• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • fochman

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 2, 2011
    Being a former banker, banks do post no firearm signs and ask that customers do not carry guns into the bank. These signs are usually posted on the doors leading into the lobby. The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber. The last bank that I worked at had such signs that also told customers to remove sunglasses and sweatshirt hoods when entering the lobby. The pretense is to help the bank's staff identify its customers. The real reason is to help the bank's staff identify suspicious people. Each bank decides what its firearm policy is. Most do not allow carry of any sort. Perhaps you missed the posted sign, or if not, the bank needs to post the appropriate signage.

SteveM4A1

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 3, 2013
    Rockport
    Being a former banker, banks do post no firearm signs and ask that customers do not carry guns into the bank. These signs are usually posted on the doors leading into the lobby. The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber. The last bank that I worked at had such signs that also told customers to remove sunglasses and sweatshirt hoods when entering the lobby. The pretense is to help the bank's staff identify its customers. The real reason is to help the bank's staff identify suspicious people. Each bank decides what its firearm policy is. Most do not allow carry of any sort. Perhaps you missed the posted sign, or if not, the bank needs to post the appropriate signage.
    :dunno:

Dead Duck

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 1, 2011
    OC in your bank.
    When there are anti-carry signs, OC in your bank.
    When you see metal detectors, OC in your bank.
    When the employees start harassing you, OC in your bank.

You see, Your bank does not have to be This bank.
    Your bank welcomes Open Carrying Customers. :draw:

GFZ don't work at gas stations, convenient stores, schools, military bases, malls, bars or banks. Never will.
    Bad guys will be bad guys and the ignorant will be victims.

Refuse to be a victim - change your bank. Not your carry habits.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Welcome to the bank that treats customers like bank robbers.

Sirindu

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 4, 2014
    Indianapolis
    Now that you've checked, go back to the bank tomorrow and tell us what happens...

Probably won't be going to the bank again until next week at the earliest. Like I was explaining in my last post, haha, I do value these opportunities but I'm not going out of my way looking for them either--they don't exactly occupy top priority in my life. ;) With that said, I will certainly let you guys know what I discover when I do!

My old boss at the gun store took large amounts of cash to the bank regularly. The folks at the bank basically told her not to bring that money unarmed.

Haha, I wish I could say that was my reason but unfortunately, no. xD

Being a former banker, banks do post no firearm signs and ask that customers do not carry guns into the bank. These signs are usually posted on the doors leading into the lobby. ... The last bank that I worked at had such signs that also told customers to remove sunglasses and sweatshirt hoods when entering the lobby.

Yep, I checked the signage first and they just had the typical "no hats, no sunglasses" sign up. Nothing more.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    What a sad state we live in. I'm wondering, is anyone who has a pen and paper (you know, for a demand note) also a potential robber? There are more robberies by UNARMED people (with only a demand note), then ARMED people (guns, knives, bats, bombs, etc....).

Want to identify the suspicious person? Look for the one that has a weapon IN THEIR HAND. Not the one with it safely holstered.

brotherbill3

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 10, 2010
    Hamilton Co.
    I read an artilce or post somewhere (not here IIRC) about bank tellers during or right after WWII ... from New York (state) ...
    The bank executive TRAINED and ARMED all the female tellers ... and they OC'd - on the job. to thwart robberies.
    All the women folk supported it too.

No idea where I saw it though. ... I like this idea: rob us and die at the exit. ... if I get time and find it again ... I need to share it

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville

Most banks??????
    I might agree with "most banks in Indy" or something to that effect.
    In several decades, I have NOT seen a bank with a no guns sign.
    Might be a couple in Gary, haven't been to one of theirs. Though I'm pretty sure a lot of people do carry into those.

Why would business people depositing thousands of dollars want to go unarmed?

pig957

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 28, 2009
    Under an oppressive government
    themselves.

When I came back in we struck up a conversation about our handguns and he said that when he was issued his carry permit (he very rightly did not say "concealed carry permit"! ;) ) that he was given a list of places he could not legally carry and that banks were one such place. Everyone was extremely polite throughout, including the teller chatting with me about guns as well......

Where did he get his "carry permit " ? I was issused my LTCH in the 80's and I was never given any such info.

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    The reasoning is, anyone bringing a firearm into the bank is a potential bank robber.

Let's take that one step further... Why not post "No Bank-Robbing Permitted" signs, that way, potential robbers would know to avoid such behavior :dunno:

See how silly that sounds?

dyerwatcher

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Aug 7, 2009
    Colorado
    Better yet, maybe robbing a bank should be a felony...... Wait.....never mind

Collin

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 9, 2013
    Greenwood, IN
    I work in a bank. Frankly, I understand how visible guns make employees a little uneasy. I've been involved in a number of robberies, and it's a serious matter that my employees are aware of folks (and firearms) inside our workplace. That said, he's not correct with the law. I've explained to my teams that open carry shouldn't be alarming. Usually bad guys will be holding or concealing (or pretending...).

As an added thought, how do you guys feel about the bank not allowing employees to be armed? I have mixed feelings, but I'm trained. I certainly wouldn't want a jackass co-worker escalating a confrontation.

STEEL CORE

Master
    Rating - 100%
    92   0   0
    Oct 29, 2008
    Fishers
    Think about it, I know you have the right, I too carry at the bank, however, CC is my modis operendi, I understand the situation, I dont wear a hoodie, ski mask, and gloves into the Bank either. I don't smoke when filling up my car, I look both ways crossing a street, I don't have too but I do. Common sense dictates a lot of what we do as American citizens. Be careful out there.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    What does common sense have to do with OCing in a bank?
    If they worry about being robbed because they SEE my gun, then they should worry about being hit by a car because someone drives a car.

level0

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 13, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I work in a bank. Frankly, I understand how visible guns make employees a little uneasy. I've been involved in a number of robberies, and it's a serious matter that my employees are aware of folks (and firearms) inside our workplace. That said, he's not correct with the law. I've explained to my teams that open carry shouldn't be alarming. Usually bad guys will be holding or concealing (or pretending...).

As an added thought, how do you guys feel about the bank not allowing employees to be armed? I have mixed feelings, but I'm trained. I certainly wouldn't want a jackass co-worker escalating a confrontation.
    I wish everyone in my bank carried, that would make me feel better :)

Top Bottom