• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    So no CC in Chicago? I have read NRA and a couple of other sites that confirm that? I am LEO, but wondered if my spouse could carry I guess. 2 guns are better than one...:rockwoot:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    LEO only can carry in Chicago (under federal LEO reciprocity) and even then the locals police will give you grief. The whole city is anti-gun and it resides in an anti-gun county.

The state is actually pretty pro-gun outside of the Chicago region but there is no civilian carry in the state of Illinois unless the gun is carried in a VERY SPECIFIC way, unloaded, encased, etc. Even then people have been arrested (but then later found innocent in court).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Where are you going in Chicago?

A couple of places you have to check it, but otherwise you have the run of the city.

Be advised there have been prosecutions of police officers for carrying guns in other states. However, to my knowledge, these prosecutions have been in New York and California. I am unaware of LEOs from outside of Illinois being arrested and prosecuted in Cook County for the mere act of carrying a handgun.

Last edited:

A. Ramon

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Nov 10, 2008
    NE Indiana
    Have fun.

If you need recommendations for anything in Hyde Park or Gold Coast (book stores, restaurants, etc.), let me know.

Can you recommend a good/great Italian restaurant? My wife LOVES Italian food. We'll be getting into Chicago Friday night and be hitting up Gino's for pizza right off the bat, but need a place for Sat night. She likes Gino's, I like Lou's, but we hit up Lou's the last time.

You could always carry a BUG....? ;)

Blessings,
    Bill

Good point! 2 is better then 1...:draw:

mbaza3

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Nov 21, 2009
    Arizona
    Unfortunately, I work in Chicago so my baby stays home when I go to work. I have thought about locking it up at the IN/IL border on my way to work and then unpacking it when I cross back into IN but that may be a little over the top. The IL police are not very gun friendly so to be safe keep it unloaded and locked in the trunk to prevent any hassles.

As far as food goes I enjoy Lou's more than Gino's East. To be honest the best place for Stuffed Pizza in Illinois is a small carry called Arrenello's in Glenwood. It is a few miles south of 80/94 on 394. For Italian in Chicago you can go to the popular tourist places Maggiano's or Rosebud downtown. If you prefer a small family owned type place check out Tufano's by the UIC Campus.

Last edited:

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    For pizza I like Giordano's, usually the one in Hyde Park.

For Italian, try LaScarola (hey, if you want the real deal might as well go all the way). A buddy of mine likes 312 Chicago as his office is near there (looks too corporate for me).

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Cook Co, Doesn't even like LEO's to carry there!! Like was said in another post they will give you grief!!

Is this gun shop rumor mill or have there been actual incidents?

I know cops have been arrested in California, New York and even South Dakota (Sturgis) but am not aware of any problems in Chicago.*

*I do know that CPD dragged heavy feet on qualifying its retired coppers so the retired officers could carry on §926.

jetmechG550

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 4, 2011
    *I do know that CPD dragged heavy feet on qualifying its retired coppers so the retired officers could carry on §926.

Where do you know this from? Only ask because my father is retired CPD (11 years) and still lives there. I have never heard him state anything of that sort for retirees nor has there ever been an issue with any outside LEO I know carrying there.

Perhaps if there were some instances of LEO's catching grief over carrying in Chicago it was their attitude when approached. There's some serious attitudes around here, especially with these small town departments.

Top Bottom