Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    I hate this automated crap.
    How can you "face your accuser"?

When my dad got a "stop light" camera violation, they had a sequence of three photos.
    He could dispute it, because in all 3 photos, his car was in the same position.
    The car in the NEXT lane was moving.
    So the camera equipment was WRONG.
    My dad fought it. But how many people were ROBBED because they didn't dispute it.

Driving through Iowa, I got a speed camera ticket, mailed to my house.
    How do I dispute it?
    I get it weeks later. I don't know what I was doing.
    I get a single picture showing my car. Yup, that's my car.
    So how do I know what speed I was going?
    :xmad:

At least a REAL OFFICER on the side of the road pulls me over, I know right then.
    I'm there.
    And my accuser is there.

How about they stop trying to be everyone's daddy, giving them money, and instead spend the money doing what THE GOVERNMENT IS SUPPOSED to do?
    I would say policing is a function of government.
    Just like courts.
    Instead, they're trying to put electric car charging stations all over, pay people to not work, and 1000 other things.

04FXSTS

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 31, 2010
    Eugene
    state of NY sent me a form saying I owed for an un-paid toll and my vehicle was on camera. I disputed this and they sent a copy of the license plate off a tuck but not my truck because I have never been in NY. Figured out it was the same plate number of a vehicle I had sold several years before. Sent a copy of an old photo I still had showing the vehicle with the same plate number. It also shows that the numbers are the same but the plates, car/truck are different. Never heard back from NY again even though I added a $25 charge for educating them. Jim.

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Got a demo of a license plate recognition system years ago when IPD (the real IPD) was considering using them mounted on police cars. An officer could drive down a street and the cameras would photograph every license plate he/she passed. It would attach date, time, and GPS data which would then be compared to an existing database of stolen or wanted vehicles. The rep told us it was originally developed for commercial parking garages, like at an airport, where you could park for a week, upon exiting claim you'd lost your ticket, and only be charged for 24 hours. They said airports were losing megabucks in parking fees. Don't know if the PD ever bought in.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    I'm guessing this won't be taken well...

The vehicle is supposed to be properly tagged (plated).
    That's the law you agreed to when you got a driver's licence (a privilege, not a 'Right').

Those plates are supposed to be clearly visible, space for the plate provided by the manufacturer to keep you legal.
    It couldn't be more simple.

Anything in the public domain (roadways, public access parking spaces, etc.)
    It's clearly legal to video.

*IF* you aren't doing anything illegal, why is it a problem with you?

You all complain about crime, particularly crimes against persons, but you complain when a tool is available that will help solve, or potentially reduce those crimes?

It seems to be schizophrenic thinking (at best) to first want crime reduced, or solved,
    Then complain about tools that will allow law enforcement to do just that very thing...

You DEMAND things change, crimes get solved, then turn right around and demand law enforcement does it *YOUR* way...

It's not about *YOU*,
    And you can't have it both ways.

As to "Big Brother" watching *YOUR* every move...

Get over yourself, you just aren't that important.

No reason to give you the first thought if you aren't doing something illegal.
    There are thousands of hours of video of most people going about the business of normal life, and no one gives a crap in the slightest...

It's actually a pain in the butt to have so many average people in the frame when they are trying to catch criminals...
    From privacy rights to storage media space, to eyeballs to figure out the difference.

I have deleted thousands of hours of video of just average folks from my small security system simply because they weren't doing anything illegal (or interesting).

There is an entire industry in the billions of dollars just trying to filter the average folks OUT of video so they can concentrate on criminals.
    (See every video security company in the world)

This makes me think there are ulterior motives involved,
    From paranoia (mental illness), thinking they are so important the NSA/CIA/FBI is tracking their every move,
    (The tin foil hat bunch)

To shady people doing sketchy stuff not wanting to get caught...

Last edited:

Leadeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 19, 2009
    The article mentions that the Wyoming cameras will not be used for traffic but for major crimes, maybe so. While I'm not a policeman, I have to ask how often "major crimes" are committed with stolen cars rendering the camera info moot.

1gunaholic

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Nov 10, 2021
    Central Indiana

The vehicle is supposed to be properly tagged (plated).

Those plates are supposed to be clearly visible, space for the plate provided by the manufacturer to keep you legal.

You all complain about crime, particularly crimes against persons, but you complain when a tool is available that will help solve, or potentially reduce those crimes?

It seems to be schizophrenic thinking to first want crime reduced, or solved,
    Then complain about tools that will allow law enforcement to do just that very thing...

You DEMAND things change, crimes get solved, then turn right around and demand law enforcement does it *YOUR* way...

But, where/when does it stop? Ask the Chinese people how they feel about the 1.4 billion of them being under constant watch.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Really no different than the readers they use on the toll bridges over the Ohio river to bill you for using them.
    Does IN/KY actually ever send bills for the bridge tolls?

The wife and I have one(1) EZ Pass but every so often we drive two(2) cars over the bridge when travelling to visit the hillbilly family. Have never gotten a bill in the mail. Bad plate read, lazy gov't employee, poorly programmed software, so small they don't care?

Just had a revelation. We are usually driving "convoy" style so maybe it picks up the EZ Pass tagged to both license plates and bills us twice?

