• ...and so much more!
  • gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    I am interested in whether it would be construed by the INGO masses as being rude, inappropriate or otherwise not a good thing to do to notify a seller about the prices they are asking.

I'm not talking about beating on a guy because you don't like their price. I'm talking about letting a seller know that item X is readily available for much less than their asking price and that may be why they aren't getting much action. Just to help, not to berate.

Would most folks react negatively to that?

I ask because I have received messages from people letting me know. I didn't take it negatively, but constructively. But then again I am like that.

What made me think of this is I see a guy trying to sell an item for $150 more than what anyone can pay right now. And the new version is improved with more accessories.

76Too

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    50   0   0
    Dec 9, 2019
    Just Passing Through
    I’ve done this in rare cases. Last week I informed someone on another site that his asking price for an optic was $200 over what it could be purchased for new (on sale).

Seller thanked me for making him aware and that he paid double the current sale price and that he was just going to keep the optic as opposed to taking an even bigger hit on it.

I think so long as sufficient tact is utilized, it’d be odd for you to receive a negative reaction.

If the sellers original ad includes the phrase ‘I know what I have’ or ‘I have way more invested this than my asking price’, maybe save your breath?

Last edited:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’ve done this in rare cases. Last week I informed someone on another site that his asking price for an optic was $200 over what it could be purchased for new (on sale).

Seller thanked me for making him aware and that he paid double the current sale price and that he was just going to keep the optic as opposed to taking an even bigger hit on it.
    This is usually the reason for the price. Those in the know get better prices and those that don’t know are between a rock and hard place if they want to sell. They usually don’t want to hear our opinions of the market value…

KellyinAvon

Blue-ID Mafia Consigliere
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 22, 2012
    Avon
    Just like the rest of the world there’s all kinds of people out there on Ingo. Often you never know until you get a reply.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    I am interested in whether it would be construed by the INGO masses as being rude, inappropriate or otherwise not a good thing to do to notify a seller about the prices they are asking.

I'm not talking about beating on a guy because you don't like their price. I'm talking about letting a seller know that item X is readily available for much less than their asking price and that may be why they aren't getting much action. Just to help, not to berate.

Would most folks react negatively to that?

I ask because I have received messages from people letting me know. I didn't take it negatively, but constructively. But then again I am like that.

What made me think of this is I see a guy trying to sell an item for $150 more than what anyone can pay right now. And the new version is improved with more accessories.

Meh....

Like the price? Buy.
    Don't like the price? Dont' buy.

Guy can't figure out why he cannot move his stuff? That's the idiot's problem; not mine.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Depends on the member. A regular who participates in the forum a lot and occasionally post something up for sale, I'll send them a message.

And if they are a complete noob, I have done the same.

I make it clear that I'm not interested in buying it, and usually provide a link with the item at a lower price.

I've only don't this a handful of times.

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    If I am interested in an item. I just start a conversation and tell them hey I see 1300 for item X. I can do 900 as that is what I see them going for. If you want to sell it for 900 let me know. I can drive to it for this price.

If it is something I could care less about I will not send a message. Makes sense to me as I most likely did not read the add. It can just get bumped and bumped.

So things are much harder to get a price on. Pandemic stimulus did cause a price increase on sold items across the board.
    Used items can vary wildly.
    I don’t buy used what I can still get in new production if the quality is the same (shame Remington shame). I need my local gun dealers available in the future. Don’t mind paying the extra 27.93 cents over a used one.

BigRed

Banned More Than You
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Dec 29, 2017
    1,000 yards out
    There are also cases where the person is being pressured to sell something they don't want to get rid of. Having it listed at a high price satisfies the other party that you are "trying" to sell it. The added benefit is if you actually DO sell it, you can replace it and make a profit! :rockwoot:

This is true!

My wife wanted me to sell some rifles back when I had some. It took a long time to get rid of Mosin Carbines at $899.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    Meh....

Like the price? Buy.
    Don't like the price? Dont' buy.

Guy can't figure out why he cannot move his stuff? That's the idiot's problem; not mine.
    This.

I research prices before I list stuff and like to think I set fair and realistic prices. I also check market prices to compare to an asking price if there is something I want to buy. I see no reason to do the research for someone else.

If they list it too high and it doesn't sell, eventually they'll lower the price or keep sitting on it. None of that is my business. I see stuff listed way too high all the time. I just roll my eyes and think, "good luck with that buddy."

gregkl

Outlier
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Apr 8, 2012
    Bloomington
    One time CM sent me a message when I was listing magazines shortly after Sandy Hook. He commended me for selling them at very reasonable prices.

I also had a guy let me know that something I was selling was readily available for less so I checked it and repriced my item accordingly.

I guess people are just kinda thin skinned when it comes to buying and selling, lol.

I have contacted 1 or 2 and on one I didn't get a favorable response. Like some of you have mentioned, it's really none of my business and offering unsolicited advice is not something I typically do. With anything.

Top Bottom