• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    I've seen guys do this at the range and decided to give it a try myself. When testing new loads, it is nice to be able to fire different loads on the same target and be able to differentiate the different groups on one piece of paper. I bought a set of (8) colored broad tip Sharpies and used them to mark each bullet in each load group. I colored the bullets from the case mouth to just past the ogive on the bullet.

sharpies.jpg

After you fire 2-3 different groups of bullets, you can actually see the colors from the bullets transferred to the edges of the bullet holes on the target. It is best to use plain white paper (the back side of most targets are plain white) and I used a small aiming dot for a reference point. I found that red, green and blue are the easiest colors to see on the paper. You can alternate loads and firing order and still make an easy identification of each group.

I was testing 168 grain Berger bullets today with Varget powder. The target below is a good example of the difference small changes in powder weights can change a group. The green bullet impacts are 45.7 grains of Varget. The Red impacts are 46.0 grains of Varget. The green group measures 3.175" at 500 yards and the red group measures 6.019" at 500 yards.

colortarget.jpg

After you pull the target, from the back side, flatten the ragged edges of the impact, and it becomes very obvious what color bullet was used.

I know this is an older method, but I haven't seen it discussed here before and though I'd pass this tip along.

Top Bottom