• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    So I'm in the market for a new watch and I've stumbled across the Citizen BJ8070-51E. I've never owned a Citizen watch and kinda want to know the general consensus on the brand before I drop $400 on a watch.

Thanks

Dean C.

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 25, 2013
    Westfield
    I have had one since I was in the 6th grade about 8 years ago it is one of the dress style watches not very practical but is still runs very well and I am sure will continue to function for years to come.

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    I would say the obvious buy what you like..are there better watches out there in the 4-500 range (gently used) yes.

k1500

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 15, 2013
    West Lafayette
    I've had the same citizen promaster watch since 1997. Until last year, it only need battery changes and an occasional pin that would fall out of the band links (maybe 4 during the whole life of the watch). Then the crown started to get loose and wouldn't spin the hands so I let it run til the battery died. I debated buying a new one, but that $250 watch then was about $400-500 to replace. I sent it in for repair taking a chance. It only cost $90 including a complimentary battery change. Damn thing works great yet again and will probably do so for many years. I've also hit that thing on many hard objects while on my wrist and still works. So, 16 years of service before a minor repair.

I highly recommend a Citizen watch. It will give you many years of fine service.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    I have a Citizen Eco-Drive. It looks very nice and hasn't failed me yet. I'm not sure what else it's supposed to do compared to other brands.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Have a couple of Citizens that I've had well over 30 years. Still running, still look great. Same with Seiko, had a digital LCD model for 36 years now, my 'regular, knock-around' watch for years and years, and the only maintenance it's ever needed was some dirt / gook cleaning, and about a half dozen batteries (seriously, 6 - 8 batteries in 36 years).

Is $400 a lot of coin for a watch in 2014? :dunno: but I know my Seiko was about $300 when I bought it and I think the Citizens' were (IIRC) $279 each. And that was over 3 decades ago.

Last edited:

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    I've had a couple of the G-Shock digital atomic ones. I gave the old one to my son when I got the one with the metal band. Sets itself, recharges itself, many features, and it can easily survive much more than my wrist can. It was the ultimate bus driver watch. I don't think I had $50 in either one on ebay. Not fashion stuff, but I'm not a fashion guy.

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    My eco-drive comes off maybe twice a year for a hose down with brake cleaner. I am a one watch kinda guy and it looks good enough to wear when dressed up and is tough enough to wear when working. I have broken the bands on several previous watches, more specifically the pins in the bands. To the point that I made my own out of hardened tool steel. Haven't needed to use any of my indestructo pins on the Citizen in the 5 years I have worn it.

Cam

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Oct 7, 2008
    Tipton County
    I have several Citizens and not a single issue with any of them. I have a bit of a watch problem that I am still in rehab for so I like my Cymas and such a little more, but Citizen is a great brand with great quality.

jsgolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 20, 2008
    Greenwood
    I bought a Promaster in 1990 for $450 and still wear it daily. Looks great (ss/gold) and runs great, just replace the battery every couple years.

cl4p-tp

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 25, 2012
    Kokomo
    I've had 3 less expensive ($100-150) watches in the last 2 years that have quit on me and just wanted to know if citizen was a brand that will last a while. I'm really tired of buying watches every 6-12 months lol.

From what I've read it seams like they are pretty durable, thanks everyone

Vigilant

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Jul 12, 2008
    Plainfield
    Citizens are very nice affordable, "nice watches", but for the amount you are talking about spending, look at Hamilton, nicer watches, better movements.

Fishersjohn48

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Feb 19, 2009
    Fishers
    My Eco-Drive quit working after about 5 years and cannot be repaired for any less than buying a new watch. Personally, I would not buy another Citizen watch.

Top Bottom