• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hammerd13

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 20, 2015
    Hamilton County
    I've used MemTest86 for years to test new RAM. I once had 3 sticks of new RAM (in a new PC build)...one was bad out of the box. Manufacturer warrantied it, no problem. I tested each stick individually, so this took a while.

Very frustrating, until I got it figured out as the failure would take many hours or days before recurring.

https://www.memtest86.com/

Lastly...I too suggest you not mix old/new RAM. Good luck with the new hardware!

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    I've used MemTest86 for years to test new RAM. I once had 3 sticks of new RAM (in a new PC build)...one was bad out of the box. Manufacturer warrantied it, no problem. I tested each stick individually, so this took a while.

Very frustrating, until I got it figured out as the failure would take many hours or days before recurring.

https://www.memtest86.com/

Lastly...I too suggest you not mix old/new RAM. Good luck with the new hardware!
    Old & New modules should function fine, IF both are the exact same specs.
    As long as both sodimms and physical slots are good. The laptop specs say everything with this upgrade should be a "go".
    Playing musical chairs with the sticks & slots along with running Memtest are about the only way to narrow down the issue.
    Musical chairs should be pretty simple, since there's only two sticks of memory and two slots.

Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 9, 2022
    Bloomington
    Maybe a timing or other mismatch between old and new RAM. That is why it is recommended to buy matching pairs of RAM from the same batch at the same time to use in the same DIMM bank.

RAM, especially newer fast DDR3/4 can be finicky. If you can avoid mixing old with new I would. Windows blue screens mean it doesn't like something about that combo of hardware.
    ^^^THIS

MidwesternStructures

Plinker
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 30, 2023
    Indiana
    16 gigs is plenty right now, especially for a laptop. If it was a gaming computer and you were trying to run modern AAA games, my answer might be different. I still have 16 GB of DDR4 RAM in my gaming computer and never have issues.

Most games these days for PC focus on running on as many computers as possible. Games like Call of Duty could look so much better, but then they would lose a huge chunk of their player base (kids who don’t have money to burn).

I would recommend following some YouTube videos on Windows 10/11 (whatever you’re on) optimization though. Make sure not to have 87 programs starting at boot.

- Brody

blain

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 27, 2016
    Evansville
    Yes they should. But many years experience building/maintaining servers has taught me different in practice.

It’s one of the reasons “registered” memory is used in servers for increased stability.
    Is there or was there, a specific niche where non-registered ECC fit in?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Maybe a timing or other mismatch between old and new RAM. That is why it is recommended to buy matching pairs of RAM from the same batch at the same time to use in the same DIMM bank.

RAM, especially newer fast DDR3/4 can be finicky. If you can avoid mixing old with new I would. Windows blue screens mean it doesn't like something about that combo of hardware.

It's not blue screening, it's going black with a few stuttery lines. It only crashed during Civ 6, but I haven't done anything else with it other than web browse a bit.

Hoosierdood

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Nov 2, 2010
    North of you
    It's not blue screening, it's going black with a few stuttery lines. It only crashed during Civ 6, but I haven't done anything else with it other than web browse a bit.
    Have you been keeping up to date with your Nvidia graphics driver updates? I get an update about once a month and install it right away.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Have you been keeping up to date with your Nvidia graphics driver updates? I get an update about once a month and install it right away.

I'm doing that now. And I'm going to remove the "Nvidia experience". It's supposed to update automatically but it's failing the last update.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I never allow automatic updates to anything as long as the system and software are stable. Unless you’re having a specific problem, I never recommend allowing an update of any driver, because the next one may not be stable.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Old stick is back in. I ran the benchmark thing twice with no issue, but it didn't have an issue before. I'm thinking it's something to do with the larger RAM and the "Nvidia Experience" overlay, but we'll see. I removed that program and am just using the basic Nvidia Control Panel now.

I don't think it's the graphics card itself, given I've got the computer set to use it preferentially over the integrated graphics.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Old stick is back in. I ran the benchmark thing twice with no issue, but it didn't have an issue before. I'm thinking it's something to do with the larger RAM and the "Nvidia Experience" overlay, but we'll see. I removed that program and am just using the basic Nvidia Control Panel now.

I don't think it's the graphics card itself, given I've got the computer set to use it preferentially over the integrated graphics.

Seems like ditching the Nvidia overlay and updating the driver fixed it. I left Civ running with the mouse at the edge of the screen so it continuously scrolled over the map for several hours with no crash or issues.

ZurokSlayer7X9

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 12, 2023
    NWI
    Whenever I build computers, I usually say it's 25% research of correct and compatible parts and 75% luck and magic if things will work.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    Basic rule for buying or upgrading my computer: Walk into A+ Computers and ask a single question, "Will my current build handle with ease the newest edition of Fallout?"

If the answer is NO, then have them upgrade it or replace with something that can.

If the answer is YES, then get a good bottle of bourbon and a fine cigar to celebrate the savings.

I have some simple tastes.

Good luck with your new iteration.

Regards,

Doug

Top Bottom