Considering a Pistol Caliber Carbine...which is best?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • TacOpsGuy320

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Feb 25, 2020
    Greenfield
    I really like my Sig MPX Gen2 competition pcc. Out of the box it’s really good and there’s a lot you can do to make it your own flavor. It shoots pretty soft as well. Have fun with the search.

IndyBeerman

Was a real life Beerman.....
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    Garbage action, a bolt that bottoms out every time. It's poorly designed functionally to accommodate an awkward, non - firing, folded, position. It is what is and when I'm 60 ill probably wish I had a few in the box

I'm thinking some design changes of a just a little longer buffer tube with a tad heavier spring, canted downward charging bolt, larger folding shoulder pad allowing for a better alignment that doubled as a locking device when folded up would go a loooong way of making it more enjoyable to own/shoot. But, what do I know, I'm just a former owner of one that had the same problems as most people who owned who and no longer do.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    What's the deal with CMMG's AR-based PCCs? I don't think AR is ideal for a PCC but they seem to have done their homework and I'm seeing reports that generally they are GTG? Is this true?

I'd really love to have 9mm and 10mm variants.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    What's the deal with CMMG's AR-based PCCs? I don't think AR is ideal for a PCC but they seem to have done their homework and I'm seeing reports that generally they are GTG? Is this true?

I'd really love to have 9mm and 10mm variants.

Don't know anything about them, but for the price they cost you can almost buy 2 Just Right Carbines and they have them in 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, .45ACP and 10mm

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Don't know anything about them, but for the price they cost you can almost buy 2 Just Right Carbines and they have them in 9mm, .40S&W, .357SIG, .45ACP and 10mm

My only experience with a jrc was enough to keep me away forever. It was a marathon jam session that would wear out a phish fan.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area

They are expensive because they are a proprietary, improved radial delay blowback design. Its not just another AR-9, but a softer shooter. Kinda trying to replicate Sig's rolling block design to delay blowback to make them quieter suppressed, as well as reducing the shock impulse passed to the shooter.

KJQ6945

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 5, 2012
    Texas
    I love INGO. Thread title was about the BEST PCC, but we still discuss the cheapest. This place makes me smile. :D

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I love INGO. Thread title was about the BEST PCC, but we still discuss the cheapest. This place makes me smile. :D

It's why I no longer read product reviews on websites, a review is immediately biased to protect the writers ego vs being objective and comparitive.

I can't trust blogs or video reviews. Influencer culture has killed integrity.

I've got a handful of trusted sources for honesty and in depth knowledge, ingo as a whole isn't one. There are a few experts within the crowd, but they seem to get yelled down by the jaga hive.

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield
    My only experience with a jrc was enough to keep me away forever. It was a marathon jam session that would wear out a phish fan.

Friend of mine bought a JRC from his neighbor that had a issue of jams and stovepipes. for half the cost of new, broke it apart, cleaned the :poop: out of it, turned out the original owner, never cleaned it and was shooting wolf ammo through it. Not saying you did either one of these, but there has to be a fixable issue. Did you contact JR and sent it back in for warranty work? I know Rhino had one, don't know if he still does, but he had a problem od a out of round chamber that he had reamed.

I've had nary a problem with mine and I'm thinking of getting the .40 conversion kit and possibly threading the 9mm bbl and adding a suppressor because I bought mine b4 they started threading the bbls.

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    Friend of mine bought a JRC from his neighbor that had a issue of jams and stovepipes. for half the cost of new, broke it apart, cleaned the :poop: out of it, turned out the original owner, never cleaned it and was shooting wolf ammo through it. Not saying you did either one of these, but there has to be a fixable issue. Did you contact JR and sent it back in for warranty work? I know Rhino had one, don't know if he still does, but he had a problem od a out of round chamber that he had reamed.

I've had nary a problem with mine and I'm thinking of getting the .40 conversion kit and possibly threading the 9mm bbl and adding a suppressor because I bought mine b4 they started threading the bbls.

