Carrying while running, cycling or just general outdoor exercise.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Heed this warning. You want nothing rigid strapped to your body while riding. It's just asking for a serious injury. I know... I've got the titanium to prove it. A belly band type holster would be about the only on the body way I would carry on a bicycle. You carry on your hip, be ready for some really big orthopedic bills. Your chance of crashing and having bone damage from landing on your iron is a whole lot greater than being in a situation that requires you to draw.

Carrying on a bike is one of two things. Transporting it from one place to another, or for defense. If it's in your hydro pack or tail-bag, you're just transporting it. You'd never have time to get to it. For defensive situations, it needs to be accessible. A holster mounted to the frame, usually near the head tube, is the best option. Mechanical retention is a must here as well.

KittySlayer

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 29, 2013
    Northeast IN
    Biking

For biking I carry a Keltec P3AT in my back, middle jersey pocket inside a Lowepro neoprene camera case. My bike jerseys fit tightly enough that it does not move around. The middle pocket distributes the weight well. The case keeps it from printing, protects the gun from sweat and keeps it securely in my pocket until I want it.

The Keltec is lighter than my Sig so it works well when riding. It is not a quick draw but I am not going to be pulling my gun cowboy style while riding along at 20mph shooting rattlesnakes on the fly. On my body means if I stop somewhere the gun stays with me and I don't need to remove it from a bag on the bike. Many of the folks I ride with would go into a panic if they knew a gun was in their presence and I enjoy riding with them so not ready for the OC debate. I have ridden in some very tight pacelines and no one knew I was carrying.

For a case go to Best Buy and shop around, look in the camera section, the gaming section and the GPS section for a case that works well with your gun.

9773776_ra.jpg;canvasHeight=500;canvasWidth=500

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Heed this warning. You want nothing rigid strapped to your body while riding. It's just asking for a serious injury. I know... I've got the titanium to prove it. A belly band type holster would be about the only on the body way I would carry on a bicycle. You carry on your hip, be ready for some really big orthopedic bills. Your chance of crashing and having bone damage from landing on your iron is a whole lot greater than being in a situation that requires you to draw.

Carrying on a bike is one of two things. Transporting it from one place to another, or for defense. If it's in your hydro pack or tail-bag, you're just transporting it. You'd never have time to get to it. For defensive situations, it needs to be accessible. A holster mounted to the frame, usually near the head tube, is the best option. Mechanical retention is a must here as well.

Darn it. Just when I thought it had a good system figured out too! Thanks (I think :ingo: ).

CMac

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 28, 2013
    B-town
    I used a SmartCarry for a S&W 638 for several years. I now have one for my G26. Just used it yesterday at the gym. I find it very comfortable and easy to conceal. Only problem is the draw and practice makes this a non-issue.

CitiusFortius

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    NWI
    For awhile I made a "custom" calf holster out of neoprene from an old wetsuit, it worked pretty good. I kind of stopped using it though and now I just a carry a knife IWB. My biggest fear is dogs since I've crossed a few strays over the years while running. I need to find a better method or buy a smaller gun because I do run 25-30 miles per week and just bought a slick new road bike.

Top Bottom