CIVIL RELIGIOUS DISCUSSION: All things Islam...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish
    I hope I haven't come across in that manner.

I am simply attempting to say it is possible to know something by personal experience that is impossible to prove to anyone else, but that also doesn't mean its any less true.

Being a Christian is not arrived at by head knowledge.

Whether I am in a Chemistry class wanting to know what is in a solution or trying to determine the existence of God, I will never know unless i invest some time in the matter. I can read my Chemistry book all day long and unless I start titrating I will NEVER know what is in that bottle. I can read the Holy Bible, I can read the Koran, or any other sacred text but unless I DO something, I will never know the truth of the matter.

I generally agree with the emboldened sentence as stated. But of what value is that. I think the only usefulness is limited to trying to show people you're not crazy for what you believe. And believe me, I'm not trying to say you or any other religious people are crazy. I don't believe that. But it doesn't do anything to convince me that you're right either.

It doesn't logically follow that if you believe something with maximum confidence, it must be true, or if I doubt it hard enough, it's false. Your belief or my skepticism in themselves aren't logical indicators that your belief is true or false. A better indicator of what is true or false is the quality of what we based our conclusions on. If you tell me that you really believe it, and you really have faith, I'm going to be skeptical. But if you tell me that you've seen God yourself, and you can provide evidence that you really saw him, that's more convincing.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Is there any value to you in knowing the truth?

For me there is great value in both the knowing of and the seeking after truth, but do we share this pursuit?

I generally agree with the emboldened sentence as stated. But of what value is that. I think the only usefulness is limited to trying to show people you're not crazy for what you believe. And believe me, I'm not trying to say you or any other religious people are crazy. I don't believe that. But it doesn't do anything to convince me that you're right either.

It doesn't logically follow that if you believe something with maximum confidence, it must be true, or if I doubt it hard enough, it's false. Your belief or my skepticism in themselves aren't logical indicators that your belief is true or false. A better indicator of what is true or false is the quality of what we based our conclusions on. If you tell me that you really believe it, and you really have faith, I'm going to be skeptical. But if you tell me that you've seen God yourself, and you can provide evidence that you really saw him, that's more convincing.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Ummmm who held the ground first in the Crusades?

While I understand what you're saying, it isn't quite historically accurate in my understanding....however, in my search for truth, I am willing to learn differently.

It's about time....the Christians have crusaded into the Islam thread.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    You mention Crusades as a noun. I used it as a verb. We missed forming a covalent bond on the matter.

You guys are battling epistemology (lots of nice books on the subject).

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Name them! Been wanting to get a good overview approach.

I'd show you my amazon searches as prove but please just believe me in faith on this one.

You mention Crusades as a noun. I used it as a verb. We missed forming a covalent bond on the matter.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Wow. Popper, Descarte, Hume, Kant, Plato

Just off the top of my head. Probably the best but you really have to chew through it is Kant. I would lean toward Descarte.

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    wanting a text that would be used in a PHIL 200 level class as an overview compare/contrast

Wow. Popper, Descarte, Hume, Kant, Plato

Just off the top of my head. Probably the best but you really have to chew through it is Kant. I would lean toward Descarte.

jamil

code ho
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 17, 2011
    Gtown-ish

I thought we were just discussing it. Not a battle.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    Last edited:

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH

Sharing some electrons so closely that it effectively completes something in each of you sounds ... icky

Couldn't you just share a couple beers
    :)

PaulF

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 4, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So, these guys seem pretty, um...radical. :cool:

sKz8maY.gif

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Apparently Imam Tawhidi's message is too SENSITIVE for twitter - Twitter is blatantly censoring counter-narrative messages with the "sensitive" label

h6gfyrldgy8z.png

Top Bottom