• ...and so much more!
  • cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    This is fairly typical Chinese political theater. Every so often the government stirs up anti-Japanese sentiment, and politics heat up for a while. There is usually some domestic political cause.

The CPC is selecting new leadership this year, and nothing unifies the people behind the Party like disdain for Japan. That being said, the feeling is based in genuine antipathy for the Japanese, which isn't likely to vanish anytime soon.

The Chinese leadership knows that a real war would damage Chinese foreign relations in a significant way, perhaps irreparably. (China's unlikely to copy our actions in invading Iraq...)

With respect to military activities in Tibet, well, that is part of China. Does military training in e.g. Missouri have any bearing on American activity in the Gulf of Sidra?

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Uh-oh! What will happen to Walmart if China gets bogged down in a war? We'd all better get our new iPhone-5's and Christmas shopping done quickly!

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    This is fairly typical Chinese political theater. Every so often the government stirs up anti-Japanese sentiment, and politics heat up for a while. There is usually some domestic political cause.

The CPC is selecting new leadership this year, and nothing unifies the people behind the Party like disdain for Japan. That being said, the feeling is based in genuine antipathy for the Japanese, which isn't likely to vanish anytime soon.

The Chinese leadership knows that a real war would damage Chinese foreign relations in a significant way, perhaps irreparably. (China's unlikely to copy our actions in invading Iraq...)

With respect to military activities in Tibet, well, that is part of China. Does military training in e.g. Missouri have any bearing on American activity in the Gulf of Sidra?

I'd guess their economy is getting shaky now, too. There are ways of controlling a hungry, restless populace other than building ghost cities.

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis
    Bogged down?

We're not talking China vs. Vietnam! :):

I know you're just making a joke, but the Chinese' Vietnam Experience was humiliating for them and they've spent quite a bit of money to improve their military since 1978. I think they still don't have the naval forces necessary to project military ground forces in a conventional armed conflict with Japan or the disputed islands in question, while Japan has a fairly modern and robust naval home defense force - but probably has the same sort of problem transporting ground forces to counter the Chinese.

The theory that this is a periodic distraction for the Chinese population as they transition to a new leadership during a time of economic down-turn is likely correct, from what I've heard.

.45 Dave

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 13, 2010
    Anderson
    Weren't the Chinese threatening a war with the Phillipines a few months ago? And I think I remember something about war with the U.S. too. Seems like every time they get their panties in a bunch about something they threaten war.

miguel

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Oct 24, 2008
    16T
    Maybe we'll get lucky and get a double-header?

ISLAND INSANITY: Sons of Nippon vs. China AND United Kingdom vs. Argentina.

I would so PPV that...

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow
    I know you're just making a joke, but the Chinese' Vietnam Experience was humiliating for them and they've spent quite a bit of money to improve their military since 1978. I think they still don't have the naval forces necessary to project military ground forces in a conventional armed conflict with Japan or the disputed islands in question, while Japan has a fairly modern and robust naval home defense force - but probably has the same sort of problem transporting ground forces to counter the Chinese.

The theory that this is a periodic distraction for the Chinese population as they transition to a new leadership during a time of economic down-turn is likely correct, from what I've heard.
    In 1978 China had just emerged from the Cultural Revolution, and although the Army was protected, no doubt the chaos affected combat readiness. That was 34 years ago, and doubtless they've improved since then. On the other hand, Japan would be no pushover.

This is likely just theater. China has bigger ambitions in the South China Sea, so they won't want to get in a tussle over Diaoyu/Senkaku. Once (if) Taiwan is assimilated, they'll probably press the issue again.

rnmcguire

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Feb 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    Their armed forces. They're not weak by any stretch of the imagination.

Japan doesn't have "armed forces". They have the Japanese Defense Force which isn't a full scale military force. If China were to attack Japan they may as well attack Hawaii again because the United States agreed to defend them after WWII as they were prohibited from standing up a full military force. So I would say the probability of this happening is pretty slim.:twocents:

Top Bottom