• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Since reading a few of the other threads on these boards and reading the IC statutes on it. I'm thinking its legal for teachers to carry, and chaperones on field trips. I'm sure the cops and the courts would not agree but from how the law is worded IMHO it does allow it.

IC 35-47-9-1
    Exemptions from chapter
    (2) A person who has been employed or authorized by:
    (A) a school; or
    (B) another person who owns or operates property being used by a school for a school function;
    to act as a security guard, perform or participate in a school function, or participate in any other activity authorized by a school.

A teacher is employed to participate in a school function ie teaching. And when I chaperone my kids field trips I'm authorized to participate in the activity. IANAL but that is how it reads. Am I right or am I :nuts:

Last edited:
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    May 19, 2008
    Indian-noplace
    This is a very touchy subject such as the Post Office subject.

The law states for the post office that you are there on official business, you may carry. Well I'm mailing a letter am I not?

Until some one fights the courts and wins - so that the rest of us have a precursor - you'll have to know that carrying inside a school is a no no.

Just my $.02

Timjoebillybob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Feb 27, 2009
    Timjoe,

Sure I guess so, so long as you get authorized to LTCH on school grounds or during the school event in advance by the schools principle (or someone else with that sort of authority).

Except it doesn't state authorized to carry, it just says authorized to perform or participate. My opinion on this is that it was intended to allow firearms or replicas to be used for plays and ROTC type activities, but it doesn't actually specify that.

Until some one fights the courts and wins - so that the rest of us have a precursor - you'll have to know that carrying inside a school is a no no.

Yep. And I'm not sufficiently wealthy (or ballsy) enough to want to be the test case.-J-

Agree with both. As I said in the OP I'm sure the cops and courts would disagree with me but that is what the law says.

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I dunno. It's like we have someone on our side making the laws and writing in little stuff like "No carrying handguns at school or in a post office EVER except for lawful purposes." Keep the anti's happy, but their poor reading comprehension skills let us do what we want.

inxs

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 27, 2008
    What it say should be right, but you're betting heavy. The local school superintendent got deputized when he was shot at in his home so he could carry on school grounds.

Top Bottom