• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    ANNNNNNND it's approximately 30 air miles direct from old Ft. Harrison to Richmond Hill subdivision. That would be quite a "deflection" - in fact, that would be a science fiction deflection.
    I don't know very much about the Hellfire but quite a few guided missiles are WAY off target trajectory upon initial firing and only zero in on the target late in the trajectory.

Look at the Javelin shoulder-fired missiles. They exit the launcher, make a steep ascent, then drop out of the sky. If the missile is jammed during the steep ascent part it could very easily end up 30+ miles from it's intended target.

While I realize we're comparing apples to oranges here, the mechanism by which they work is related.

jeremy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Feb 18, 2008
    Fiddler's Green
    I don't know very much about the Hellfire but quite a few guided missiles are WAY off target trajectory upon initial firing and only zero in on the target late in the trajectory.

Look at the Javelin shoulder-fired missiles. They exit the launcher, make a steep ascent, then drop out of the sky. If the missile is jammed during the steep ascent part it could very easily end up 30+ miles from it's intended target.

While I realize we're comparing apples to oranges here, the mechanism by which they work is related.

Kinda....
    Maybe....
    Not really...

The reason the Javelin makes the steep ascent upon launch, is mainly due to the use off that system. It is a man portable, anti-tank system. To make the system light enough and still capable, it was made to target a tank from one of its weakest points, the top off the tank. The hellfire doesn't have either the same concerns, nor a similar launch profile (working from 1998 memories here)...

Not to mention I'm not sure, but I don't think you can "jam" either system. You may be able to confuse the systems momentarily though....

CountryBoy19

Grandmaster
    Rating - 91.7%
    11   1   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    Bedford, IN
    Kinda....
    Maybe....
    Not really...

The reason the Javelin makes the steep ascent upon launch, is mainly due to the use off that system. It is a man portable, anti-tank system. To make the system light enough and still capable, it was made to target a tank from one of its weakest points, the top off the tank. The hellfire doesn't have either the same concerns, nor a similar launch profile (working from 1998 memories here)...

Not to mention I'm not sure, but I don't think you can "jam" either system. You may be able to confuse the systems momentarily though....
    I understand why the Javelin works the way it does. I have no idea if one (Javeline or Hellfire) can be effectively jammed but lets play along with the premise of the ridiculous article and pretend they can be. In either case, if they were jammed immediately after being fired and they continued on their current path until they ran out of juice and fell out of the sky, it is plausible that they end up WAY off target, up to and including 30+ miles no?

BTW, I think the Hellfire Longbow (AGM-114L) can be jammed as it uses a radar guidance system vs. the laser guidance system on the standard Hellfires. They even at one point re-designed it to reduce it's vulnerability to being jammed. Although I'm not sure how vulnerable it is. I would assume its more plausible that we can jam our own weapons more effectively than an enemy could because we have better technology and we know the characteristics.

I'm not saying that it is what happened. I'm not sure if it's possible. I don't know much about missiles. I just know about the jammers. I'm just trying to explain why a missile that was jammed would end up WAY off its intended target. The article is BS for sure but that doesn't mean every aspect of it is entirely inaccurate.

Vic_Mackey

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2009
    Beastside
    Kinda....
    Maybe....
    Not really...

Former Cavalry Scout here, I've used quite a few Javelin systems in my time with the Cav. The missile itself uses an optical array. Basically, your
    LU (Command Launch Unit) uses a day or thermal vision system to take a "picture" of your intended target, and the missile uses that "picture" to find it's target. No wires, no painting needed. It doesn't necessarily need to be a tank, it could be anything. For a tank the weakest point is the top, so there is a top down fire mode. But for anything else it can be fired in a straight line.

Now as for the AGM-114, most variants are laser guided except the AGM-114L "Longbow Hellfire", being radar guided. Laser guidance can be provided either from the launcher, such as the nose-mounted gun sights on the Apache, other airborne target designators or from grunts on the ground painting the target, the latter two options allowing the launcher to break line of sight with the target and seek cover.

