Not open for further replies.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Something that's always bugged me... When players get to the NFL level, why do they even need that much coaching? I never played anything but sandlot football, but we didn't have coaches. We put together our own plays that either worked or they didn't, but we learned from them. How do all these elite athletes get there without some kind of game playing knowledge?

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    How is that not players? At least when it comes to the Colts vs. Jags...
    When Brady left the Pats many questioned just how good a QB was he, and how good a coach was BB. Well Brady answered with flying colors by leading TB to a SB. The jury is still out on BB but it is not looking as good. We can now make those judgments on more opportunities.

Same with Colts, the fact that 2 different Jags QB’s have done it and 3 Colts QB’s have all failed miserably leads me back to the constant, the coaches not getting the team ready…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Something that's always bugged me... When players get to the NFL level, why do they even need that much coaching? I never played anything but sandlot football, but we didn't have coaches. We put together our own plays that either worked or they didn't, but we learned from them. How do all these elite athletes get there without some kind of game playing knowledge?
    Ironically the elite athletes need it more. Many have gotten to the NFL on freaky athletic ability. They were almost always bigger, stronger, faster, than the opposition but now face other freaks on a weekly basis.

Last night in the GB win the announcers were discussing the Bears teaching Fields new footwork to get the ball out quicker. Similar happens at all positions. Those pro golfers may once had a natural swing but all of them constantly work at adjustments to be better.

Then there is the mental aspect of coaching a team. Read up on Peter Kings story of the Dolphins comeback, great coaching…

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When Brady left the Pats many questioned just how good a QB was he, and how good a coach was BB. Well Brady answered with flying colors by leading TB to a SB. The jury is still out on BB but it is not looking as good. We can now make those judgments on more opportunities.

Same with Colts, the fact that 2 different Jags QB’s have done it and 3 Colts QB’s have all failed miserably leads me back to the constant, the coaches not getting the team ready…
    I kind of agree, but the QB is not the entire team. Plenty of blame to spread around on the team and the coaching. Manning was Indy's Tom Brady, and to some degree Luck took on that mantle too, but they needed their support staff so to speak.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Ironically the elite athletes need it more. Many have gotten to the NFL on freaky athletic ability. They were almost always bigger, stronger, faster, than the opposition but now face other freaks on a weekly basis.

Last night in the GB win the announcers were discussing the Bears teaching Fields new footwork to get the ball out quicker. Similar happens at all positions. Those pro golfers may once had a natural swing but all of them constantly work at adjustments to be better.

Then there is the mental aspect of coaching a team. Read up on Peter Kings story of the Dolphins comeback, great coaching…
    Makes sense I guess. Hadn't thought of it like this before. :thumbsup:

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I kind of agree, but the QB is not the entire team. Plenty of blame to spread around on the team and the coaching. Manning was Indy's Tom Brady, and to some degree Luck took on that mantle too, but they needed their support staff so to speak.
    Agree the QB is not the entire team, but QB rating can be a proxy for how well the team is playing and how well prepared they are, because the offense must play well, or a defense really bad for a high QB rating.

If a QB usually has a higher rating, as CP posted regularly, then sucks against one team, I just can’t blame the QB that much when it is over the span of three QB’s, when the constant is the head coach.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    Crazy thought, Is there any chance that Josh McDaniels talked to Andrew Luck and got bad vibes about him quitting? At the time of the coaching deal with JM Luck had an injured shoulder and it was unknown if he needed more surgery.

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    I’ll tell you what though, I’m really gonna enjoy watching the Bills dominate the Titans tonight.

That’s the one thing the Colts have going for us. The AFC south still sucks. :lmfao:

8-8-1 just might get us a home playoff game boys!
    WOW!!! 41-7 beginning of the fourth…

Look on the bright side for TN, they at least forced 2 punts, the Bills have gone 3 out of 4 games without a single punt…

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central
    So after all the talk of the power of the AFC, that power has resulted in a lot of losses. The Bills, Chiefs, and Dolphins are undefeated at two games the other 13 teams are 500 or below…

rob63

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    May 9, 2013
    I just want to say I really don't care about pumpkin spice anymore.

Oh snap, wrong thread.

-----

In addition to the other issues with the coaching previously mentioned. I also find it bothersome that Brisset and Wentz both seemed to regress as the season progressed. In other words, the longer Reich coached them, the worse they seemed to get.

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom