• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City
    I found this very interesting and thought I would post it for all you fells out there that continually bad mouth Olympic Arms. :D

I was working in my barn a little today and came across a pile of my old Gun Test Magazines. One in particular was the 1993 buyers guide and on the front was Olympic Arms vs. Colt AR-15's.

The test rifles were a Colt Target model with a 20" barrel and an Olympic Arms CAR-15 with an 11.5" barrel.

To make a long story short the only place where advantage went to Colt was on the Stock to cheek weld (Oly was a collapsible stock and this was made clear when the advantage was given.) And in long range accuracy. ( Also was made clear that the Oly was a short version made for up close work 11.5" barrel.) In the bottom line both rifles were recommended however the Olympic Arms won more points and prevailed overall...

Now I don't know how many of you guys are familiar with Gun Tests, but I have always taken their reviews as the gospel as they take no advertising dollars and are totally unbiased in their testing.

Before I bought my first AR I did my own research, and came to the same conclusion and bought an Oly. One big difference between mine and this test rifle is mine is made for accuracy and is an absolute tack driver... Blessings to all...:D

IndyGunworks

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 22, 2009
    Carthage IN
    my oly is a tack driver too..... just had some bad quality control before it left the factory... pretty dissapointed in everything except the barrel... that said i would buy another one, i am just a little bit wiser as to what to keep an eye out for.

Bigum1969

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    SW Indiana
    I don't own an Olympic Arms AR, but reading Melensdad posts on INGO has made me a believer. He owns many ARs and speaks very highly of Olympic Arms.

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    OLY get a bad reputation for 2 things.

#1, back in the old days (1990's for sure) they made some "cast" lower receivers. These receivers were not as good as "forged" receivers and they cost the company dearly in terms of bad publicity. In many cases they deserved the bad rap. HOWEVER many idiots on the internet are still spreading all sorts of false rumors about OLY still making 'cast' receivers. That is untrue.

#2, currently Olympic Arms "M4" clone does not match up well on the often misused 'chart' that is posted all over the internet. There are a couple reasons for this, primarily because most people don't know how to use the chart, but secondly because Oly intentionally builds a "commercial version" or "civilian version" of the M4 and not a true M4 clone. So for people who want as close to the real thing as possible then skip OLY's M4 variant. They made a decision to build it the way they do, some people think its smart, others think its a dumb move.

I learned a few things with AR15s.

First, most manufacturers don't make their own parts.
    Second, most manufacturers don't even 'finish' their own parts.
    Third, most manufacturers simply assemble parts they buy in bulk from others.
    Fourth, most manufacturers simply have an outside finish company engrave their name in parts.

So all that said, most companies do NOT stand behind their products. Oly is one of the very few companies that forges their own parts, finished their own parts, and stands behind their guns. I'm NOT saying they are the best. I'm just of the opinion they make a decent gun at a good price.

Chefcook

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Raccoon City

#1, back in the old days (1990's for sure) they made some "cast" lower receivers. These receivers were not as good as "forged" receivers and they cost the company dearly in terms of bad publicity. In many cases they deserved the bad rap. HOWEVER many idiots on the internet are still spreading all sorts of false rumors about OLY still making 'cast' receivers. That is untrue.

#2, currently Olympic Arms "M4" clone does not match up well on the often misused 'chart' that is posted all over the internet. There are a couple reasons for this, primarily because most people don't know how to use the chart, but secondly because Oly intentionally builds a "commercial version" or "civilian version" of the M4 and not a true M4 clone. So for people who want as close to the real thing as possible then skip OLY's M4 variant. They made a decision to build it the way they do, some people think its smart, others think its a dumb move.

Fourth, most manufacturers simply have an outside finish company engrave their name in parts.

So all that said, most companies do NOT stand behind their products. Oly is one of the very few companies that forges their own parts, finished their own parts, and stands behind their guns. I'm NOT saying they are the best. I'm just of the opinion they make a decent gun at a good price.

And this is what I learned in doing my own research over a period of several months before I made my initial purchase...

antsi

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 6, 2008
    Melensdad, I agree with your analysis.

When I was looking for a service rifle for High Power competition, Olympic looked like the best buy on the market. Basically I was getting a heavy stainless match grade barrel, NM sights, and a two stage competition trigger for only about $150 more than other manufacturers rifles with none of those features. I've been very happy with that rifle.

I do think that Olympic has made some marketing mis-steps by branding some low-end products with the same name as their good stuff. There is nothing inherently wrong with trying to deliver an economy priced product to the market. But when you do that, you "cheapen" your brand name and you lose respect for your high end products.

jason conley

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 11, 2009
    WEST SIDE OF INDY
    I had an olympic for one day it failed to feed and I took it back . My cousin has one he got it cheap but it has problems too. I have had three Colts all have worked well.

SMC

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2011
    Cleveland, Ohio
    I'm in the market for my first AR and the only factory bell and whistle I like is a removable carrying handle, the Oly I want is $949 and the Colt SP6920 Sporter are the two contenders, the Colt is priced at $1,155.

Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    May 16, 2010
    Fort Wayne, IN
    You do realize 97% of all feeding problems with an AR are due to bad magazines not the rifle correct???
    I had an olympic less than a year ago. It struggled to feed and eject. Sent it back, still stunk. Wasnt a mag issue when you use several different ones.

Olympic has their rep for a reason. Mine was garbage. I'm sure others have had excellent luck with theirs, but comparing it to a colt is laughable.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN

I wonder if my 1978 Colt was made with all Colt parts?

As for the test, it doesn't sound like they did a penetration test...the longer barrel would of beat it no matter what brand. My friend has a pistol AR OLY an it works perfect....I don't know the barrel length but that thing has no penetration, it barely dents 3/8" steel...I was really surprized, I never would of thought that.

Steeler

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Clark county
    But, but, but, it doesn`t look good when you look at "the chart"!!
    And, and, and, and, if it`s not a Colt or or or a Spikes or a a a BCM then it must suck, ..........RIGHT???;)

Guess I shoulda made that purple.:):

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oly makes a decent gun for a fair price.
    The thing to remember is it is geared for the Civilian Shooter and is meant to be treated as such...

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven
    Oly makes a decent gun for a fair price.
    The thing to remember is it is geared for the Civilian Shooter and is meant to be treated as such...

Oly is like the Taurus of the AR world. Most people who have them have no issues. But enough people do to sully their reputation. And apparently their customer service also sucks. :laugh:

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    Oly is like the Taurus of the AR world. Most people who have them have no issues. But enough people do to sully their reputation. And apparently their customer service also sucks. :laugh:

Very well put!

I have owned a couple Oly's, and would again if the price was right. Some were great rifles, some made really expensive paperweights.
    That being said Oly would not be my first choice to wade into a life or death situation... :popcorn:

Last edited:
    Top Bottom