• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • mertbl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 6, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Anyone involved with the Community emergency response team (CERT) in their area? Im kinda curious if its worth my time? Can I gain legitimate skills through it or will they just teach me to pass out bottles of water?

Monty

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 26, 2011
    Shelbyville
    I took the CERT training in March in Johnson County. Great instructor and came away with a task list for our home for when a emergency arises. Also given basic tasks to help within our own community until help comes;). Planning on the whole family attending the next opportunity along with signing up for CPR & Basic First Aid classes. Built a network of like minded community people as well.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I've had partial CERT training that was tailored to our church's needs.

I wish I could've had more of the training - but life dictated otherwise.

It's not all about "passing out bottles of water", it's about becoming an asset / resource for the community in the event of some kind of disaster / emergency.

-J-

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    More civilians should take CERT training. If you aren't going to become a professional or dedicated volunteer, then it's the best single point training you can get.

This endorsement right here is probably the best single endorsement of ANY INGO'er.

I say this in all honesty and sincerity in knowing just a small fraction of shibumiseeker's background: If HE endorses the training, then it's good to go.

And I'm not just blowing smoke up his backside, either. (not this time, anyhow) :D

-J-

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    This endorsement right here is probably the best single endorsement of ANY INGO'er.

I say this in all honesty and sincerity in knowing just a small fraction of shibumiseeker's background: If HE endorses the training, then it's good to go.

And I'm not just blowing smoke up his backside, either. (not this time, anyhow) :D

-J-

I appreciate the vote of confidence :)

I do have to qualify that at least part of what makes the course good is the instructor, and there ARE some bad instructors out there.

It's just that CERT is one of the few basic courses that covers most things and I think it's one of the things FEMA does pretty well.

Icarry2

Master
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Nov 14, 2010
    Franklin County, VA
    I found that some counties do not have programs setup, Vigo stated lack of funds. I downloaded the training manuals and reviewed them before putting them in my library.

If I ever have the chance I feel the training would be good.

TJ

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    Marion county has a very good program. Some smaller communities in Marion county have their own very active teams like southport with a lot of local support, even the mayor is On the team.

I recommend CERT to anyone who wants to be ready and help themselves and community in a disaster. CERT also helps at events like the state fair and Indy 500. Marion county issues an equipment bag to its members.

Stay safe!

Hoosierkav

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Dec 1, 2012
    South of Indianapolis
    The program does not need to be largely formal; if a HOA sponsored the program, even without the helmets and backpacks, they would be leaps and bounds ahead of a community which did nothing other than try to call 911.

Trigger Time

Air guitar master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98.6%
    204   3   0
    Aug 26, 2011
    SOUTH of Zombie city
    CERT is a good idea if you are a person who is willing to help others in need. A person who has a first responder certification or higher will find the medical portion of the training repetitive and below your cert level, and on some things CERT asks you to to things different than what you have been trained to do. As with other training proceedures. Basically they follow their CERT instructor book to a "T" in order to keep national uniformity. What you do out in the field is of coarse up to you or whoever is leading your group at the time of disaster. You still operate by the standard of "do no harm".
    Also they are BIG on team safety and security and have strict guidelines on how to determine if a structure is safe to enter or not. Again, whether one does or not in the moment is ultimately your own choice and risk. But CERT operates on a buddy system so if you die trying to be a hero/idiot your buddy probly dies too.

In a major disaster or mass casualty event where local rescue services are stretched thin, I believe CERT deffinately is a HUGE advantage if used properly by the local authorities and not just blown off as "wannabees". CERT has worked very hard to avoid this perception and actually certifies its people with advanced training and CERT is backed by FeMA and DHS and IDHS here in Indiana. I recommend once a person is CERT certified they contact their local fire department or mayors office and make them aware of a CERT presence in their city and work together to do the max good for your community without interfering with the paid first responders. If they have questions you can't answer then simply refer them to the state IDHS cert liaison or public relations person.

If you have the opportunity to get CERT certified in your county then get it!

Last edited:

bingley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2011
    Take a look at the CERT training manuals:

Training Materials | FEMA.gov

This is pretty much the stuff you'll learn. A lot of it is less about imparting skills, and more about defining the role of CERT so CERT can work effectively with professional first responders (i.e., won't get in the way, won't do what they legally shouldn't do, won't do what they're not officially trained to do). The skill level required for CERT isn't high, but I'm guessing that some people have a knack for acting effectively in an emergency -- that part isn't taught, and maybe it can't be taught.

If you're just looking to pick up some skills and then say goodbye to CERT, the CERT course will be a waste of time. It's better to take the Red Cross courses or to find State-certiifed search & rescue or EMT courses. If you're interested in helping with the community, then CERT is one way to get into it. However, be forewarned that CERT seems to have a high attrition rate. You're not constantly doing CERT things and training, and people gradually drift away. It's a fledgling program.

If you're seriously interested in helping the community in times of crisis, be aware that different areas do different things, and not all CERT programs are equal. But no CERT program will go very far without citizenry participation.

Top Bottom