• ...and so much more!
  • cbseniour

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 8, 2011
    South East Marion County
    COMPROMISE
    After then President George H. W. Bush famously stated “ No new taxes” he was persuaded to enter a compromise with Democrats in congress He would agree to an increase in tax if they would agree to spending cuts to help balance the already lopsided budget.
    The taxes were increased, the spending cuts never got a hearing in congress and the Democrats used the fact that GHWB had lied when he said he would not raise taxes against him.
    This is the state of compromise in our government today. Joe Donnelly is already saying that Richard Murdock’s biggest fault is his rejection of compromise.. Tell me then and what compromises has Joe Donnelly agreed to and lived up to?
    President Obama was going to lead a government based on cooperation and compromise yet he did not speak to Republican leadership for the entire 2 years during which he had control of both houses of congress. Even after the Republican Party gained control of the house it took brinksmanship on the part of John Boehner to bring him to the table. His whole tone has been “my way or the highway”.
    In short compromise is a wonderful way of dealing with differences but like dancing it takes two, in our political world it seems that only Republicans or conservatives are expected to compromise. Its not about who will compromise it’s about who can blame the other party effectively for not being willing to compromise and the definition of compromise has changed to give up your principles and do what I demand.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2010
    Martin County
    All Mourdock has to say when questioned about his reluctance to compromise is, "Our unsustainable debt is a product of political compromise. Didn't work out too well, did it?"

Another rejoinder is "Congress is the arena of ideas. The arena is where competitors compete. No one expects competitors to play for a tie."

goinggreyfast

Master
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 21, 2010
    Morgan County
    Right Wing Extremist

jfk.jpg

"A tax cut means higher family income and higher business profits and a balanced federal budget. As the national income grows, the federal government will ultimately end up with more revenues. Prosperity is the real way to balance our budget. By lowering tax rates, by increasing jobs and income, we can expand tax revenues and finally bring our budget into balance."

John F Kennedy Sep 18th, 1963

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    I don't think Mourdock will have much trouble countering this attack; people are tired of the same old thing. Dick Lugar was a "compromiser" and look what's happened to him. Besides, all he needs to do is play video of the Dem leadership in 2009 being so willing to compromise.

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    The Founders designed a government that only works with compromise. Without compromise, we'd still be a British colony. Had they wanted an all or nothing government, George Washington would have been made king. Power is very divided in Washington, therefore the almost 600 people who hold the reigns of power have to be in lockstep or willing compromise. Diversity is our strength, yet we too often want to fight it.

rbsangler

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Lizton
    The Founders designed a government that only works with compromise. Without compromise, we'd still be a British colony. Had they wanted an all or nothing government, George Washington would have been made king. Power is very divided in Washington, therefore the almost 600 people who hold the reigns of power have to be in lockstep or willing compromise. Diversity is our strength, yet we too often want to fight it.
    Is there an achievable compromise between good and evil? What does Good have to give up in order to compromise with evil? If good compromises itself, it then instantly becomes evil.

TheRude1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 15, 2012
    INDY
    Is compromise needed in goverment ? Yes sometimes it is

But sometimes people have to be told they have bad ideas and the answer is NO. I think Mourdock is the person to do that and that is needed now . Spending for PC reasons are not good reasons

I look forward to seeing him on CSPAN telling some Dem they are an idiot

Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Apr 14, 2011
    Reality
    Compromise. (n)

1). When Republicans cede to Democcrats wishes and do what they want
    2). When Republicans' votes no longer matter (Obamacare, Dream Act, et al)

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

You are comparing apples and oranges. Compromise will work when the disagreement is over how to achieve that which is best for the nation. When the compromise regards attacking our liberty and benefiting the few who stand to gain by attacking our liberty, as has been the case for a century, compromise stands as one of the filthiest words in the English language.

Lock load

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    Mishawaka IN
    I believe in some compromise when both parties agree on the end goal.
    But when the end goals are different. There is no compromise.

I tend to use extremes to make my point.
    You have 2 daughters. BG wants to rape them both. You say no.
    Compromise might be letting him only have 1 of them.
    My only compromise might be whether I torture him or not before emptying my Sig into him.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012

I tend to use extremes to make my point.
    You have 2 daughters. BG wants to rape them both. You say no.
    Compromise might be letting him only have 1 of them.
    My only compromise might be whether I torture him or not before emptying my Sig into him.

:+1: The only problem here is that I just got the scold for giving out too much rep!

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Is there an achievable compromise between good and evil? What does Good have to give up in order to compromise with evil? If good compromises itself, it then instantly becomes evil.
    I'm not talking about compromising between right and wrong or good and evil. (Evil is often in the eyes of the beholder though.)

You are comparing apples and oranges. Compromise will work when the disagreement is over how to achieve that which is best for the nation. When the compromise regards attacking our liberty and benefiting the few who stand to gain by attacking our liberty, as has been the case for a century, compromise stands as one of the filthiest words in the English language.
    Nope, all apples and some of them are over ripe.
    Without compromise the Founders were in an impasse over "evil" slavery.

:yesway:

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Ronald Reagan's belief was that one compromises to move toward one's goals which are inline with one's principles, but one never compromises one's principles. Republicans have all too often forgotten this; Democrats haven't, which is why we're in the shape we're in these days.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I'm not talking about compromising between right and wrong or good and evil. (Evil is often in the eyes of the beholder though.)

Nope, all apples and some of them are over ripe.
    Without compromise the Founders were in an impasse over "evil" slavery.

:yesway:

You mean to tell me that you cannot see any difference between elected officials acting for the good of the country and acting for their personal agendas, country be damned?

Pocketman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    You mean to tell me that you cannot see any difference between elected officials acting for the good of the country and acting for their personal agendas, country be damned?

:dunno: You got that out of my post?
    Divided by a common language.

mydoghasfleas

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Undisclosed
    We just finnished not compromising with england (even though some wanted to). Our government was not made to compromise. It was made with "checks and balances" to try to prevent compromising liberty. And to keep it limited in its power, not compromising its growth from none to slow, slow to fast, and fast to out of control.

Top Bottom