• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Oct 3, 2008
    On a hill in Perry C
    I'd say the largest split in this ".22 cleaning" camp is correlated to semi-auto vs. bolt-action firearms.

There's far more fouling in the actions of semi-autos and that tends to induce malfunctions (as mentioned above, generally 400-600 rounds depending on design & tolerances). Bolt-actions deposit most of the fouling in their barrels and it doesn't build up nearly as quickly.

Both types can suffer from leading (where lead is deposited & builds up), depending on the ammo & barrel. At the very least, inspection and monitoring for that issue is important. This often shows up as decreased accuracy and in advanced cases, key-holed targets. Extreme leading can lead to a squib/barrel obstruction.

Personally, I clean mine (all semi-autos) before any extended storage (longer than a couple weeks). Galvanic corrosion is a real thing and I tend to shoot copper plated or jacketed bullets most of the time. This also helps me prevent fouled actions and malfunctions at the range, as I'm generally starting from a zero round count and rarely shoot a full brick at a single session.
    Great observation! Mine are mostly bolt actions so my crud induced malfunctions are mostly extraction failures caused by a carbon ring in the chamber.
    Ammo is a big factor, certain brands are notorious for leading (Thunderbolts in particular) while others (Goldens and Federal) produce lots of soot. Since I've gone almost completely to European ammo, I haven't had any leading and crud build up is greatly reduced.

jayhawk

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 16, 2009
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I also use a bore snake. For all my guns actually. Mostly dry, but at times I'll put some solvent down the bore, let it sit, run a few patches through and finish with the snake. This helps to keep my snakes from getting nasty.

For 22's I also clean around the bolt paying attention to the ejector and extractor. Those are the areas that when dirty enough start inducing malfunctions.

This is pretty much my exact process. My 22s are bolt action CZs, fwiw.

I may do a thorough cleaning once a season or when I'm bored and want to spend time with my guns.

hooky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 4, 2011
    Central Indiana
    When I was a kid, I hated cleaning my guns. My dad was a stickler about cleaning them after every use.

40 years later, I'm become my dad. Sometimes I'll clean clean pieces just to clean them again.

Duce

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 3, 2009
    Delaware County
    Cleaning is a necessary evil. Rifle magazine wrote several articles on it. I'l try to hit high points. Cleaning rod, carbon fiber, aluminum, steel? Don't wipe down cleaning rod, fouling/carbon is abrasive, get the picture. Solvent and fouling make a wonderful abrasive slurry. Solvents many that remove copper contain ammonia that is hard on rifling. Bore brushes, not going there "necessary evil". Hunters that do everything correctly. Checkout zeroing before they hunting, cleaning bore carefully. The day of the hunt, get that first shot and don't hit where they aimed, clean barrels shoot different than fouled. For me, I check my zeroing and the rifle is not cleaned until the season is closed. Rifle offered the opinion that unless done correctly, cleaning did as much damage as not cleaning, ''necessary evil''. I know many know this, but is wonderful food for thought. <>< Duce

hans1911

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Sep 10, 2018
    Covington
    I typically run a bore snake down my rimfires every few hundred rounds. I also will use a brush to clean the bolt/breech face and extractor. When accuracy falls off, then I do a thorough cleaning.

WhiskE TangO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 20, 2022
    Bargersville
    I have a heavy barreled CZ 455 and I clean the bolt, chamber and barrel sporadically. I have had not issues with not cleaning it and I shoot it suppressed 100% of the time.

VinceU1

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Aug 1, 2011
    Indy
    Here is everything you never wanted to know about cleaning your .22LR barrel.

Attachments

• Rimfire_Cleaning_-_Rimfire_Research_&_Development_(1).pdf
      8.6 MB · Views: 28

55fairlane

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 15, 2016
    New Haven
    My Anschutz I pull a snake thru it once a year or so, I pull the bolt and trigger assembly once a year and do a good cleaning

My AR 22lr bore snake every couple hundred rounds, bolt comes out every 750-1000 rounds

I will never use a rod on any of my barrels again! Spend hours with a rod trying to remove leading out of my AR 22lr....hours....2 pulls with a new bore snake...clean, like new........

I do not feel any barrel (rimfire or center fire) needs a spic & span clean , unless leading or copper fouling.

Aaron

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    My Anschutz I pull a snake thru it once a year or so, I pull the bolt and trigger assembly once a year and do a good cleaning

My AR 22lr bore snake every couple hundred rounds, bolt comes out every 750-1000 rounds

I will never use a rod on any of my barrels again! Spend hours with a rod trying to remove leading out of my AR 22lr....hours....2 pulls with a new bore snake...clean, like new........

I do not feel any barrel (rimfire or center fire) needs a spic & span clean , unless leading or copper fouling.

Aaron
    Sounds about like me now. Except when I do a deep cleaning.
    I used to clean every shot when going for absolute cold barrel and clean barrel accuracy.
    I learned that wasn't the best way the hard way. It's best to foul the barrel after cleaning at least 5 shots before target shooting. It made a huge difference in my groups.
    Totally clean your barrels if you are putting it in the safe for a month or longer. Let it run fouled until the accuracy starts to drop if you shoot it often.

Top Bottom