CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: The "Science -vs- Religion" debate...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • deal me in

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 14, 2012
    Avon
    I consider myself a Christian and I do my best to live it but I can tell you from following similar threads on other forums its just going to lead to hard feelings on both sides. just my 2 cents.

Maybe, but when I first started to seriously think about religion/atheism, it was a religious debate thread on another board that got me started. I just lurked and read the arguments and I found it very helpful. Maybe there are other people like me who are undecided and will get value from these discussions like I did, even if they don't paticipate.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    Valid lol

I disagree. I believe any religious person would welcome science as the study of God's creation, and I would think any scientist would gladly study creation to either prove or disprove God's existence. They are related
    OK, I agree to your point. However, to date, no one has brought forward any proof that God exists to be scientifically studied. His existence is supported by faith alone.

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Science:
    "According to quantum mechanics, what we can observe about the world is only a tiny subset of what actually exists."

Religion:
    "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen"

Discuss
    :)

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Science:
    "According to quantum mechanics, what we can observe about the world is only a tiny subset of what actually exists."

Religion:
    "Faith is the substance of things hoped for, the evidence of things unseen"

Discuss
    :)

Like, say the Higgs Boson. Aka the "god particle".

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    OK, I agree to your point. However, to date, no one has brought forward any proof that God exists to be scientifically studied. His existence is supported by faith alone.

You're correct...thus far. But science, by its nature, cannot conclude that the existence of God can never be proven.

Seems that we're in agreement on this point, I think

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove
    Like, say the Higgs Boson. Aka the "god particle".

Or "Dark Matter" and "Dark Energy".

Dark Matter/Energy cannot be seen directly, but it's affects on other matter can be measured. Is it REALLY that big of a stretch from that, to..

"He himself existed before anything else did, and he holds all things together"

Roadie

Modus InHiatus
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Beech Grove

"I agree to your point. However, to date, no one has brought forward any proof that [Dark Matter] exists to be scientifically studied. [It's] existence is supported by faith alone"

findingZzero

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 16, 2012
    N WIndy
    I'm a scientist. I believe that GOD is a metaphor for all we don't understand and may never understand. There is GOD, but beyond what we think. To me it's the connection of all things needed for the universe to work. We are all in this together. The idea of GOD is limiting. We think of Zeus, the bearded divinity in flowing robes. This is silly. In order to see/experience GOD, one has to give up the idea of GOD. The older I get the more I feel this connection. This is beyond scientific measurement. The more you let go, the clearer this becomes. Or it could just be the wine talking.....

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    You're correct...thus far. But science, by its nature, cannot conclude that the existence of God can never be proven.

Seems that we're in agreement on this point, I think
    Indeed, is His existence possible? Maybe. Are the Loch Ness Monster, ET's, Bigfoot, ghosts, supernatural, witches, possible? Maybe. However there is not evidence to support that ANY exists. Obviously we cannot say they 100% do not exists. There is still much about the universe we do not know or understand. However, until I see proof that any of these things exist, I will not believe they do. Call me a skeptic. I have no FAITH.

mbills2223

Eternal Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 16, 2011
    Indy
    Indeed, is His existence possible? Maybe.

This makes you consistent and scientific...I can respect that. My problem is when "scientists" (who are really more accurately described as militant atheists) in this debate state that the existence of a Creator is utterly impossible. That is very much unscientific.

Denny347

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Napganistan
    This makes you consistent and scientific...I can respect that. My problem is when "scientists" (who are really more accurately described as militant atheists) in this debate state that the existence of a Creator is utterly impossible. That is very much unscientific.
    Agreed. Even Dawkins was quoted, "I cannot be sure that God does not exist." But without proof, he does not BELIEVE. It folly to say you KNOW there is no God. You are correct, that is a very unscientific statement. Someone can claim that there is a teapot circling the Earth. However, without proof, I will not believe it exists. It is up to the claimer to provide proof of the claim. Disbelief is what defines us Atheists. When I die, I guess I will find out for sure.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Agreed. Even Dawkins was quoted, "I cannot be sure that God does not exist." But without proof, he does not BELIEVE. It folly to say you KNOW there is no God. You are correct, that is a very unscientific statement. Someone can claim that there is a teapot circling the Earth. However, without proof, I will not believe it exists. It is up to the claimer to provide proof of the claim. Disbelief is what defines us Atheists. When I die, I guess I will find out for sure.

Excellent point. I have a much easier time with someone who tells me that he doubts the existence, does not believe God to exist than someone who tries to tell me that there is no such thing as if it were an established fact.

Top Bottom