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural

mao-ze-dong-waving.gif

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    But, where/when does it stop? Ask the Chinese people how they feel about the 1.4 billion of them being under constant watch.

Think that one through...

Chinese are 'Watched' by their own family/neighbors, with rewards for 'Informing' on others...
    True claims or not, it's still incentive based.

Plate (or potentially occupant faces) is actual hard evidence of a specific vehicle, or maybe person of interest, being in a specific location at a specific time/date.

There isn't a way for a camera to make false claims about your guilt, just report you were in the area when a crime occured.

Cameras can't report a negative, or make false claims,
    The camera can't make up a picture of you or your vehicle/plates when you weren't there.

To *Believe* otherwise shows mental illness in some sort of conspiracy against *YOU* personally...

The article mentions that the Wyoming cameras will not be used for traffic but for major crimes, maybe so. While I'm not a policeman, I have to ask how often "major crimes" are committed with stolen cars rendering the camera info moot.

Where was the car stolen from, and when was the car stolen, all valuable investigative tools...
    It lets the investigators know it was pre-planned which kicks the suspect list to a different level.
    And the person the vehicle was stolen from might be able to shed some light on the case...

Steal a vehicle, or anything else from me, and you will be on camera once again.

If the vehicle is stolen off the street, how about doorbell and security camera where the vehicle was stolen?

And what about the crimes committed by people in their own vehicles...
    As it do something stupid, then run for cover.

Crimes against persons are often crimes of opportunity, as in vehicle thieft/car jacking, robbery, hit & run, argument/fights that get out of hand, etc.
    In these cases, knowing where/when a particular plate/person passed a likely get-a-way route point would be very valuable.

Last edited:

Jaybird1980

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 22, 2016
    North Central
    Does IN/KY actually ever send bills for the bridge tolls?

The wife and I have one(1) EZ Pass but every so often we drive two(2) cars over the bridge when travelling to visit the hillbilly family. Have never gotten a bill in the mail. Bad plate read, lazy gov't employee, poorly programmed software, so small they don't care?

Just had a revelation. We are usually driving "convoy" style so maybe it picks up the EZ Pass tagged to both license plates and bills us twice?
    We received a bill and a fine for not paying it all at the same time.
    And on top of that, it wasn't even our car or license plate number.
    It was a grey car, and that's where the similarities stopped.
    Have never even been on the new toll bridge.

JeepHammer

SHOOTER
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 2, 2018
    SW Indiana
    Political rants clipped...

At least a REAL OFFICER on the side of the road pulls me over, I know right then.
    I'm there.
    And my accuser is there.

Um, no.
    You face your accuser in court.

If falsely accused, that's where the legal system, under the Constitution of the United States lays down your right to have evidence presented, contested, ect.

Basically what you wrote was if a police officer didn't catch you read handed, Where you can't squirm out of it,

You didn't *Really* do anything wrong no matter what it might have been you actually did...
    And no matter who you did it to.

And video isn't *Evidence* of anything...

I'm pretty sure that's not going to fly in the courts since video evidence is used to convict all the time...

Ingomike

Top Hand
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 26, 2018
    North Central

The big props that undergird all this rely on court interpretations that were made in a no technology time.

One was using their car near a bank robbery and the plate was publicly visible police staking out the bank on a tip. Simple, the courts of the time ruled, the plate is “public” for all to see.

Then we had the evolution of the camera, first just in the hands of the photographers, then in the hands of the public, then ubiquitous in society. Courts ruled in a time of few cameras that if you were out in public and were in a photo, it was public and you could do nothing about it.

Put these two together in a highly technological era and we are light years beyond what the courts were thinking of when they made these rulings

So let’s flesh out where we are headed in a day of 24 hour video collection. (widespread facial recognition is next.)

Public services collect license plate data they claim is for crime solving, then the cash strapped municipalities begin to sell that data to big tech, big tech puts all that data online combined with other data they collect. There is no privacy anywhere in this system. Not at home, not at work, nowhere. (And spare me the BS that one doesn’t have to have a phone, most all jobs require one now,). In Lawrence v. Texas the court ruled on a right to privacy, that privacy is now gone, the data mongers know who is in that room having sex.

To my knowledge no court in the modern era has ever looked at this level of use of data to see if it crosses a constitutional line. Just you proponents pushing outdated rulings. I for one want control of my privacy, as do most of INGO, that you cannot respect that desire says a lot about you…

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    Got a demo of a license plate recognition system years ago when IPD (the real IPD) was considering using them mounted on police cars. An officer could drive down a street and the cameras would photograph every license plate he/she passed. It would attach date, time, and GPS data which would then be compared to an existing database of stolen or wanted vehicles. The rep told us it was originally developed for commercial parking garages, like at an airport, where you could park for a week, upon exiting claim you'd lost your ticket, and only be charged for 24 hours. They said airports were losing megabucks in parking fees. Don't know if the PD ever bought in.

I don't recall the thread specifically, but there was some discussion during the Obama administration of IMPD running their units with the plate scanners through the parking lots of gun shops and shooting ranges.

It jumps out in my mind because something that came out of the discussion was that regardless of where you might park, it never hurts to back into the spot, if that is an option.

It's a smart tactical move to back onto the spot. Besides your plate being out of camera scanner or eyeball view, you are "batman ready" to exit the area quick if necessary.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom