• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    Trying to plan a small trip for my wife and I in September and thinking about driving up to northern Indiana and catching a train into Chicago. Anyone know how close the South Shore line can get you to Navy Pier/the lake shore? If we can, we will uber or take a cab to Wrigley if we can buy tour tickets if available. We have never taken public transportation other then a cab once in St. Louis. Any help would be appreciated, we are only doing a day into Chicago and spending two nights near the dunes area.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    You can take the train that goes from indy to Chicago for under $50 per person round trip I think. It stops several times along the way so one of those stops may be closer for you to get on. Take a cab from Union station to Navy pier is around $15. Sometimes uber charges peak fees and its more than taking a taxi around Chicago. Or take bus 125 or something like that from union station to navy pier and its 2.50 each way per Person. If you ride the downtown buses they are clean and safe. You can jump on a bus from the station and for $2.50 ride it all along the shoreline up to the museum of science and industry or the field museum ect.
    If you wanna get to Wrigley take the blue line subway train. If you take a cab to Wrigley from downtown its gonna be at least $20 one way but most times more.

Last edited:

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Trying to plan a small trip for my wife and I in September and thinking about driving up to northern Indiana and catching a train into Chicago. Anyone know how close the South Shore line can get you to Navy Pier/the lake shore? If we can, we will uber or take a cab to Wrigley if we can buy tour tickets if available. We have never taken public transportation other then a cab once in St. Louis. Any help would be appreciated, we are only doing a day into Chicago and spending two nights near the dunes area.

The South Shore will get you to Millenium Station. Once you get above ground, Uber and taxis will be an option. I'm a weirdo, so I frequently use city buses, subways and the "L". I fit right in. There is an "L" station a couple of short blocks from Millenium Station and the subway entrances are on State Street which, if you know where to go, you can get to completely underground.

Personally, I like using public transportation from time to time just so I don't have to hassle with a car and so I remember how to "do the dance". In the last year I was in New York for business a few times and being conversant with trains, buses and subways is a lifesaver there.

In Chicago, it's easy enough to drive around if you want to. Sometimes I do, sometimes I don't.

Last edited:

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    Stops are Van Buren/Jackson and Millennium Park. From there, as stated above there are a LOT of options to get you the rest of the way. I know the schedule and prices are online. From East Chicago to the city is pretty cheap and free parking in East Chicago too.

jedi

Da PinkFather
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    NWI, North of US-30
    so your only stops are navy pier and the cubs stadium?
    you can take south shore all the way in. there is a cta bus that goes from melinium station to navy pier as well.
    it would be at least 2 bus hops for the cubs ball park or taking the cta train once in downtown.

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Take the South Shore to Millinnium Station, it's the end of the line in Chicago. From there you are only 1.5 miles from Navy Pier. If you feel like walking, it's a nice walk up Michigan Avenue to Grand Avenue. Don't try to walk down Lake Shore drive, that's the highlighted route for driving below. If you walk, just be careful that you don't walk past Grand Avenue, because Grand Avenue is actually below Michigan Avenue, Michigan crosses over Grand. It's well marked, but you have to walk down the stairs to get to Grand. There are a gazillion cabs in Chicago. It's easy-peasy to flag a cab when you get off the train. Walk out of the station and onto Randolph (see circle on highlighted route, that's Randolph and Michigan, that's where you exit the train station, flag a cab, and it's a short ride to Navy Pier. Can't get any easier.

South_Shore_Navy_Pier_zps5pzenf0k.jpg

terrehautian

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 6, 2012
    Where ever my GPS says I am
    so your only stops are navy pier and the cubs stadium?
    you can take south shore all the way in. there is a cta bus that goes from melinium station to navy pier as well.
    it would be at least 2 bus hops for the cubs ball park or taking the cta train once in downtown.

Nothing is set in stone, but Navy Pier and the lake shore for sure. I was thinking about a boat ride on the river and lake and tour of Wrigley would be bonus. This isn't until September so I have nothing set in stone yet, in fact we haven't even taken our first week of vacation (week after next) and nothing is 100% set in stone other then where we are going.

Top Bottom