• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I had the tremendous fortune to attend the Combat Focus Shooting Instructor Development Course at the Blackwing Shooting Center in Delaware Ohio. I decided I wanted to take this course almost 4 years ago. Since then I've been trying to prepare for the course. It would seem like that would have made it a cake walk, but even with that preparation this was a difficult task. The expectation is that a successful participant can not only conduct CFS courses, but also be able to answer questions about the material with the background information behind it. The days were long, we got out before 7pm once. Starting on tuesday I fell into a routine. Up at 6am study until class at 9am, out of class at 7pm eat and sleep for an hour and then study till midnight. Repeat. Unfortunately one student chose not to continue after the first day (the course load was that intimidating). Beyond the CFS program other topics included large blocks on learning theory, neuroscience, and business building. I have never enjoyed studying this much in my life.

The man tasked with conveying all this content was Omari Broussard. Omari seems to have been born to teach. To say I was impressed would be completely inadequate. Rob Pincus made a cameo appearance before heading to the NRA convention to scare the crap out of anti gunners everywhere.

Passing the class is only one step in the process to become an active CFS instructor. Next up, team teaching. I can't wait.

ChrisBenavidez

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 9, 2012
    Northwest Indiana
    David, I thought that was you lurking on INGO. Congratulations on passing the tests. THe subjective seems to be the one that stage frights folks. You impressed me all week so I knew you had it on lock. See you soon.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Thanks Chris. It would have been nice to have been able to socialize a little bit more. I'm sure there will be more chances in the future.

cedartop

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 25, 2010
    North of Notre Dame.
    Hmmm, you mean Rob doesn't' just call you an instructor and send you out to make millions? From another thread here I was pretty sure that was how it worked.

Good job David.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Congrats David. It sounds like a challenging course but I'm sure you were up to the task.

Keep us posted on how this progresses for you.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Update: I'm back at Black Wing Shooting Center for a refresher week of instructor development. Still working on achieving "active status" in the Combat Focus Shooting program. It's been a great week, and I know I'm becoming a better instructor because of this process.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    JT,
    Yes, he told me you were in the class he took from James Ashby. Chris worked hard, and did well. Hopefully he will post a few words about what he thought of the week.

Mudcat

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Warrick county
    You coming down for the Combat Focus Carbine and Advanced Pistol Handling with Rob?
    Good luck in your endeavors. Ive watched the IDC updates and it is very interesting, some of the best training for the trainers.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    ViperJock,
    Yes, I'm an instructor, and I live in Fort Wayne. I taught as a contract instructor for a local gun shop, now I'm pursuing becoming an "active status" Combat Focus Shooting instructor through Rob Pincus, and I.C.E. Training. About a year ago I passed the tests to get certified to teach CFS. Active Status is kind of the next step on that path. My focus is defensive handgun training.

Greg,
    I look forward to seeing you guys again.

Coach,
    I appreciate your endorsement!

Everyone else,
    Team teaching with Coach was probably the first time I saw the difference between an instructor that "knows stuff", and an instructor who knows how to teach. Aron knows how to teach and as slow and painful as the process might be, I aspire to be a teacher too.

David Rose

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Sep 11, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    theblackknight,
    There is no shooting "test". Students in the class shoot to facilitate other students teaching practice, and if issues come up they are corrected. There is a written test (90% score required to pass) and a teaching test. Beyond that there is a team teaching requirement.

CFS is not a demonstration based curriculum. There is not a lot of time spent with students watching the instructor do the skills involved in the class. There is a lot of time spent helping students learn how to perform the skills, and answering "why".

It would be easy for me as the instructor to say watch me, shoot a drill or perform a technique, and the say do it like that. It is much harder to walk the student through doing the technique correctly, and being able to answer why the technique is valid or useful. For instance it is much easier to show someone a proper grip on a pistol than to talk through every aspect of forming the grip while your hands are at your side. Another example is teaching the reload, just doing it and saying look how fast I can do a reload, do it like that would be much easier than being required to demonstrate the reload in slow motion, while explaining every step in detail as it happens, while keeping eye contact with a group of students. Both of these examples come directly from the class.

It's about making good instructors, good teachers, not just saying hey look at me, do it like I do it because I said so.

instructors,
    Try the above exercises. Even if it has no effect on your teaching style, it will help you to become better able to help your students.

Top Bottom