• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • sharpetop

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    A clean gun is a happy gun! :D I clean them every time they are fired, whether I shoot one round or 100 rounds. I also clean and re-lube my carry gun every couple weeks or so, even though it hasn't been fired. Lots of lint and crud gather from every day carry, especially IWB or pocket carry.

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    I clean my semi auto's every time I shoot. My revolvers about twice a year. My bolt action rifles maybe once a lifetime.
    Except ruger 10/22. I feel that if you clean the barrel, it will take 100 rounds to become accurate again.

RandyMarlar

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    Zionsville
    I like to keep a clean weapon. What I am curious about is what people prefer for lubricants. When I lived down south I liked to hunt when it was misting or drizzling. I found regular gun oil would allow water to start little rust spots after an all day event. I started using WD-40 and haven't had a problem since. What is your favorite?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2008
    Bloomington
    WD-40 gets gummy by collecting debris and is a gunsmith's nemesis. It may be fine for the barrel and exterior steel, but do not use it as a lubricant for the action or other moving parts.

Personally, I have heard good recommendations about FP-10, and I've been satisfied with it so far.

Dave_H.

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Guess I'm the odd man out. I HATE cleanin' guns. Rather take a beatin'. I'm more picky about my centerfire rifles and do try to clean them after every few rounds...depending on what they are, but my handguns seldom get the full treatment. I only shoot lead in the handguns and seldom clean the bores unless I have a problematic gun that is leading for some reason. (And then only until I figure out what the problem is and resolve it.) Other than that, they get all of the soot and crud wiped off of them with some solvent on a rag and then wiped down good with Cleansoil and put away. I might lube 'em a little here and there with some CLP, or other good gun lube, but that's about it. A rimfire just about has to quit functioning before I'll break it down and detail clean it. I personally think you can wear a good gun out with too much cleaning.

As a side note...I've never tried a Boresnake. Part of my hesitancy about cleaning the handguns is my reluctance to clean from the muzzle end. I hate it. Anything I can't clean from the breech becomes less likely to be cleaned regularly. Maybe I need to try the Boresnake. :):

1 old 0311

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    Carmel
    I tried a torture test on my range CZ P-01 to see how long it would function without a jam. At 1800 rounds it was so dirty I couldn't stand it any longer and cleaned it.

p.s. I was using White Box, and you KNOW how dirty that crap is.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    I try to clean mine within 48 hours of a trip to the range.

Yesterday, I cleaned a new (actually used, I just got it off gunbroker.com) Savage Mark II and it had to be the dirtiest gun on earth. After a one hour cleaning, I think I could resell it for $50 on top of what I paid for it.

Claddagh

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2008
    I like WD-40 as a protectant. As a lubricant for machinery, especially firearms, I think it's pretty worthless.

I'll soak a swab with it and slather a good coat all over the metal. Having the metal slightly warm to the touch seems to make a difference in how lasting the anticorrosive protection is, IMO. After a few minutes 'soak' I wipe the excess off everything with a rag. I've found this to work particularly well on my C&B revolvers after cleaning when the parts are still warm from the drying process. I relube where it's needed with oil or grease as required as I reassemble.

I've stored blued weapons given this treatment for well over a year with no signs of rust, even when they were kept in a plastic hard case or fabric 'rug'.

For the stuff I hunt with, items that don't get out of the safe much and my regular CCW weapons I prefer Renaissance Wax or Blue Wonder Armadillo. I have some antiques and edged weapons that've been stored for several years in between inspections and nary a spot of corrosion was found when they finally saw daylight again.

NWIeng

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Jan 11, 2009
    Hammond
    Whether it's necessary or not, I have never made a trip to the range in which I did not clean my handguns immediately after returning home. One is a glock, on is a steyr which has proved already to be as reliable as my glock.

I agree with other posters to this thread that this is very theraputic, for me at least. Much like when I clean my golf clubs after finishing 18.

Aside from being theraputic, I also clean both my guns and my clubs for the same reason....so that they perform at their best the next time they come out.

blue2golf

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Evansville
    A firearm should always be cleaned after being fired. It should also be cleaned if taken to the field in poor weather conditions (rain, snow, dusty, etc....). Good cure for boredom too...

Top Bottom