• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    "Christian Nationalism" is quickly becoming a slur like "RINO" or "Marxist" - something you say to shutdown discourse and marginalize your [perceived] opponent.
    I dislike labels, but my most intense dislike is for new labels. Whenever someone starts using a new term, look for the "why". Generally, it's not to describe, it's to pigeonhole. 1) Create a term that sounds negative. 2) Label your "opponents" with that term. 3) Define the term in a way that discredits your "opponent".

They last 10 or 20 years has been rife with this....on all sides.

historian

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    SD by residency, Hoosier by heart
    I dislike labels, but my most intense dislike is for new labels. Whenever someone starts using a new term, look for the "why". Generally, it's not to describe, it's to pigeonhole. 1) Create a term that sounds negative. 2) Label your "opponents" with that term. 3) Define the term in a way that discredits your "opponent".

They last 10 or 20 years has been rife with this....on all sides.

That's exactly what you would think, Valpo man!

:D :D

R3p1lc3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 23, 2024
    English
    I'll not attempt to disagree with any of your points. I'll merely reply that the body of believers, who understand all of this context and nuance, were not the intended audience of those commercials.
    That's a fair point. I feel the commercial was good for where it was good. Those that already understood need not any convincing. Those that abstain should not judge the ones who eat, as the ones who eat should not judge the ones whom abstain as long as all are in so honoring our lord.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Recently my mom's church started a revival. Tuesday morning as I was doing my daily readings before work, a question popped up from her. Here is a question for you. How do you understand Psalms 37:4? Knowing she really meant Psalm 36:4 I looked it up.

Delight in the Lord,
    and he will give to you the requests of your heart

Brannan, Rick, Ken M. Penner, Michael Aubrey, Israel Loken, and Isaiah Hoogendyk. 2020. The Lexham English Septuagint. Second Edition. Bellingham, WA: Lexham Press.

In between pulling on pants from a last check of INGO and putting away my toothbrush, I replied, "Immediately reminded me of ask and ye shall receive passage and another passage, but the The key is in the first part of the verse."

Then work took up the rest of the day, but I received a reply. "Your first response is typical of most people, ask and you shall receive. That is how I have always thought." I sent back "Inasmuch as I am united to Christ, the desires of my heart will be aligned with His desire for me, but I still don't have time to flesh that all out"

Then by the rules of jeopardy, I gave my final answer. "Worship and communion. Because when I read, I felt led to answer the question how do I delight in the Lord? Communion both in the narrow sense, taste and see that the Lord is good,and in a broader sense by living sacramentally seeing God in all things and rejoicing in moment. That when others look at me they see Christ at work in my life so that we can share in the communion of all things in Him."

It was a blessing to dwell on that verse, but l would love to hear your meditations on that verse.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Recently my mom's church started a revival. Tuesday morning as I was doing my daily readings before work, a question popped up from her. Here is a question for you. How do you understand Psalms 37:4? Knowing she really meant Psalm 36:4 I looked it up.

In between pulling on pants from a last check of INGO and putting away my toothbrush, I replied, "Immediately reminded me of ask and ye shall receive passage and another passage, but the The key is in the first part of the verse."

Then work took up the rest of the day, but I received a reply. "Your first response is typical of most people, ask and you shall receive. That is how I have always thought." I sent back "Inasmuch as I am united to Christ, the desires of my heart will be aligned with His desire for me, but I still don't have time to flesh that all out"

Then by the rules of jeopardy, I gave my final answer. "Worship and communion. Because when I read, I felt led to answer the question how do I delight in the Lord? Communion both in the narrow sense, taste and see that the Lord is good,and in a broader sense by living sacramentally seeing God in all things and rejoicing in moment. That when others look at me they see Christ at work in my life so that we can share in the communion of all things in Him."

It was a blessing to dwell on that verse, but l would love to hear your meditations on that verse.
    In 1984 I was in the worst tribulation of my walk with Christ. Extreme suffering, my pastor at that time said to me one day Psalm 37 is for you. It has been my favorite chapter. The entire chapter speaks to my heart. “Delight thyself also in the LORD; and he shall give thee the desires of thine heart.”

Trust comes first, then delight. I guess it comes down to what delight means, and means to each of us. And what’s in the heart. I delight myself whenever mom made cheesecake! Or going on a deer hunt…..I had found delight in the Lord as well, but now a new and better perspective.

It is a delight to talk to Him, to hear from Him in so many ways he uses. To hear someones testimony, to hear or read His word….. and I have had desires in my heart come to past, some spiritual but also in the flesh I guess. Some took years and some took decades. But I know and see the fruit of it. And with it great peace. My greatest desire now is for His coming to set this world right and to end this circus and reign on earth. But I’m patient as we all must be.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

The older I’ve gotten, I’ve started to see the Bible as more descriptive and less prescriptive. Less prescriptive, as in, here’s a big book with a whole bunch of rules for you to follow. More descriptive, as in, God created the universe and the whole story of Christ reveals all of the levels of God’s being and character and desires.

So the Bible is about orienting yourself in proper order towards God or the highest ideal (Christ). If you are properly oriented, then your heart’s desires will line up with God’s desires for you.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011

Alistair Begg is a preacher that when tuning the dial I would stop to listen to.

I hadn't heard him in a little while and someone wanted me to listen to Gavin Ortlund talk about Icons at his truth unites youtube

It was there I found out about the above scandal.

What advice would you have given?

What would you have done?

ditcherman

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2018
    In the country, hopefully.

