• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 8, 2008
    Indianapolis
    I took the recommendations on this thread and picked up some snap caps at PopGuns the other day when I went to the range. I can really see how they will help.

On a sidenote, I do notice they are getting a little scarred/worn. Should I sand the tiny burs off or leave them alone? Afraid if I sand them, it will make the round to small to extract, but afraid if I don't it may damage my gun.

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    I have read that the extended practice of letting the slide drop on a chambered round will do damage to a 1911 with internal extractor. The article I read stated that the extractor was not designed to snap over the cartridge rim and that regularly doing this can bend or break it.

Granted that with an actual double feed this must be done, does extensive practice of the clearing drill do damage?

SirRealism

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    I took the recommendations on this thread and picked up some snap caps at PopGuns the other day when I went to the range. I can really see how they will help.

On a sidenote, I do notice they are getting a little scarred/worn. Should I sand the tiny burs off or leave them alone? Afraid if I sand them, it will make the round to small to extract, but afraid if I don't it may damage my gun.

A couple times when practicing with snap caps, I noticed that my other live mags were sitting nearby. This probably goes without saying, but that's a bad idea. :D I now put them in a different room.

bigcraig

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indy
    Finally, I'll add that I find it ironic and humorous that someone is telling me that I need to go to a back-up gun or that I should advocate doing so. Anyone who knows me might also find the humor in that.

I just found this thread, and yep, I am :laugh:.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    I have read that the extended practice of letting the slide drop on a chambered round will do damage to a 1911 with internal extractor. The article I read stated that the extractor was not designed to snap over the cartridge rim and that regularly doing this can bend or break it.

Granted that with an actual double feed this must be done, does extensive practice of the clearing drill do damage?

This is right on. 1911's are designed to be fed from a magazine. DONT ever drop the slide on a loaded chamber.

Mike Elzinga

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 22, 2008
    NWI
    Thank you! I forgot til you mentioned it. I've replaced extractors myself after having done this and a lot of people dont think about it. Keep in mind also that putting in a new extractor requires fitting, it aint a simple in and out thing.

Top Bottom