• ...and so much more!
  • JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    First, let me say nothing bad happened.
    Two nights ago my granddaughter spent the night with us. She was cranky and wouldn't sleep. Hoping to calm her down and taking advantage of a very pleasant evening (actually about 10:00pm) my wife and I took her oustide to see the stars and bright moon. As we were stargazing on the sidewalk in front of my house, I heard footsteps approaching very, very fast behind me. It was not a jogger! By the time I turned around, a very large fellow in his best 'urban atire' was next to me. He mumbled "What's goin' on?" Fortunately, he kept moving. He may have been the nicest guy in the world, but it could have been a very different scenario. I'm still kicking myself for not being in condition yellow and worse, my XD was in the house. I hope I've learned a lesson that sticks with me. I post this little experience in the hope it may help someone here, too.

henktermaat

Master
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 3, 2009
    All i can say is ...I am carrying Right now as i am on the couch browsing INGO....

Never be caught unprepared :twocents:
    INGO_flag-big.gif

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    A wise man learns from his mistakes.
    A wiser man learns from the mistakes of others.

Thanks for sharing.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's funny, as I was reading this thread, my doorbell rang. It was some young woman with what sounded like a Russian accent. She was selling some kind of encyclopedia or teaching books for school kids.

I'm sure it was perfectly innocent, but what set me on edge (aside from just having read this thread), was that she had no visible ID on her, and before she started into her spiel, she wanted to know the names and ages of the kids in my house. She said "I've already met the other parents on your street and got to hear about..." and proceeded to name several of the other kids and their parents' names on my street. That annoyed me because it felt like I was being manipulated into trusting her (oh, she must be OK if she knows everyone else). She got flustered when I told her I refused to give out information about my household. I asked her who she was representing and she mumbled something about a company named "Southwest". That's the same thing I hear from bill collectors when they call my number looking for the previous owner of the number. They always refuse to be upfront about who they are. They'll mumble a set of initials or something: "Oh, I'm with A.R.S." and then get cagey when I ask who "A.R.S." is or what the corporate address is.

Like I said, it was probably perfectly innocent, but I wasn't falling for it either way.

ETA: This post was copied into a new thread: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...elf_defense/51406-pumped_for_information.html

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    First, let me say nothing bad happened.

GOOD!

I'm still kicking myself for not being in condition yellow and worse, my XD was in the house. I hope I've learned a lesson that sticks with me. .....

Kind of makes you feel naked .... don't it?

Speaking of being naked....... :laugh:
    Yep...my Glock is with me except when showering.

You should get some of those firing pin sleeve things for your glock so
    you can fire underwater. No excuses then! :):

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    Big time, Printcraft, big time!

Not trying to rub salt in your wound, but the bigger shortcoming here is, of course, being caught unaware rather than being caught unarmed. Even if you'd had your XD on your hip, that dude could've cut you high wide and handsome before you ever knew "what's goin' on." Mindset really IS everything.

My :twocents:

JR50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Significantly North of Rt. 30
    No problem, Shooter.
    Without the proper mindset that shootin' iron or shootin plastic - whatever the case may be - is at best inefficient and more than likely ineffective.

I'm kicking myself now. If something bad had happened .....

Top Bottom