• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    So I live in the city limits of South Bend, I know, why would someone ever consider doing that ... But I am also teaching my Cub Scout son how to shoot a BB gun, is it legal to shoot a BB gun within city limits based on the thought that it is not classified as an explosive driven projectile, and therefore not a firearm?

IC 35-47-1-5
    IC 35-47-1-5
    "Firearm"
    Sec. 5. "Firearm" means any weapon:
    (1) that is:
    (A) capable of expelling; or
    (B) designed to expel; or
    (2) that may readily be converted to expel;
    a projectile by means of an explosion.
    As added by P.L.311-1983, SEC.32. Amended by P.L.3-2008, SEC.254.

japartridge

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 20, 2011
    Bloomington
    Be very careful alot of cities have regs even against air rifles and BB guns. You may want to *shudder* call the SBPD and ask them if it is legal... if they say it isn't, ask for the code number to verify. ;)

Dwight

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 24, 2011
    Sheridan
    Japartridge nailed it. For example, I'm in Noblesville and there is a local ordinance that prohibits ANY projectile and specifies air guns, slingshots & bow and arrow, etc. in addition to the firearms.

Unfortunately, the IC is just the beginning of the limitations. Be sure to check locally.

schapm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    Lafayette
    When I was 9 years old I had my first negative contact with law enforcement due to shooting a BB gun inside the city of Lafayette.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    BB guns are not a "firearm" by IC (no explosion).

But, according to SB Ordinances, you cannot shoot a BB gun:
    Municode

Sec. 13-58. - Discharging firearms prohibited; exception.

(a)
    No person shall shoot any revolver or pistol of any description, shotgun or rifle which may be used for the explosion of cartridges, any air gun, gas-operated gun, spring gun, pellet gun or instrument made for the purpose of throwing or projecting missiles of any kind by any means whatsoever, whether the instrument is called by any name set forth above or by any other name. [9]
    (b)
    This section shall not apply to any legally appointed officer in the discharge of his duty.

Sorry about your luck....

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    Not sure about your living quarters, but growing up, my dad bought us a pellet/BB gun and a pellet trap. We set up in the basement and shot pellets into the pellet trap.

Fun city livin'!

Yeah .. a basement is perfect for that .. doesn't take much of a backstop for a BB or pellet ..

Southbendfamily

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 21, 2013
    SBN
    Thanks for the reply's, I guess I will have to take him to Mishawaka with friends or find a friendly farmer that would let us set up cans in a field outside of the limits. I'm sure that with the responsible lessons I'm trying to espouse I shouldn't start him off with breaking the law in his own backyard. I can tell you that this city is leaving me with a worse taste in my mouth every day.

Tinner666

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 22, 2012
    Richmond, Va.
    Yeah .. a basement is perfect for that .. doesn't take much of a backstop for a BB or pellet ..

Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here. A BB is a steel ball last time I checked. It requires a lot more forethought. Those things bounce bounce all over the place. Hit a brick and it just goes in anther direction. Pellets will flatten and even fragment with much less chance of an injury. I wouldn't want to be within 100' of a ricocheting BB.
    Be careful out there.:)

cubbetm

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    41   0   0
    Mar 10, 2013
    When I was 9 years old I had my first negative contact with law enforcement due to shooting a BB gun inside the city of Lafayette.

weird I shoot my pellet gun bb gun and paintball guns in my backyard all the time and I've never had any trouble. maybe I should check the laws

jerryv

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Evansville
    Just thought I'd add my 2 cents here. A BB is a steel ball last time I checked. It requires a lot more forethought. Those things bounce bounce all over the place. Hit a brick and it just goes in anther direction. Pellets will flatten and even fragment with much less chance of an injury. I wouldn't want to be within 100' of a ricocheting BB.
    Be careful out there.:)

You'll put your eye out, kid ..

danielson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Napoleon
    Laws like this are just so stupid. By the definition stated above, If I take the ends off a pen, chew a piece of paper, and spit it at you, Ive just violated city law.. WTF?

sun

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Connecticut
    I shoot pellets into a .22 trap that's set up in my basement.
    When my kids were young, I set up a foam archery target for bow and a cardboard box for shooting BB's into.
    And a wall composed of thick layers of cardboard was hung from a rope behind the target area to act as another barrier for errant shots.
    The laws are made to protect the public from accidents and stray shots landing on other properties within what could be a densely populated area. But there's little chance of law enforcement getting involved as long as all of the shooting is done indoors and out of the sight of neighbors who might complain.
    Shooting indoors provides all the more reason to wear eye protection to help prevent injury.

Last edited:

JoshuaW

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jun 18, 2010
    South Bend, IN
    Go with an airsoft gun that he can use inside. If you have a privacy fence, I wouldnt worry about using it outside, but otherwise I wouldn't risk it. Also, know your neighbors. I don't think I would have problems with my neighbors, but your mileage might very. Growing up in Elkhart, we had some awful neighbors who HATED us shooting our pellet guns in the backyard. More than once we had the police called, and my parents always handled it and explained to us that sometimes things are wrong that shouldn't be.

You would probably be okay going outside city limits somewhere, or take him to Kodiak. He can still shoot his pellet rifle there, he will just have to still use eyes and ears.

DC47374

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Richmond, IN
    The laws are made to protect the public from accidents and stray shots landing on other properties within what could be a densely populated area.
    I would say the law was made to bring in revenue to the city and provide possible "victims" with easier means to sue in civil court. :twocents:

Top Bottom