• Status
    Not open for further replies.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I got it from Twitter, I thought from Jordan Rooney. But looking at Rooney’s twitter, I don’t see it now. I’m not seeing it via search now either. So disregard.
    To me the total lack of information is unusual. The pronouncements are vague. This kid is in a pretty dire situation from my reading of the tea leaves. That a $200 billion dollar industry is just shut down, with even individual divisions (teams) not related to the situation shutting down normal events (press conferences and meetings) indicates this to be a BFD…

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    If I were a member of that family, I would ask people to stop speculating, stop fussing about it and just hold tight. I don’t think anything is untoward about anything I’ve see so far. The agent has been as forthcoming as he could.

I think we’re so used to having information obfuscated by TPTB the whole covid response that the same pattern recognition inaccurately pegs this story as overly problematic. I think people just need to calm down and let the facts come out when they come out.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Mike Florio lays out the options he sees for the NFL going forward based on past history…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Mike Florio lays out the options he sees for the NFL going forward based on past history…

I don't mean to be flippant about what happened, but basically this was a serious injury. If a player gets injured, even a season or career ending injury, the game continues. I'm just wondering why this is different?

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't mean to be flippant about what happened, but basically this was a serious injury. If a player gets injured, even a season or career ending injury, the game continues. I'm just wondering why this is different?
    It's very rare to have a person's heart stop on the field. I have never heard of CPR being performed on the field. Objectively, this is a much different situation from most injuries, even ones that look really bad.

Exactly 1 NFL player has died on the field (over 50 years ago) and that is nearly what happened here. He's still in critical condition, last time I checked.

In the instance 50+ years ago, it was not an impact, but a heart attack. The game was concluded, but there was only a minute left in the game.

Of course, it was a judgment call to suspend, then postpone the game, but I couldn't disagree with it. It would be pretty hard on the players to get the word of his death during the game and that was very possible.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    It's very rare to have a person's heart stop on the field. I have never heard of CPR being performed on the field. Objectively, this is a much different situation from most injuries, even ones that look really bad.

Exactly 1 NFL player has died on the field (over 50 years ago) and that is nearly what happened here. He's still in critical condition, last time I checked.

In the instance 50+ years ago, it was not an impact, but a heart attack. The game was concluded, but there was only a minute left in the game.

Of course, it was a judgment call to suspend, then postpone the game, but I couldn't disagree with it. It would be pretty hard on the players to get the word of his death during the game and that was very possible.
    I guess that makes sense - the uncertainty of the outcome. If a guy breaks his leg, you know he broke his leg and it's unlikely to get worse.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I guess that makes sense - the uncertainty of the outcome. If a guy breaks his leg, you know he broke his leg and it's unlikely to get worse.
    I know that there have been some guys paralyzed, but usually that takes hours before that is known for sure. I'm no expert, but I'm thinking that the possibility of very bad news during the game was out there.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    We're on the same page on this. It's a sport of physical contact and injuries happen regularly and the players, coaches etc all know the risks.
    I can understand the decision last night to suspend play for the night. But they knew in the early morning hours that his vitals were back up to normal and he is to undergo testing etc etc.
    Not to be heartless, but IMHO the game should have been handled like a race that was suspended due to rain. It should have picked up today where they left off. Lots of people paid good money, took of work etc to see the game. I get putting things in perspective of importance in an unusual situation as they did. Shutting down everything just doesn't make sense to me. Now, had the worst case scenario played out I could understand making some different plans and maybe shutting things down for a few days would be appropriate.
    Frankly, IMHO the NFL should have some sort of plan for such a thing. Granted it's a highly unusual situation but we've all seen stories of athletes dropping on the field in the last couple years (not meant to speculate vax status etc).

The response just doesn't seem proportional to the situation to me.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis

Yes something similar had only happened one other time in the NFL. How have other sports responded to similar situations? Does soccer shut things down completely? Racers have been injured and killed with relatively limited down time.
    I 100% agree the decision last night was the right one. But I don't see justification for not moving forward today.

dnurk

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Jun 20, 2012
    Boone County
    Yes something similar had only happened one other time in the NFL. How have other sports responded to similar situations? Does soccer shut things down completely? Racers have been injured and killed with relatively limited down time.
    I 100% agree the decision last night was the right one. But I don't see justification for not moving forward today.
    Very similar thing happened in the Euro Championship last year. Star player went into cardiac arrest and one of his teammates actually started cpr before medics came out. They ended up playing the game but a key difference was he was known to be stable before they resumed. For this Bills player it is still being reported as of this afternoon his condition is critical. https://www.cnn.com/2021/06/13/football/christian-eriksen-stable-spt-intl/index.html

jkfletcher

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jul 12, 2011
    A geographical oddity

Jay Bouwmeester had to get defibbed after passing out on the bench during a St. louis Blues game a few years ago. They postponed the game, and made it up later. He ended up with a pacemaker and ended his career, but thankfully not his life.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I don't know why anyone would have a firm opinion one way or the other about postponing the game.

Judgment call. I get why they did it. I have no reason to disagree.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    To borrow the racing analogy, they would have cleared the track, lined up and dropped the flag. I really don't see this being any different.
    Pretty much
    I've seen guys air lifted in critical condition and once clean up was done the event resumed.

A few years ago when Hinchcliff nearly bled out following a crash in practice here at Indy, by the next day cars were back on track.
    Sucks when something bad happens in sports but you have to get back to it

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    I don't know why anyone would have a firm opinion one way or the other about postponing the game.

Judgment call. I get why they did it. I have no reason to disagree.

Like I said they were right to postpone the game last night.
    I don't understand why anyone wouldn't have a firm opinion on resuming the game the next day or other teams halting activities. It's a job and people have to go to work when people they know are in the midst of a critical situation all the time.
    Many of has have had to do it numerous times

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    To borrow the racing analogy, they would have cleared the track, lined up and dropped the flag. I really don't see this being any different.
    Pretty much
    I've seen guys air lifted in critical condition and once clean up was done the event resumed.

A few years ago when Hinchcliff nearly bled out following a crash in practice here at Indy, by the next day cars were back on track.
    Sucks when something bad happens in sports but you have to get back to it
    You guys are missing a huge point with a bad analogy. If Earnhardt died in the first 25 laps, his crew chief is supposed to pull out a new car, replacement driver and the whole pit crew is supposed to carry on as if nothing happened? A football team is a big family, it’s players brothers, just don’t see the comparisons.

Then we have to look at what is best for the sport. 45% of fans are female and just recently Sunday Night Football ranked #1 among women 18-49 for the first time last season and Fox has reported its female viewing audience has hit record highs. The sport is already fighting moms that think football is dangerous and will not let precious play.

These things have to be handled delicately precisely because the fans are delicate.

How do we know they did not have a plan? Though these things usually have to be dealt with individually as a one size will not fit all.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    You guys are missing a huge point with a bad analogy. If Earnhardt died in the first 25 laps, his crew chief is supposed to pull out a new car, replacement driver and the whole pit crew is supposed to carry on as if nothing happened? A football team is a big family, it’s players brothers, just don’t see the comparisons.

Then we have to look at what is best for the sport. 45% of fans are female and just recently Sunday Night Football ranked #1 among women 18-49 for the first time last season and Fox has reported its female viewing audience has hit record highs. The sport is already fighting moms that think football is dangerous and will not let precious play.

These things have to be handled delicately precisely because the fans are delicate.

How do we know they did not have a plan? Though these things usually have to be dealt with individually as a one size will not fit all.
    Ok to start with the whole racing community especially within any sanctioning body is a very big family. We work together, our live intertwine, we break bread together. By comparison no different than any other sporting organization. I have seen multiple drivers killed in crashes, and yes everyone else not directly involved with that team has finished the event and worked through it.
    I have seen drivers flown from the track following a crash in critical condition while their team had to stay there and help pick up the pieces.
    In this case, again I fully agree the NFL made the right call last night with postponing the game. However upon learning he is still alive, that changes things.

Parents are afraid to let precious play almost any sport anymore, not just football. For many reasons (not just fear of injury).
    You're right, the fans are delicate. IMHO what would be best for the sport is to acknowledge that this was a very rare and highly unusual situation. Explain that what very well may, may have happened was the result of impact trauma to the chest which can cause cardiac arrest (by the way, I actually lost a friend to such a chest impact about 18 years ago). Praise the sports medicine/physicians/EMT's for their life saving response and praise how well both teams worked together in the effort that has so far been life saving.
    As for my opinion the NFL didn't have a real plan for anything like this.. Medically, I think they did and it worked about as well as it possible could. Especially considering in the NFL, there is good cause to have concern with possible head or neck injury. So in the situation last night, while working to save his life they had to overcome the added obstacle of carefully moving his body to remove his helmet and shoulder pads. So again the medical plans worked.
    But to have no plan for when/if the game will be completed, because they've never seen anything like this from my perspective is an indicator there really isn't a contingency plan. I could be wrong but not seeing anything to indicate differently.

Off topic a bit. My friend I mentioned was playing slow pitch softball. He was pitching and the batter hit the ball right back to him. The ball hit him directly in the chest which caused cardiac arrest. Unfortunately, he didn't make it. Again such an impact isn't super common but it is common enough that many youth leagues now require pitchers the wear a heart guard (a padded plate much like a trauma plate in a body armor carrier) just in case.

Sports in general are inherently dangerous

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom