Conventional GPS or Smart Phone GPS Apps for hunting in the middle of no where?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Garmin eTrex20 (spare batteries) with a good compass and maps.

Relying on cell phones or only one point of failure is asking for trouble. Save the cell phone battery to call for help in case of emergency.

bkflyer

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 23, 2011
    Could you explain to me how the GPS in a smartphone works? I just got back from Germany and had NO luck at all. I kept my phone and IPad in airplane mode to avoid charges and got no reception at all.

Streck-Fu

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jul 2, 2010
    Noblesville
    Could you explain to me how the GPS in a smartphone works? I just got back from Germany and had NO luck at all. I kept my phone and IPad in airplane mode to avoid charges and got no reception at all.

In airplane mode, the phone does not transmit at all. Some may not receive.

Smartphones have built a built in GPS receiver but also rely on fine tuning your position by using cell tower locations. This is why your position information is most accurate in densly populated areas, even more so with WiFi.
    You can still use your phone GPS without a data connection if you download a mapping app that lets you save maps to your phone. It will only work within that defined map so make sure you include all the areas you may visits...and the files are very large. It will use the GPS only to approximate your location but won't be as accurate as a dedicated device. Also, smart phone GPS receivers are not as sensitive as dedicated units so you may have trouble getting reception in canopy.

Last edited:

simpleman44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    white county
    Get a gps, compass, and maps and learn to use them. Phone will be inaccurate at best. Have used a garmin etrex20 the last 2 yrs in the back country of colorado with no problems. Also carry topo maps of the area and have a compass. The rockies are huge and u will get turned around easily if you cant use all of the above.:yesway:

philo

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 24, 2010
    Peoples Republic of Bloomington
    If you want to be able to log a particularly good fishing hole, file a claim for mineral rights (gold, etc), or have hours of fun playing with an electronic gadget when you should be looking around then get a stand alone GPS. If you want to make a call, send a text, or check your email bring a smartphone. If you want to navigate and not get lost in the back-country get a map and compass and potentially aerial photos. Learn to read the map, learn to use the compass and learn to find your location on a photo. Batteries don't go dead on a map and compass!

If you are looking for topo's for Ontario try this Make a Topographic Map - MNR Other resources are available as well and Google is your friend

Your op doesn't say where you're located, but if you're near me I can help you with the basics of map/compass/aerial photo use. In other parts of the state I'm sure we have other INGOers who would help.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    The GPS receiving capabilities of a smart phone and a stand-alone GPS unit are not the same.

I went on a couple hunting trips in Montana using my smart phone for GPS, with great success. But this was in wide open areas with little tree cover. So for turkey season last spring, I elected to do the same thing. Big mistake. In the hills of Jackson County, under thick trees but with no leaves, I could not get a GPS signal. I was in a remote area and I ended up lost for an hour before my dead reckoning got me back to familiar territory.

My cheap stand-alone Garmin eTrex had never had any problems in this same location.

Never again will I count on a smart phone to provide GPS is a remote location without a backup unit.

Top Bottom