Alistair Begg is a preacher that when tuning the dial I would stop to listen to.

I hadn't heard him in a little while and someone wanted me to listen to Gavin Ortlund talk about Icons at his truth unites youtube

Does the dude or dudeette who wrote that ever go out to eat after church on a Sunday?
    We just love to pick on the gays, don’t we?

Personally, I think it’s a case by case basis as far as attending an event, and trying to break the stereotype that we are not the intolerant ones.

I always loved hearing Begg as well, but haven’t heard him in a long time.

Flame on.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso

I disagree with him on one point, but it's the point. However, I understand where he is coming from.

Don't cut them off. Make sure you tell them you love them and want to spend time with them. Interact. Get to know the partner. Don't go to the wedding.

Marriage is a very specific, biblically defined thing. I cannot endorse this by my presence.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I disagree with him on one point, but it's the point. However, I understand where he is coming from.

Don't cut them off. Make sure you tell them you love them and want to spend time with them. Interact. Get to know the partner. Don't go to the wedding.

Marriage is a very specific, biblically defined thing. I cannot endorse this by my presence.
    I thought on this myself too. I would not attend the wedding but I think i would go to the reception.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN

I think this is where some of the confusion comes in.

Christians aren’t “against” gay marriage per se. If it’s two men, or two women, then it isn’t marriage.

Homosexuality is a sin just like 1,000 other kinds of sin. It isn’t any more or any less evil. Churches will preach against it fiercely but have their congregations full of pride and gossip.

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    I would file this under I Corinthians 8. If one's conscience is clear, one may participate. If one's conscience is not clear, then one should avoid. And one should not allow the exercise of freedom of conscience cause another to stumble.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I like it that you have given this thought. There is enough latitude for differing positions.

Personally, I would not go to an event that specifically celebrates the wedding at all, but that's me.
    Yes. I thought on this specific instance not on gay marriages in general etc.

In this context, it was a grandmother grandchild relationship, not a coworker, friend etc. So Family relationship played a role.

I also thought about exactly how the reception would play out. If I was to go and it was a complete celebration not of love, however misguided, but of a culture to which I do not belong, my attendance would be rather short.

Jesus did go into the house of sinners and hung out with some so I think I could do the same, but I would not try to put on an appearance of lowest common denominator Christianity. If asked what I thought, I would respond appropiately.

Of course, I didn't mention it but I would also do what the grandmother did, I would ask my priest and I would do whatever he said.

I would pray about it from the time I got the invitation, not think about it 30 min and post it here to ask advice :)

As ChristianPatriot put it, and it was considered in my approach, sin is sin. Would I approach a marriage born out of adultery any differently? I don't think I would attend that ceremony either.

In my tradition its different than most other expressions of Christianity. You can marry 3 times in the Church. The first one is the happy celebratory service. If you divorce and remarry, the readings all change, the prayers are penitential etc. It is much more somber. I have not observed that in other churches. Usually the service is the same.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    I think this is where some of the confusion comes in.

Christians aren’t “against” gay marriage per se. If it’s two men, or two women, then it isn’t marriage.

Homosexuality is a sin just like 1,000 other kinds of sin. It isn’t any more or any less evil. Churches will preach against it fiercely but have their congregations full of pride and gossip.
    As the secular world forces itself into the sacramental world, priests that are in gay marriage states are taking different actions. I think what I have heard said is they will not sign any marriage certificate as that is the realm of the secular.

bashMOH

Hawaiian Pizza
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 22, 2022
    Daviess county
    In my tradition its different than most other expressions of Christianity. You can marry 3 times in the Church. The first one is the happy celebratory service. If you divorce and remarry, the readings all change, the prayers are penitential etc. It is much more somber. I have not observed that in other churches. Usually the service is the same.
    I've not heard of that before. Why three? Does it matter if it was a no-fault divorce or clear cut adultery? Could they marry outside the church like Roman Catholics?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    I just watched a video today of a guy who was gay but repented and became a Christian 25 years ago. He said gays don’t see being gay is a sin or wrong and you have to realize that in them. They think they are perfectly normal. They say and think “This is Who I am.” But that’s where they are wrong. It’s actually “How you are.” They have a faulty filter unable to see reality and truth from feelings and emotions.

Found it interesting. Wouldn’t go, wouldn’t participate in any way. Don’t want to be a partaker in another man’s sin.

ChristianPatriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    Feb 11, 2013
    Clifford, IN
    I just watched a video today of a guy who was gay but repented and became a Christian 25 years ago. He said gays don’t see being gay is a sin or wrong and you have to realize that in them. They think they are perfectly normal. They say and think “This is Who I am.” But that’s where they are wrong. It’s actually “How you are.” They have a faulty filter unable to see reality and truth from feelings and emotions.

Found it interesting. Wouldn’t go, wouldn’t participate in any way. Don’t want to be a partaker in another man’s sin.

If I ever had the….gumption…it would be funny to have a conversation some day that’s like:

Person - “I’m gay”

Me - “Yeah I’m prideful. We’ve all got things that we’re struggling with.”

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    If I ever had the….gumption…it would be funny to have a conversation some day that’s like:

Person - “I’m gay”

Me - “Yeah I’m prideful. We’ve all got things that we’re struggling with.”
    Ya but they don’t see it as a struggle or sin so as stated they won’t have a clue what you’re talking about. That was the main focus of the video. We know we have sin and need Christ, they don’t understand the need for repentance for something that isn’t sin.

Top Bottom