Thankfully it wasn't mine. My uspsa pcc (homebuilt blowback AR9) hasn't been cleaned, ever. I drip clp on the bolt and that's the extent. Same with the cx4 I had, and the stribog I still have. I just don't have time to play qc roulette. I have 2 kids and a wife, each malfunction takes time away from my limited range trips.

climber1218

Marksman
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Aug 2, 2011
    Converse
    I really like the Beretta CX4...lightweight, maneuverable, easy to disassemble and clean, and looks great BUT the trigger does suck; consequently, getting the Sierra Papa trigger upgrade will cost you some extra bucks! I've heard great things about the CZ Scorpion...may need to get one someday! Kriss Vector is fun to shoot but it is bulky and expensive!

WebSnyper

Time to make the chimichangas
    Rating - 100%
    59   0   0
    Jul 3, 2010

To be fair, the OP listed several of which many were not in the high end spectrum of what's available and he asked folks about the why they selected what they did.

But I agree to some extent. Definitely being able to buy 2 or 3 jamo o matics for the same price as a well built, flawlessly functioning model of PDW is not a reason that the jam o matic is "better".

Gingerbeardman

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 17, 2017
    Anderson
    I have been wanting a PCC for a long time for two reasons: 1, I have a lot of Glock mags I'd like to use in a carbine and a pistol and 2, it would allow me to shoot another class of steel challenge. I read this entire string and then promptly bought a Rossi 92 in .44 mag. Yeah it only holds ten and it doesn't utilize ANY mags, but it's cool factor is huge and hey, technically it's a PCC!

Ggreen

Person
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Sep 19, 2016
    SouthEast
    I have been wanting a PCC for a long time for two reasons: 1, I have a lot of Glock mags I'd like to use in a carbine and a pistol and 2, it would allow me to shoot another class of steel challenge. I read this entire string and then promptly bought a Rossi 92 in .44 mag. Yeah it only holds ten and it doesn't utilize ANY mags, but it's cool factor is huge and hey, technically it's a PCC!

If you read this entire thread and bought a rossi, we failed you. Lol

IndyBeerman

Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 2, 2008
    Plainfield

If you read this entire thread and bought a rossi, we failed you. Lol

No, we did not fail him. he decided cool factor was more important than functionality. That was his choice.

Magneto

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 6, 2009
    New Albany
    I looked for a PCC and had pretty much decided on a Stribog. Someone asked me if I considered an EP9. Never heard of one. After some research I decided that was my choice. Problem is they are constantly sold out. Two weeks ago got lucky and nabbed one. Still hasn't shipped because they are so backed up. Looks perfect for what I want.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn

They are expensive because they are a proprietary, improved radial delay blow-back design. Its not just another AR-9, but a softer shooter. Kinda trying to replicate Sig's rolling block design to delay blow-back to make them quieter suppressed, as well as reducing the shock impulse passed to the shooter.

Probably leaning toward a CMMG Banshee in 9mm...based on many factors including the wife's liking how it 'felt' to her in her hands!
    (Interpretation: 'feels good' really means, 'this is the one'! And, seriously, if one doesn't think that telling a woman how something should 'feel',
    be it right or wrong, in her hands, won't get you maimed for life or, at best, an early death, you haven't been around a real woman!
    And, as the wife will probably be using it as much, if not more, than I will...it is definitely a factor in the considerations! :) :) :) )
    But, based on some research (online) and in speaking with a few guys who have a few of the previously mentioned AR-9mil's, everyone was positive
    about the CMMG Banshee, but all seemed to have improvement suggestions for each of the others, I think we'll be pretty happy with our choice!
    Thanks y'all! All of the feedback was greatly appreciated!

Last edited:

venenoindy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jul 14, 2009
    Noblesville
    Just pick up a PSA AKV9 and couldn't be happier, controls are easy to manipulate and all though I don't have a lot of experience with the AK pattern I'm really liking it. So far 0 malfunctions even with HP, the only thing I don't like is that there are a few sharp edges but other than that a solid tool for the price.

Top Bottom