I rarely wash (my pans), I have this:

oxo-cast-iron-brush.jpg

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    Jimb, that is a common misconception about cast iron. In the old days when soap was mostly lye, it was a different story. It could actually harm the seasoning. Modern soaps don't have the concentration of lye in them. If your seasoning is done correctly, washing in a mild soapy solution won't hurt anything. That said, I wouldn't soak them overnight or anything but you can wash them if you feel the need. I personally use water and paper towels and wipe them out. Spray a shot of PAM on them, wipe them down and they are ready for the next meal.

IME lye will remove the seasoning. Most soaps leave the seasoning but overuse will remove some of the loose oil trapped in the seasoning and "dry" it out similarly to what happens if you boil water in it or cook something too acidic. I agree that a wash with a mild soapy solution won't hurt anything, but getting carried away will remove your pans nonstick qualities until you fry in it enough to get your seasoning resoaked with oil.

I wash mine with hot water and a nylon brush and then lightly oil.

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    I use hot water as soon as I am done cooking in mine and use my spatula or a nylon Pampered Chef scraper that they sell with their cooking stones to loosen any cooked on food. Wipe it out with a paper towel or one of my cotton washcloths I crochet and it is ready to go.

If you like the pampered chef one, check out rural king. They have one that is about twice the size with a "lump" along one edge for use as a handle. IIRC they are well under a buck.

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    If you like the pampered chef one, check out rural king. They have one that is about twice the size with a "lump" along one edge for use as a handle. IIRC they are well under a buck.

I'll have to see if they have them at Big R or the local farm store. We don't have a Rural King near us.

laf

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Aug 21, 2011
    Lafayette
    I've had a chain mail scrubber for a couple months now. It's gentle enough on the seasoning that I use it when there's a burnt on egg or other protein that won't come off with normal soapy water. The nylon brush I used to use got nasty, the chain mail is easy to clean and you can't put too much pressure on it and peel off the seasoning. I hope you like yours as much as I enjoy mine.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    Jimb, that is a common misconception about cast iron. In the old days when soap was mostly lye, it was a different story. It could actually harm the seasoning. Modern soaps don't have the concentration of lye in them. If your seasoning is done correctly, washing in a mild soapy solution won't hurt anything. That said, I wouldn't soak them overnight or anything but you can wash them if you feel the need. I personally use water and paper towels and wipe them out. Spray a shot of PAM on them, wipe them down and they are ready for the next meal.

Any alkali will have that effect, and soaps are alkaline. Lye isn't the only basic solution.

The soap may not strip it down to bare metal, but it DOES undermine the seasoning. Seasoning is fat, polymerized and unpolymerized. Grease is fat. Removing grease via soap degreases the seasoning, which is something to avoid.

For most folks, the use of soap only has the effect of preventing better seasoning, not of stripping it clean.

bertnkristi

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 21, 2008
    Lebanon Indiana
    If you put it in your electric oven on self clean it will burn anyhing that is not supposed to be on there off. Even rust. Then season it again. It will be good as new.

AmmoManAaron

Master
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Feb 20, 2015
    I-get-around
    I just ordered a stainless chain mail scrubber from Amazon for cleaning my cast iron. I've heard good things about it, hopefully it works well.

I've had a chain mail scrubber for a couple months now. It's gentle enough on the seasoning that I use it when there's a burnt on egg or other protein that won't come off with normal soapy water. The nylon brush I used to use got nasty, the chain mail is easy to clean and you can't put too much pressure on it and peel off the seasoning. I hope you like yours as much as I enjoy mine.

My girlfriend wanted one of those chain mail scrubbers, so I bought her one for Christmas (along with several other gifts). She has used it several times and really likes it.

MC1983

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2014
    Indianapolis
    The chain mail scrubber works pretty good. I've used it a few times now and it quickly removes anythig that stuck to the pan. A quick dry and light coat of oil and the pan is ready for the next cook.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    If you put it in your electric oven on self clean it will burn anyhing that is not supposed to be on there off. Even rust. Then season it again. It will be good as new.

Don't do this. Does it work? Yes. Does it come with unnecessary risks, yes. Depending on the piece, it can crack or warp it. If you are cleaning off a new production Lodge Logic that can be replaced easily and cheaply, go for it. But if you are cleaning an heirloom handed down from your mama's mama or something like that, buy a can of yellow top Easy-Off brand oven cleaner, put it in a trash bag, spray liberally, tie up the bag, leave outside in the sun for 2 days, scrub and rinse off the crud, repeat if necessary. If it is rusty, you can soak it in a 50/50 mix of white vinegar and water for a couple hours and scrub the rust off. Then wash with cold water and Dawn soap and rinse really well. Rinse again 2 or 3 times. Then season. Does it seem like a lot of work? Yes. Can you protect a potentially priceless heirloom and keep it in your family for another 100 years of use? Yup.

Hohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jul 5, 2012
    USA
    The self cleaning cycle isn't that risky, IME. This is because is heats the piece evenly and not rapidly. Most used pieces have all the residual stresses relieved, so warpage is unlikely. New stuff is far more likely to have residual stresses still in the casting. Ideally, they'd be left to cool slowly in the mold, but we know that doesn't happen.

That said, it is riskier than chemistry, so you might want to stick with chemicals for extra special pieces.

SmileDocHill

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    61   0   0
    Mar 26, 2009
    Westfield
    I said a while back I'd post pics of stacking these up. I've not had the chance to take good pics of the process in full swing but these show a much smaller production in action. The scouts and mostly the parents, have it down to a science. They have the charcoal starter chimneys going and know how many burning briquettes (sp?) to put on bottom and top and for how long to cook each different dish.

As I look at these it looks like these were taken when we ran out of liners and used foil. With the scouts and parents cleaning these after each camp out you cannot count on them being seasoned very well. :)

Meena

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 18, 2013
    Central IN
    I said a while back I'd post pics of stacking these up. I've not had the chance to take good pics of the process in full swing but these show a much smaller production in action. The scouts and mostly the parents, have it down to a science. They have the charcoal starter chimneys going and know how many burning briquettes (sp?) to put on bottom and top and for how long to cook each different dish.

As I look at these it looks like these were taken when we ran out of liners and used foil. With the scouts and parents cleaning these after each camp out you cannot count on them being seasoned very well. :)

Not sure what is in that pot but it sure looks good!

pitbulld45

Follower of I AM
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Dec 27, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I am a cast iron addict and cant beleive I havent contributed to this thread yet. Below is a picture of a BSR Sportsman grille from the 1930's and to its right a modern Lodge Sportsman grille. We get a lot of use from them.
    IMG_20160630_193535.jpg

Top Bottom