Those can be jammed using RF jamming, or Electronic CounterMeasures. However, the newest model, the AGM-114L5 has new software upgrades for Electronic Counter CounterMeasure (ECCM), RF jamming including home on jam and anti jamming.

I've never seen a Javelin get jammed, but I'm assuming it would take some sort of anti thermal system our something to break the line of sight, but seeing them in action it would be nearly impossible lol

Last edited:

yotewacker

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    suppose one was headed for the finance center the other, for the navel avionics center.

I'm thinking this should have showed up on Indy's airport radar approach center.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 24, 2012
    Avon
    3200 sq.ft. house full of gas because a furnace repair was done wrong. Something in the house like a cell phone ringing causes a small spark and boom.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    Myth busters tried to start a fire with a cell phone. It didn't work out.

Likely, it was the ignition in the furnace or water heater.

I'm guessing furnace, since initial reports said the owner "fixed" the problem with the thermostat.

He probably turned it down real low so the furnace wouldn't kick on.

No one in the house, and a really cold night would get the house cold enough.

Again, just my wild speculation.

Zoub

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2008
    Northern Edge, WI
    Zoub perhaps you didn't realize that there are at least three more Finance Centers in the nation?
    Yeah but I don't care about that, I just want Jeremy's check to get hit and I am playing the odds that his check comes from 56th street. Also, I am not a total prick, a hit in that neighborhood would affect my future inheritance but I am willing to go "All In" if it means Jeremy suffers.

And I agree if we were watching the sky for things like Pterodactyls, we would be a lot smarter as a species because with the industrial revolution and govt funded breeding programs, we have totally circumvented Darwin's Theory.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    I don't think it was a drone, but I do think something hinky might be going on. Possibly some domestic terrorism. It seems like a lot of things can be combined now days to make explosives.

Especially considering that 3 days later another house explodes in Indiana. Unless I have been missing the fact that here in Indiana we are having a couple of houses blowing up every week. Link to news report of Tuesday explosion...

Albion House Explosion (Video) | Indiana's NewsCenter: News, Sports, Weather, Fort Wayne WPTA-TV, WISE-TV, CW, and MyFOX | Local

Well...looky there. It seems that ""It has been a criminal investigation from day one," said Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry. "The fire investigators have ruled out any accidental cause, and obviously that confirmed that this is a criminal investigation."

I thought we were told it was just a gas explosion. Nothing to see here. Move on...move on. This is not the exploding house you are looking for (as authorities do the Jedi wave thing).

I still do not think it was a missile from a drone. But it is now confirmed that it was not an accidental gas explosion either. Seems that my previous post may have been correct. Here is a link to the newest info...

RTV6 - Deadly Indianapolis home explosion now criminal homicide investigation, source says - Local Story

Last edited:

ghuns

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 22, 2011
    Well...looky there. It seems that ""It has been a criminal investigation from day one," said Marion County Prosecutor Terry Curry. "The fire investigators have ruled out any accidental cause, and obviously that confirmed that this is a criminal investigation."

I thought we were told it was just a gas explosion. Nothing to see here. Move on...move on. This is not the exploding house you are looking for (as authorities do the Jedi wave thing).

I still do not think it was a missle from a drone. But it is now confirmed that it was not a gas explosion either. Seems that my previous post may have been correct. Here is a link to the newest info...

RTV6 - Deadly Indianapolis home explosion now criminal homicide investigation, source says - Local Story

Where in the story you linked is it said that the explosion was NOT from gas?

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Where in the story you linked is it said that the explosion was NOT from gas?

Point taken. I guess it could have been an intensionally set gas explosion. Either way, it was not an accident.

And considering that the public was told it was an unintentional act, yet this article quotes officials that state the investigators knew it was an intentional act from day one, causes me to distrust anything said by these same officials.

I have edited my previous post to be more accurate.

Top Bottom