• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    I have been pondering this for a while now and have decided that I may be ready to sell this gun. The gun is from 1943 (Colt confirmed this via telephone call) and is one of the US Government Property guns made for the Army. I am not 100% certain the holster is for this gun, though when originally purchased that is what I was told. The Holster does have US embossed in the leather.

I have added Pachymar grips shown in the photo to it but I also have the original grips (shown in last photo). No other changes have been made to the gun by me.

I am not sure what to value this gun has as it is a part of our history! Any input from the forum would be most appreciated. Also, I hope this is in the correct place as I am asking for help in finding the value of the gun. Not yet sure I am going to sell it. Please move if this is the wrong place for it.

InHolster.jpg

OpenHolster.jpg

LH.jpg

LHSlide.jpg

RHslide.jpg

US.jpg

USProp.jpg

1911USArmy.jpg
    All.jpg

Last edited:

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area
    I have those same grips on one of my 1911's. Love them. That is a really wonderful piece. The value could be significant to the right buyer. I have seen these at a few shows and in friends safes. Most folks will not sell them. Why are you selling this one??? Just curious.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    Not yet sure that I am going to sell, but thinking of getting a Kimber Super Carry Ultra HD and could use the $. Also I would like to see it go to someone who collects guns...I am more of a shooter than a collector! :)

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    As I stated in original post, I don't really know the value of the gun. Based on offers I have received so far, low is $700 and high is $950 with more of the offers nearer the highest amount!

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    1k is crazy high. $700 would be more appropriate considering it has been refinished, and incorrectly so.

Getting one with original park in the 80-90% range should be in the 1k range I would think.

But, with the decrease in the number available it may increase just based on supply/demand.

Have you considered sending it out to someone to be properly refinished?

Double T

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   1
    Aug 5, 2011
    Huntington
    If you are going to keep it, I believe I read about turnbull. I don't know if cylinder and slide does.

The cost could be pretty high though. I don't know if they will just strip and park, or if they would do a full restoration (including rerolling the slide...one of the companies has all the old colt rolls)

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    As I stated in original post, I don't really know the value of the gun. Based on offers I have received so far, low is $700 and high is $950 with more of the offers nearer the highest amount!

Wow. Kind of like gunbroker huh?

The reblue does hurt the value. Not because I say so but because the market says so. I sold a 1911 (with ww1 holster) made in 1918 with very little finish on it for $900. If it would have been reblued I would have asked $700. $125 of the value is in the holster and I would keep that weapon if I were you. The only "history" in Kimber series 2 1911's is a history of problems. IMHO ofcourse.

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    OrigGripsClip.jpg

Here is a photo after putting original grips and clip back on the gun!! Took a lot of heat :) from earlier posters about the aftermarket ones.

I appreciate the input from all of you. I am meeting up with someone tonight to look at the gun and depending on that meeting, I may sell it or I may keep it. I realize others have sold theirs for more/less and that is why I started this thread, to see what the "Current" IN market would value this at. Based on the offers I received I think I know what that market is. I also realize that in 6 months the market could change again.

I am curious though about the comment about Kimber having a history of problems, seeing how I see tons more positive comments than negative....guess that is a topic for another thread though.

OD*

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2008
    Indiana
    Sadly, your pistol has been regulated to that of a “shooter grade.” As has been mentioned the pistol has been over buffed and blued, it should be Parkerized. The slide, slide stop, trigger and hammer have been replaced, the frame tangs have been cut, most likely to install a modern beavertail.

This is what an original 1943 USGI Colt would look like.
    http://coolgunsite.com/images/1911/1943Colt/1943Colt1911A1.htm

Is that an FJA inspectors stamp under the slide stop? The serial number falls in the Remington Rand frames (1279699-1441430), and not Colt's, it appears what you have is a parts gun.

1911/1911A1 Production Numbers
    http://coolgunsite.com/pistols/colt%20production.htm

Last edited:

rdg

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Jan 10, 2011
    Fishers
    I never said that the pistol was a "Collectors Item" simply that it was a part of history. The whole purpose of this thread was to help me determine the value of the gun and influence whether or not I want to sell it or keep it. All of the info, including the most recent, is appreciated and helps me determine that Value! Thanks!

Top Bottom