• ...and so much more!
  • Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    I'm taking the family to the creation museum in KY.over spring break. I've read both Ohio and KY. Carry laws and still am a little sketchy about it. This will be my first time carrying out of state and I've imagined everything from the electric chair to life in prison and never being allowed to own a firearm again. I shouldn't even have to worry about it because of the 2A should provide for me being able to defend myself wherever I go but that is probably another discussion. My question is when you guys carried across state lines the first time was there this looming sense of apprehension or am I overthinking things again as usual?

Frosty

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jan 27, 2013
    Greencastle
    I went to Michigan to visit inlaws, I wasn't overly concerned with it, I know the only difference is in Michigan I have to inform. what's to worry about if you know the laws considering where and how you can carry? When in doubt, leave it in the car.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    I am visiting my folks in the Detroit area, cc as normal, don't give it a thought.
    As mentioned have to remember to inform LE up here if necessary.
    Just carry and follow the rules and you will be OK.

Mr. Habib

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 4, 2009
    Somewhere else
    Nothing to get too worried about. I've carried in eight states besides Indiana, it quickly becomes second nature just like carrying here. Just make sure that you're familiar with their laws be for you go. Here is a good resource to help with that. Handgunlaw.us

Compatriot G

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2010
    New Castle
    I've been to the Creation Museum three times. I've carried every time I went. I believe they have a sign on the door about no firearms, though. However, Kentucky is like Indiana in that signs don't carry the weight of law.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    Thanks for the advice and vote of confidence. I've read through USA carry and the state websites but for some reason I feel like I'm breaking the law like some sort of drug mile or something. I carry everyday here comfortably but the the thought should I have LEO interaction at some point and missed some obscure law terrifies me. Granted I got a ticket 32 years ago for speeding and a warning for a headlight out 4 years ago is my only issue with LEO but I have the worst luck in the world and am hoping to tip the odds in my favor. I won't " leave home without it" but the feeling like I'm doing something wrong is still there. I guess I'll pull up my skirt and go about life as usual. Thanks again guys!

CZB1962

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 10, 2013
    Newburgh
    Since I live on the border I carry in KY all the time. The only thing that is different from Indiana is that you are expressly forbidden to carry in an establishment or portion of an an establishment which purpose is mainly to serve alcohol. In other words no bars or bar area of a restaurant. Having said that we walked to 4th street live in Louisville and there was no way I was not going to be packing. (edit for spelling)

SkinNFluff

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 3, 2013
    Mauckport, Indiana
    I am also on the border of Ky and never once had any issues CC or OC over there. I get a lot less looks when I OC in Ky than I do here in In. OC is legal without a permit/license in Ky so law enforcement will doubtfully take the time to give you a second glance.

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    Since I live on the border I carry in KY all the time. The only thing that is different from Indiana is that you are expressly forbidden to carry in an establishment or portion of an an establishment which purpose is mainly to serve alcohol. In other words no bars or bar area of a restaurant. Having said that we walked to 4th street live in Louisville and there was no way I was not going to be packing. (edit for spelling)

This is really the only thing you'll have to worry about in KY.

Can't legally carry into bars...or bar areas of general restaurants. Applebee's = good; bar area of Applebee's = bad.

seedubs1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 17, 2013
    1) Is there reciprocity
    2) Is there "duty to inform"
    3) Do "no guns" signs carry weight of law
    4) Is the state "stand your ground" or "duty to retreat"
    5) Are they CC or OC only (and if CC only, is it illegal if you're caught with it uncovered)
    6) Are there any limits on magazine capacity or any other stupid laws that limit what I can carry
    7) Can I carry in bars, and can I carry if my BAC is above 0

Those are the key things I look up before traveling to another state.

Cynical

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Nov 21, 2013
    peru
    1) Is there reciprocity
    2) Is there "duty to inform"
    3) Do "no guns" signs carry weight of law
    4) Is the state "stand your ground" or "duty to retreat"
    5) Are they CC or OC only (and if CC only, is it illegal if you're caught with it uncovered)
    6) Are there any limits on magazine capacity or any other stupid laws that limit what I can carry
    7) Can I carry in bars, and can I carry if my BAC is above 0

Those are the key things I look up before traveling to another state.
    Don't recall reading anything about stand your ground, but it's a great thought. BAC is a non issue for me but was a little hesitant about the bar issue in someplace like Applebee's and such. Had that explained in few earlier posts. Will have to check on mag capacity as well.

MontereyC6

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 16, 2008
    Greenwood
    I've been on vacation all week, currently sitting here looking at the Gulf of Mexico in Alabama with a M&P compact on my hip. It's been on me the entire trip, including a day trip over to New Orleans, the French Quarter and Bourbon Street. Research the laws of where you are going and follow them. Easy!

DN40SW

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 27, 2016
    Avon
    Were planning on carrying to the NRA Annual Meeting. Good to go?? I guess I'll have to research the Expo Center Policy

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    Kentucky is rated a Gold Star open carry state by OpenCarry.org. A permit is not required for open carry in KY, permit is only required for concealed carry in KY.

My experience in traveling to KY is that your biggest concern is the last 11 miles on I-65 in Indiana north of the Ohio River. Last 11 miles is a 55 mph zone and the ISP strictly enforces the speed limit. :)

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle
    Are you fairly new to carrying? The first time I carried out of state I had already been carrying in Indiana for several years. As a result, it was no different to me than when I carry on my home turf. I won't go so far as to say that you are overthinking it. However, once you do it, you will probably come home wondering what the big deal was.(Hopefully)

I'm taking the family to the creation museum in KY.over spring break. I've read both Ohio and KY. Carry laws and still am a little sketchy about it. This will be my first time carrying out of state and I've imagined everything from the electric chair to life in prison and never being allowed to own a firearm again. I shouldn't even have to worry about it because of the 2A should provide for me being able to defend myself wherever I go but that is probably another discussion. My question is when you guys carried across state lines the first time was there this looming sense of apprehension or am I overthinking things again as usual?

KG1

Forgotten Man
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    66   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    It's a damn shame that someone with lawful intentions has to feel terrified to engage in a Constitutional right.

Top Bottom