen as an improvement for someone else.

Work from home? Not for me, but I know a lot of people who do what I do who work from home. Wouldn't work for me, though. I know myself, so I went to the office every work day over the past 2 years. If it works for people- more power to them. As someone said up-thread, businesses should be able to figure out whether it will work for them and set policy based on what they find. I will agree that it will require management to see past their own biases about whether or not WFH can work.

What I foresee is a cratering of commercial real estate as more and more companies with office-based workforces realize they don't need nearly as much space as they used to. Those leases are not all coming up for renewal yet, but over the next 5 years- oof.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    Really? You don't see that if you take your job home and successfully prove it can be done remotely that could be the catalyst for the company thinking it could be done elsewhere cheaper.

No need to help them figure out your job can be done remotely...
    A job or person that can be easily replaced likely will be, whether it is with someone working remotely elsewhere, outsourced to another country, or by imported labor. To think that having employees successfully work from home is the cause of the replacement is beyond silly, although it may be a convenient excuse in some cases.

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    Not meaning to sound like a wise guy, but as far as jobs being eliminated, sublet or just going out of business. every job that I ever lost was a job that was on location every day. One field tech job, I was actually terminated on Friday, and no one called me because I was on a break down out of state. I was working around the clock so I was none the wiser.

When I got off the plane at O'hare the next Wednesday, my company credit card did not work. I called into the office and they told me the whole department was eliminated. They did eventually balance my expense account, but it was still crappy.

The company that had taken over soon ran the whole place into the ground.

If someone in charge of the money cuts you loose, it does not matter who you are or where you perform your tasks.

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    When I first started in my field, permanent WFH was an option, because the company I was working for wanted to have candidates from across the US, instead of candidates tied to specific geographical locations. Then we had an old timer take the reigns of the company and he scaled back those positions because WFH was foreign to his experience and way of thinking. Also, like HP and/or some of the other big companies that made headlines for stopping WFH policies, there were managers that had no idea how to manage people working from home (which means they didn't know how to manage in general). Instead of realizing they have a management problem and not a worker/policy problem, companies often find it easier to remove WFH and force employees into the office, instead of trying to get their managers to manage effectively.

Anyway, to get back to the point, there are lots of companies who have WFH positions that hire from around the country or sometimes around the world. I don't think my salary is going to be drastically affected any time soon, or my job go away to another state that pays less. Telecommuting has been around a long time and I think the market has adjusted to that, at least somewhat. It doesn't mean there might not be exceptions to that from time to time, but often companies will do almost anything to save a buck, or at least do something that makes it look like they've saved a buck.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    This "Great Resignation" talk is just the latest hyped crisis...

...Some 11.5 million Americans quit their jobs in April, May and June, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. And a recent Gallup poll found that nearly half of all workers are actively searching for other work.

It's part of what's become known as the Great Resignation—and if you're a manager, you might be wondering whether there's anything you can do to keep your employees on the job...

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

...Some 11.5 million Americans quit their jobs in April, May and June, according to the U.S. Department of Labor. And a recent Gallup poll found that nearly half of all workers are actively searching for other work.

It's part of what's become known as the Great Resignation—and if you're a manager, you might be wondering whether there's anything you can do to keep your employees on the job...
    Are they just going to not work?

Nazgul

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 2, 2012
    Near the big river.
    I can empathize.

Can't you set it up on a website instead?
    They always tell me to do it online. I went there and set up my account about 6 months ago. It would not complete the order after I entered it. Called the number twice, on hold until I gave up. Tried online after a month and it worked, once, about 3 months ago. Hasn't worked since.

Again, at that price why can't they get a working website????

Don

KLB

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 12, 2011
    Porter County
    They always tell me to do it online. I went there and set up my account about 6 months ago. It would not complete the order after I entered it. Called the number twice, on hold until I gave up. Tried online after a month and it worked, once, about 3 months ago. Hasn't worked since.

Again, at that price why can't they get a working website????

Don
    That is an excellent question.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    no "Great Resignation" happening here. We have been WFH-optional for about 10 years. I have worked "remote" for about 6 years or so. Not only has our salaried staff retention rate been HIGHER than previous years, I have been able to recruit top talent exceptionally fast. Granted, we are a technology company. Folks are used to the WFH toolset.

We also have a large hourly contact center staff. Completely different story there. Much higher attrition. These folks are also much more "portable" as our chief competitors are other contact centers and then any other hourly work (eg: factories). That said, we just over hire by another several percent and let nature run its course. The good folks stay, and those that don't flourish in this environment leave.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    A job or person that can be easily replaced likely will be, whether it is with someone working remotely elsewhere, outsourced to another country, or by imported labor. To think that having employees successfully work from home is the cause of the replacement is beyond silly, although it may be a convenient excuse in some cases.

That one cannot see the opening of Pandora's box is even more silly...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    As I said earlier, telecommuting has been a thing for decades now. It's not really new, just getting looked at in greater detail due to the recent lockdowns. Pandora's box has been open for quite a while now... ;)

Agree fully. But, for many positions that never were before typically WFH their Pandora's box just got opened and the positions may be affected

wtburnette

WT(aF)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    45   0   0
    Nov 11, 2013
    SW side of Indy
    Agree fully. But, for many positions that never were before typically WFH their Pandora's box just got opened and the positions may be affected

There could be a percentage that go away. The thing is, it's been known for a while that these jobs could be done remotely and nothing really changed. Just because they are being done remotely now doesn't necessarily mean they're ripe to be sent elsewhere. Any job where you sit in a cube and bang on a keyboard all day could be a remote position, which means it could be done anywhere. That's not a new concept.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Pandora's box has clearly been open for quite some time now. Pretending that working in an office instead of at home will some how close it doesn't pass the laugh test.

What is even sillier is the adamant refusal to just accept a simple point. I'm not pretending anything. Are you saying that NO company had their eyes opened, from employees working from home during the pandemic, that they now believe they can outsource some jobs to other locations cheaper now. I didn't say all, I just made a logical observation of the curren landscape.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Is the "office worker" landscape changing? Yes.

Is it detrimental for some? Yes.

Is it a benefit for others? Yes.

Is corporate America "not learning?" On the contrary. Many of us learned a while ago. Others are either figuring it out, or accepting the consequences.

This recent "shift" only reinforces a key concept for me: produce more value than you consume, and you stay. The moment that your work can be done cheaper, you are not needed.

Corollary: If you cannot be replaced, you cannot be promoted.

two70

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Feb 5, 2016
    Johnson
    What is even sillier is the adamant refusal to just accept a simple point. I'm not pretending anything. Are you saying that NO company had their eyes opened, from employees working from home during the pandemic, that they now believe they can outsource some jobs to other locations cheaper now. I didn't say all, I just made a logical observation of the curren landscape.
    It really doesn't matter how simple a point is, if it is wrong. Do you really think a company said to itself: "Gee, my employees are more productive when working from home and I have lower overhead so I think I'll outsource their jobs to India"? Any company that believes that remote Chinese or Indian workers can do the job well enough, already went that route or was already heading that direction. If/when outsourcing equals a net benefit it'll likely be done regardless but reducing overhead and increasing productivity by working from home makes outsourcing less likely not more so.

Top Bottom