• ...and so much more!
  • Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Economists have long advocated for varied tolls, based on traffic or use patterns, to allocate a limited resource. It incentivizes those with low priority needs not to use the resources frivolously.

I thought INGO was all about users paying for the resources they used, at least that seemed the majority take when bicycles are on the road...
    The lanes that were used on the DC 495 Beltway have been there for 10 - 30 years.

model1994

quick draw mcgraw
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 17, 2022
    glacial boundary
    crazy.

a friend and I were so excited to make it to San Fran and cross the Golden Gate Bridge - kinda spoils the vibe when you see giant signs telling you of an electronic toll you now owe. We were roadtripping in a rental and wasn’t able to pay online (error with the site or something) so that toll ended up being charged from the rental company, by the time fees attached and all it was like $50. to cross a bridge into poo infested streets lol

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    This is not the market at work. This is a government. Let's not pretend they are anything alike.
    Markets are in place in all parts of life, including government. If a toll is in place wouldn't some users not use the road, or go when it is cheaper? That is an unseen hand of markets working.

Tgis may be a money grab or it legit could be a way to clear some congestion on the road…

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Markets are in place in all parts of life, including government. If a toll is in place wouldn't some users not use the road, or go when it is cheaper? That is an unseen hand of markets working.

Tgis may be a money grab or it legit could be a way to clear some congestion on the road…
    Markets???? Bull :poop: Its nothing more than a money grab and a way for those that have, to get home easier and faster.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Markets???? Bull :poop: Its nothing more than a money grab and a way for those that have, to get home easier and faster.
    Is there any evidence that this level of fees will reduce congestion?

I have a tendency to think it's 100% a money grab. For every person the fee deters, another will think there is less congestion and be more than willing to pay the fee. The tolls on 80/90, the Skyway, other Illinois tollways and Ohio Turnpike have never caused me to find a different route.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

I have a tendency to think it's 100% a money grab. For every person the fee deters, another will think there is less congestion and be more than willing to pay the fee. The tolls on 80/90, the Skyway, other Illinois tollways and Ohio Turnpike have never caused me to kind a different route.
    Have you ever read any research on this topic? I have and it is fascinating. I have not read deeply on the current situation so I have no idea if it is a money grab or an attempt to relieve congestion. Do any of those have tolls that vary? Very few seem to although I expect we will see more of them in the future.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Have you ever read any research on this topic? I have and it is fascinating. I have not read deeply on the current situation so I have no idea if it is a money grab or an attempt to relieve congestion. Do any of those have tolls that vary? Very few seem to although I expect we will see more of them in the future.
    I haven't. That's why I ask. The fees they are talking about don't seem high enough affect behavior significantly, but that's speculation on my part.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana

I have a tendency to think it's 100% a money grab. For every person the fee deters, another will think there is less congestion and be more than willing to pay the fee. The tolls on 80/90, the Skyway, other Illinois tollways and Ohio Turnpike have never caused me to find a different route.
    I'm a firm believer in its a grab myself. I'm old enough to remember things from the MD Statehouse like, the bridge toll will stop once its been paid for, the lottery is going towards nothing but education and so on.
    I'm worn out on paying for things and then pay a usage fee in order to use it.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I'm a firm believer in its a grab myself. I'm old enough to remember things from the MD Statehouse like, the bridge toll will stop once its been paid for, the lottery is going towards nothing but education and so on.
    I'm worn out on paying for things and then pay a usage fee in order to use it.
    Just like we're still paying for the HoosierDome long ago imploded.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Top Bottom