• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    This afternoon, I bought a 1999 Chevy Silverado 1500 to use as a work truck for a building project that we will be doing over the next couple of years. It's is pretty good shape for its age and drives well. The only issue that I want to fix immediately is the drivers side power window will not go down. I replaced the power window motor this evening. With the new motor, the assembly will go up but not down. I assume that means it is the switch. I plan to disassemble the switch tomorrow to see if the contacts are dirty. Does anyone think they know for sure what is going on? If it is not the switch, then what?

Woobie

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 19, 2014
    Losantville
    Did the regulator (the mechanism that holds the glass and moves up and down) look like everything was attached and functioning while you were in there? That one might have used a cable type, while others use a scissor type of mechanism. Just shooting from the hip, it sounds like the switch is your best bet if it's going up but not down. You can test it if you have a meter that will read less than 12v. The only other thing I can think of is to be sure the regulator is attached to the glass and not slipping off when it moves down. But you can hear that happening through the door if that's the case.

halfmileharry

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Dec 2, 2010
    South of Indy
    I've replaced dozens of the motors/regulators and I've ran into a lot of defective ones that would go one way. I'll say it out loud... O'teally a/p parts are a culprit of sub standard window parts. I have a couple of bad ones in my Buick right now.

Reagan40

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Dec 30, 2013
    too far from nature
    Thanks for the responses. While you were responding, I decided to go out and mess with it some more. I used a 12v drill battery and two wires and connected it to the multi connector that connects to the switch. I found the two connections that are for that window. Once I got polarity right, the window went down. I reversed polarity, then it went up. So, I think that confirms its the switch. I'm wondering whether to try to take the switch a part and see if it is repairable or if I should just order a new switch.

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    I've replaced dozens of the motors/regulators and I've ran into a lot of defective ones that would go one way. I'll say it out loud... O'teally a/p parts are a culprit of sub standard window parts. I have a couple of bad ones in my Buick right now.

Not to make you mad, but O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Advance, and NAPA, sell the EXACT same BRAND ..... DORMAN .....

They just Re Box them ..... I work at NAPA, now, and did O'Reilly, for 4 years .....

DORMAN .....

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Thanks for the responses. While you were responding, I decided to go out and mess with it some more. I used a 12v drill battery and two wires and connected it to the multi connector that connects to the switch. I found the two connections that are for that window. Once I got polarity right, the window went down. I reversed polarity, then it went up. So, I think that confirms its the switch. I'm wondering whether to try to take the switch a part and see if it is repairable or if I should just order a new switch.

Just hit it with some electronic cleaner...no need to disassemble, just work it back and forth. Unplug it first.

GLOCKMAN23C

Resident Dumbass II
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    S.E. Indy
    Not to make you mad, but O'Reilly, Auto Zone, Advance, and NAPA, sell the EXACT same BRAND ..... DORMAN .....

They just Re Box them ..... I work at NAPA, now, and did O'Reilly, for 4 years .....

DORMAN .....

Yes, NAPA also sells a remanufactured one, much better quality than the Dorman junk.

Top Bottom