• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I always enjoyed watching IU men's basketball when they were coached by the General. His teams were disciplined, organized, played generally with a purpose and intensity, and were, obviously, well coached.
    It broke my heart to see the state of Coach Knight when he finally returned to Assembly Hall, but I was glad he returned, and I pray he has been born again.

Heck of a thing he`s done here. Number four all-time on career coaching wins, and he graduated a HIGH number of his players, they played fairly, and still won, and won a LOT.

Well done Coach Knight. Well done.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Had he not been ambushed and set up at iU, he would have been number 1 or 2.
    Even though I found his antics tiresome (and have always been indifferent about sports) I considered it underhanded and vindictive when he was fired for violating a zero tolerance policy that never specified what wasn't being tolerated.

gregr

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 1, 2016
    West-Central
    I thought he was number one when he retired?
    I believe you may be right. But whether that was correct or not, Coach Knight ran a clean program in a big business that was high-stress and against a lot of programs that were NOT run cleanly. He additionally graduated the vast majority of his players, and with just a few exceptions, had a hardcore loyalty from most of the men who played for him. He was controversial to be sure, and he was "bigger than life", and he made an incredible impact on the college game of basketball. A brilliant basketball mind, a tremendous wit, and even a bit of a showman, Coach Knight is one for the ages.

nipprdog

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Tippecanoe county
    Does anyone remember the game at assembly hall when some stupid fans threw some stuff on the court protesting some poor officiating. Coach Knight went and grabbed the mic and hollered "I don't care how bad the officiating is, we don't throw stuff in this arena!" Crowd went wild.

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    Does anyone remember the game at assembly hall when some stupid fans threw some stuff on the court protesting some poor officiating. Coach Knight went and grabbed the mic and hollered "I don't care how bad the officiating is, we don't throw stuff in this arena!" Crowd went wild.
    Except chairs, apparently…

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    I was watching that game on television. The officiating was so awful, it should have been Phil Bova he picked up and tossed across the gym floor. :D
    I watched all the games that were shown on tv back then. Yes, officiating sucked the big one in several of their games around that time.

Alamo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Texas
    My 2° of separation from Coach Knight:

My father used to draw cartoons for the Brown County Democrat newspaper in Nashville Indiana. Patience0830 may remember this.

Coach Knight coached the 1984 US Olympic Basketball Team. The Soviets pulled out of the 1984 Olympics. There were some jokes about Knight scaring the Russians. I still have my “Even the Russians are afraid of Bobby Knight” T-shirt.

Dad drew a cartoon showing US and Soviet nuclear arms treaty negotiators at a table. It’s been decades since I’ve seen the cartoon, so I don’t remember the wording exactly, but the Soviets are saying something like “We’ll give up this missile and this bomber and something else but you have to give up that missile and that bomber and Bobby Knight.”

Some time after the cartoon was published, one of Dad’s acquaintances who had an in with the IU basketball program visited Bobby Knight’s office. He came back and told Dad that thecartoon was on the wall.

Top Bottom