• ...and so much more!
  • indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    I am shopping for 9mm bullets atm. What are good recommended projectiles to load?

The choices are kind of daunting between weights and designs there are many.

Currently looking at Hornady 115gr XTP. What else should I be considering? What is the ideal weight?

Will be fired from semi-autos, either a 92fs or my CZ 75D PCR and possibly my Browning BDM.

Links to good reading welcomed as well.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    Yes, I have a bunch of Hydrashok and Critical Defense for my EDC’s.

But I want to get some defense projectiles to load up in bulk for just in case scenario.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    For ammo swappers:

147gr generally penetrates *less* than 124+P in heavy clothing tests, though it expands slightly more.

Neither enough to amount to a hair in a bear's ass, mind you. If your gun likes 147, run it. 124+p, run it. 115 tends to fair poorly in auto glass tests, which is also a very good analog for hard bone strikes.

Max Volume

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jul 26, 2008
    da region Highland
    I haven't reloaded any of them. Just did a cursory search and they are out of stock everywhere. I do know that XTP's are very
    popular for deer in .44 and 45C.

indyblue

Guns & Pool Shooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Aug 13, 2013
    Indy Northside `O=o-
    115 tends to fair poorly in auto glass tests, which is also a very good analog for hard bone strikes.
    Thanks @BBI, I hadn't considered all the possible barriers my loads might need to penetrate. This make sense and will direct my choices going forward.

I'm not opposed to the heavier bullets, but they do get more pricey the heavier you go (both in materials & shipping). I am trying to manage the costs ATM.

1697343555950.png 1697343705674.png

midwestmobster

Plinker
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 10, 2023
    Indianapolis
    I am shopping for 9mm bullets atm. What are good recommended projectiles to load?

The choices are kind of daunting between weights and designs there are many.

Currently looking at Hornady 115gr XTP. What else should I be considering? What is the ideal weight?

Will be fired from semi-autos, either a 92fs or my CZ 75D PCR and possibly my Browning BDM.

Links to good reading welcomed as well.
    I only have one gun atm. I use .38 special +p hollowpoints. I've been using a brand called Buffalo Bore which I've been extremely happy with. They have a website if anyone wants to check them out. Are they good? I have had zero issues but my frame of reference is very low.

Amishman44

Master
    Rating - 98%
    49   1   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Woodburn
    I only have one gun atm. I use .38 special +p hollowpoints. I've been using a brand called Buffalo Bore which I've been extremely happy with. They have a website if anyone wants to check them out. Are they good? I have had zero issues but my frame of reference is very low.
    Buffalo Bore, as do many other 'manufacturers' buys their bullets premade and then load them to their own specifications, and then sell the finished product (bullet) under their own name brand. www.underwoodammo.com does this, www.littlestonesrus.com does this, etc. One advantage of using Littlestones Ammo is they offer a reloading program, if you save the casings and send them back, they will reload them for you.

OP - with 9mm, I am in the 124 grain camp for bullet weight. Keep in mind though, as a general rule, the bullet weight should correspond relative to the barrel length of the pistol you're shooting it through. The shorter the barrel the lighter grain your bullet should be as the shorter barrel provides less time (distance and time) for powder burn, which is what creates acceleration of the bullet as it passes through the barrel. A heavier bullet tends to accelerate slower, aka, it takes a longer barrel with longer powder burn time to get it up to speed / velocity than a lighter bullet, in the same length barrel.) For example, a 115 grain projectile will accelerate to speed faster, whereas a 147 grain projectile will take a longer distance (longer powder burn) to achieve velocity.
    The point being, when you lose velocity, you lose kinetic (disbursable) energy.
    So for me, I generally tend to use the following guideline, in a 3.5" barrel I use 115 grain bullets, with a 4" barrel, 124 grain bullets, and with a 5" barrel, 147 works great! Keeping in mind the differences in powders, bullet performance, seasonal clothing wear, etc., this is just a general rule, but it can be a good basic guideline relative to need.

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    For pulls, there are several methods of demilling. Some leave marks, some don't. For plinking stuff, I don't really care, but I'd never buy pulled carry bullets with collet dents on them. I don't care about the cost of projectiles when they go in my daily carry. There are some things to compromise on, that is not one of them.

I've done testing with water barrels and denim, and the Everglades Ammo projectiles work as well as the XTPs do, especially 40/10mm/45cal. They're a little less expensive and I buy them in bulk for plinking as well as around the house pest control.

www.evergladesammo.com

Last edited:

Aszerigan

Grandmaster
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    336   0   0
    Aug 20, 2009
    Bean Blossom, IN
    Also, my carry ammo around the property is different than my carry ammo in town. I use 124+P for off the property and 147gn subsonic JHP at home. That's usually because I'm shooting critters suppressed after dark around here and want to control the noise. In a parking lot, I'm less apt to care if people here the shots.

The bedside, office and studio guns are 10mm so they're just loaded for bear.

bgarman47

File Jockey
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 8, 2023
    Ossian
    Something to keep in mind that modern marketing will often try to spin; penetration is really the #1 criteria in any defensive handgun load. Consistent penetration through multiple kinds of barriers is the most important thing any bullet can do. It doesn't look flashy in gel tests, but it's what works.

Expansion is a secondary factor that can increase the wounding potential of a load by increasing it's surface slightly; but the more important thing is that the nose of the projectile isn't round. If a JHP doesn't expand much wider than it's initial diameter but flattens out nicely, it is still crushing soft tissue in front of that bullet. Round noses push material aside, flat noses crush. We want crush.

Thank about it out of context a bit... How many experienced hunters do you know that use explosively expansive or fragmenting bullets to kill deer size game? Likely not very many unless they are shooting for the head/CNS. In hunting we all want a bullet that will pass through at least to the hide on the opposite side of the animal for the deepest wound track through the most vitals. Why should we think about handgun bullets differently?

Lucky Gunner has some excellent (and free) resources to see how different projectiles compare. Linked here:

Lucky Gunner Gel Tests

Another thing to keep in mind is every bullet is designed to perform in a "window" of velocities. If a load was designed for a 4-5" barreled service pistol pushing 1100fps, that same projectile will likely fail when pushed out of your 3" pocket gun at 900fps. Another user mentioned using lighter bullets in shorter gun; a better answer is faster burning powders selected by the ammo manufacturers to enhance performance in shorter barrels. Make sure the load (powder and projectile) you select is designed for the velocity you expect to get. Try messing with different powders as much as different bullet weights.

The blanket answer for most pistols is likely the Speer Gold Dot or Federal HST in 124gr. Those projectiles are insanely consistent through most barrier tests I have seen. Speer makes a version of the 124gr designed specifically for short barrels as well, which is nice if you're carrying something below 4". These may be difficult or impossible to source as a projectile only, unfortunately. If you're running something below 3" for some reason, Hornady XTPs are about the only JHP that will still open to a degree without completely sacrificing penetration.

Per my usual, this wound up being a wall of text. Hopefully it helps somebody!

Top Bottom