• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Northwestern Wildcats football players win bid to unionize - ESPN

The Chicago National Labor Board ruled that Northwestern football players are employees of the university because they are compensated with scholarships to play football. I understand that athletes in the moneymaking sports like football or basketball at some schools would like a bigger piece of the pie, but they're not seeing the value of a debt-free education from a school like Northwestern. I think a big can of worms just got opened. If a scholarship makes a student an employee, what about academic scholars? Do they get to unionize too? or athletes in sports programs which operate at a loss?

IrishSon of Liberty

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Best response I've heard thus far is to let them unionize. Then, issue each unionized athlete a 10-99 and tax them for money spent on uniforms, medical assistants, travel to games, hotel stays, etc. in addition to tuition, room & board, books, labs, and any other expenditure associated with a full scholarship student athlete. Once mommy & daddy start paying those taxes, on top of the union dues, maybe they'll realize it's not so important to be an "employee" after all.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Best response I've heard thus far is to let them unionize. Then, issue each unionized athlete a 10-99 and tax them for money spent on uniforms, medical assistants, travel to games, hotel stays, etc. in addition to tuition, room & board, books, labs, and any other expenditure associated with a full scholarship student athlete. Once mommy & daddy start paying those taxes, on top of the union dues, maybe they'll realize it's not so important to be an "employee" after all.

Yep. If they want to be treated like employees, treat them like employees.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Isn't ironic a school from Chicago is angling to unionize? You'd think michigan wolverines would be sporting UAW insignias pretty soon. :laugh:

Warrior

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Many arguments are offered that student athletes need monetary compensation. Free education for the most talented players (the ones who are generating the fan interest and revenue streams) is enough. My son was a college football player recently. The fact that student athletes have no cash for incidental expenses and their families didn't plan to support their children in college is not representative of every student as you would be led to believe. So the moral of the story, if a free quality education isn't enough then work for your spending money and pay for your education yourself. Unionized college students equals discontinuing all athletic programs.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    Northwestern. Lawyers school. Chicago. Geez and Rice! 'Nuff said.
    I say let 'em Union up. They should be paid as much as athletes from Alabama and Michigan. It's ONLY fair and politically fashionable in some areas. Not most though.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Yup, health care for injuries sustained while playing in college being covered after graduation will doom college sports as we know it.

Yeah, because this is ALL they're after.

I support them not incurring expenses for injuries they obtained while playing their respective sport. But that's just the entry level argument and doesn't even account for the rest of what they'll attempt to go after.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    Yeah, because this is ALL they're after.

I support them not incurring expenses for injuries they obtained while playing their respective sport. But that's just the entry level argument and doesn't even account for the rest of what they'll attempt to go after.

Its possible it's a slippery slope, but as of now the reality is that the 99% that dont go pro are on their own when they graduate for injuries sustained on the field of play.

The only reason this went through is because the PLAYERS said they are ALREADY getting paid in the form of scholarships. So to say they want to START getting paid would be wrong as the players acknowledge that they already are.

Top Bottom