• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Is there anything in the new laws taking effect today that prevent carrying to a prison?

OK, let's get the obvious out of the way first: no, I'm not asking if I can carry while incarcerated! I know that concealed means concealed but I don't want to think about how I would have to conceal in that scenario....

A couple years ago I took a group of Cub Scouts to visit the Hendricks County Jail. They had fun making a mess in the breakroom with fingerprinting materials and watching a taser demonstration (though they kept "volunteering" me as a test subject...thankfully the deputy didn't take them up on that).

I did not carry to the prison because I wasn't sure what to expect. On the way in, the deputy asked if anyone was carrying. He said it was no problem if you were, you would just have to lock up your weapon before going past the first security checkpoint. He started to demonstrate by putting his weapon in a locker but my 9-year old son made him stop. He proceeded to point out the parts of the pistol and how they worked to the other Scouts. I was proud of him but got some fun looks from the sheep-parents in the group!

Anyway, at the time it certainly appeared legal to carry there as long as you locked it up. I was just listening to news reports about the carry-to-work legislation, though, and they listed a number of places you were not allowed to carry, including "schools, courtrooms, and prisons."

Did I miss something, or was it (as usual) just sloppy reporting? :dunno:

Last edited:

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Every jail is different. Some have checked me when I went there and others have waived me right on in without a search. Every prison that I have been to thoroughly searched me for weapons before letting me inside.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Every jail is different. Some have checked me when I went there and others have waived me right on in without a search. Every prison that I have been to thoroughly searched me for weapons before letting me inside.

I have to admit I wasn't being careful with the distinction between jails and prisons. I've never visited a prison.

My initial reaction to your post was "well of course prisons are more strict." But then as I thought about it I wondered if that really makes sense. County lock-ups are often the last step before someone goes to prison. If you combine the desperation that situation causes with the possibility of someone smuggling in a weapon...yikes. I'm certainly no expert on the subject, but maybe jails should step things up?

ihateiraq

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 25, 2009
    Upinya
    not sure about visitors, but to take my gun to work i have to get authorization from the superintendent. which apparently doesnt happen unless youre a reserve police officer. even though every inmate in the prison knows my schedule and exactly what dates and times ill be out in the parking lot. and its in the crappiest neighborhood in michigan city to begin with.

eta: i work at the state prison.

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    not sure about visitors, but to take my gun to work i have to get authorization from the superintendent. which apparently doesnt happen unless youre a reserve police officer. even though every inmate in the prison knows my schedule and exactly what dates and times ill be out in the parking lot. and its in the crappiest neighborhood in michigan city to begin with.

That would make me nervous!

Is that how things have always been, or is this a new policy based on the new law?

absrio

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    May 15, 2008
    Howard County
    Almost every facility will have a no weapons policy. Doesn't matter who you are from the Sheriff down. Only under certain circumstances would weapons be allowed in (and this would be extremely rare.)

As far as security between jails and prisons it comes down to each individual facility. Some are inherently more secure than others just by old design and new design.

PatriotPride

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 18, 2010
    Valley Forge, PA
    Porter County Jail has secure lock-boxes for firearms when going beyond the outer areas and into the secure interior areas with prisoners. Does anyone know their policy regarding employees having firearms in their vehicles?

DHolder

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Mooresville - MSG2 Hub
    They should be able to secure your gun in the guard house at the sallyport. They have lockers there, much like the jail, last time I went in, we were not allowed to take anything in.

Fargo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 11, 2009
    In a state of acute Pork-i-docis
    There is a statute on carrying into a correctional facility. I will look it up but as I recall it is bad news. I would never ever try to carry even into the lobby of any jail/prison.

ETA: I found it:
    IC 35-44-3-9
    Trafficking with an inmate or child
    Sec. 9. (a) As used in this section, "juvenile facility" means the following:
    (1) A secure facility (as defined in IC 31-9-2-114) in which a child is detained under IC 31 or used for a child awaiting adjudication or adjudicated under IC 31 as a child in need of services or a delinquent child.
    (2) A shelter care facility (as defined in IC 31-9-2-117) in which a child is detained under IC 31 or used for a child awaiting adjudication or adjudicated under IC 31 as a child in need of services or a delinquent child.
    (b) Except as provided in subsection (d), a person who, without the prior authorization of the person in charge of a penal facility or juvenile facility knowingly or intentionally:
    (1) delivers, or carries into the penal facility or juvenile facility with intent to deliver, an article to an inmate or child of the facility;
    (2) carries, or receives with intent to carry out of the penal facility or juvenile facility, an article from an inmate or child of the facility;
    (3) delivers, or carries to a worksite with the intent to deliver, alcoholic beverages to an inmate or child of a jail work crew or community work crew; or
    (4) possesses in or carries into a penal facility or a juvenile facility:
    (A) a controlled substance; or
    (B) a deadly weapon;
    commits trafficking with an inmate, a Class A misdemeanor.

(c) If the person who committed the offense under subsection (b) is an employee of:
    (1) the department of correction; or
    (2) a penal facility;
    and the article is a cigarette or tobacco product (as defined in IC 6-7-2-5), the court shall impose a mandatory five thousand dollar ($5,000) fine under IC 35-50-3-2, in addition to any term of imprisonment imposed under IC 35-50-3-2.
    (d) The offense under subsection (b) is a Class C felony if the article is:
    (1) a controlled substance;
    (2) a deadly weapon; or
    (3) a cellular telephone or other wireless or cellular communications device.

As added by Acts 1976, P.L.148, SEC.4. Amended by Acts 1977, P.L.340, SEC.67; Acts 1981, P.L.300, SEC.2; P.L.223-1996, SEC.1; P.L.183-1999, SEC.2; P.L.243-1999, SEC.2; P.L.30-2004, SEC.1; P.L.128-2009, SEC.2.
    Best,

Joe

Last edited:

DemolitionMan

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 8, 2009
    Avon, IN
    Thanks Fargo. This must be what the reporter was talking about, so this is not a new regulation.

I can understand your caution, but it sounds like you just have to know what the policy is at the facility you intend to visit. I'm sure that if I had been carrying at Hendricks County I would have had no problems with the deputy as long as I put it in one of the lockers before going into the secure area. Some of the Scout parents, though, would still be talking about it!

Top Bottom