Carrying at church with know felon in attendance.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    Wanted to get some thoughts on a couple of situations concerning attending a congregation with a known felon. An individual that was convicted of a violent felony just got out of prison and is now attending. My wife and I and multiple others carry during services.

Now I would assume that carrying during services would be like any other public group I could be in. If I show up at McDonald's and their is a felon there neither one of us is really creating an issue for the other. But what if one of us chooses to attend a get together/bible study etc. at someone's house, carry in, etc. and the felon is there too? Could this become an issue for the felon? A few of us do OC at church so yes he is and would be aware that their are guns in the building.

Thoughts?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    tagging for an answer and adding my :twocents:

IANAL but I cant imagine you going where you are allowed to go would cause problems for you. (unless you choose to remove your sidearm and place it where the felon could access it, such as during a basketball game in the gym for instance)

Now I could see how it could cause problems for the felon. After all, if a kiddie diddler has to stay away from kids, I could see how a felon could be required to steer clear of weapons.

I would hope that maintaining positive control of your weapon would be enough to negate any issues for everyone.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have yet to hear of any law that would cause a problem here. Felons (convicted, not yet convicted, and future) are the reason you are carrying. Carrying in their presence is quite different from making a firearm available for them to use, such as if you lived in the same house and they could get to them or you gave/sold them one. Obviously, meeting at schools or other restricted places is a different situation.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    Yeah, I think as long as you're not providing them access to the weapons, you're good to go. I don't think you're placing yourself in legal jeopardy by exercising your rights and happen to be in the same building and residence of the felon. But I'll defer to real lawyers that may also respond as this is just my lay-person's understanding of the law.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    You're overthinking this.

We've a felon in our Sunday School class, no one cares about this. Actually, his wife has a pretty sweet XD(m).

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    Of course, the FELON may have parole requirements the stipulate that HE cannot be within X feet of a firearm, in the same room/building, etc... Not YOUR problem, though.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    You're overthinking this.

We've a felon in our Sunday School class, no one cares about this. Actually, his wife has a pretty sweet XD(m).

Really? I've heard that wouldnt be legal if he and his wife lived together. I've seen several reports of spouses forced to get rid of their guns because the other was convicted, as well as felons unable to live in a home that had them, even if they were locked up.

Or did you forget the purple?

chipbennett

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 18, 2014
    Avon
    Really? I've heard that wouldnt be legal if he and his wife lived together. I've seen several reports of spouses forced to get rid of their guns because the other was convicted, as well as felons unable to live in a home that had them, even if they were locked up.

What do common Sunday School class/church attenders have to do with spouses living together, in terms of the legality of possessing a firearm in the presence of a felon?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    What do common Sunday School class/church attenders have to do with spouses living together, in terms of the legality of possessing a firearm in the presence of a felon?

Off on a tangent, as usual for INGO. I'm just pointing out the oddity of Jettaknight's statement. On the surface, it doesnt seem legal at home for the wife to own a gun if her husband is a felon based on prior discussions here.

possum_128

Master
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Martinsville area
    Just because a spouse is a felon does not mean the other spouse has to give up their right to keep and bear arms in their home. I know of at least 2 felons who live in homes with firearms. I know of not such law but if one does exist, please someone show a link to the law.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne

I never forget purple.

There's probably some grey area here. The guy's a upstanding member of the community, as is his wife. He copped to a felony to avoid jail time (bad lawyer, IMHO) some twenty years ago.

Sometimes, INGO can get a little worked up over laws.

BFP

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 14, 2014
    Seymour
    Wanted to get some thoughts on a couple of situations concerning attending a congregation with a known felon. An individual that was convicted of a violent felony just got out of prison and is now attending. My wife and I and multiple others carry during services.

Now I would assume that carrying during services would be like any other public group I could be in. If I show up at McDonald's and their is a felon there neither one of us is really creating an issue for the other. But what if one of us chooses to attend a get together/bible study etc. at someone's house, carry in, etc. and the felon is there too? Could this become an issue for the felon? A few of us do OC at church so yes he is and would be aware that their are guns in the building.

Thoughts?
    Is the felon a five year old?

Top Bottom