• ...and so much more!
  • Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    S&W 38 spl

In the Summer months I usualy carry a S&W 637 38 spl in a Don Hume IWB Holster I carry 5 extra rds in a Bianchi Speed Strip in My pocket
    Sometimes I carry a Kimber Ultra Carry 45 acp in a High Noon Belt Holster or a Don Hume IWB and an extra Mag in a Galco single mag paddle mag carrier

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    I'm a relatively skinny guy (5'9", 170lbs), which doesn't help any.

You've got about 25 lbs on me, I'm new to cc and still trying to find the right gun/ holster combo, nice to know I'm not the only one who is struggling with this. On other forums most responses are..

"I carry a full size 1911 or glock or whatever and you should be able to conceal anything!"

Good to see (once again) that some fellow hoosiers have great opinions and suggestions to help out!!

-K

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    You've got about 25 lbs on me, I'm new to cc and still trying to find the right gun/ holster combo, nice to know I'm not the only one who is struggling with this.

You may find that you need 2 or 3 different holsters for different types of carry with different clothes. If you wear a Hawaiian or club shirt you can easily wear OWB holster and drape your shirt over it, but if you are in a job where you have a shirt tucked in then you need an IWB holster that tucks the gun down below your belt level. On the other hand a shirt worn outside your pants, if it is not as long as Hawaiian or club shirt, can use an IWB holster that holds the butt of the gun above your belt. I have 2 OWB and 2 IWB holsters for my 45s and am willing to try more to aid in easy of carry.

GJ1981

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    What do you guys carry in the summer? oh yea, for conceal carry that is
    I will carry my Sig 220 or Glock 21 at times, their size make it difficult though. If I don't carry one of those two I'll carry my Glock 23 and/or one of these

1zldp52.jpg

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    I'm Bass Acwkards and usually have shorts on in the fall and winter, and jeans on in the spring and summer. When I carry though, I generally have jeans or slacks on... I don't own tennis shoes, and haven't in over a decade... I wear boots or sandals... so that keeps me in pants too.

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    I'd like to see (in detail) how people CC. I just cannot do it comfortably in the summertime even with a relatively small gun (like my PF9) IWB. If I don't have cloth between my skin and the holster (like a tucked shirt), I get jabbed and chafed like crazy, and in the summer it's too hot to wear two shirts. I bought a soft suede IWB holster for my PF9 that has a bit that comes up to the edge of the rear of the slide, which helps a little. It at least keeps the metal off my kidney. Then I can wear an untucked t-shirt over that.

At least in cooler weather, I can use a paddle holster and throw a shirt or coat over it, but even then anything larger than my XDsc prints like crazy. I'm a relatively skinny guy (5'9", 170lbs), which doesn't help any.
    Here are some pictures I took. I tried to get different angles so you could get a better idea. I'm not too much bigger than you. Around 5'10/11", about 175-180. This is with shorts, and a undershirt type shirt. When I wear pants, it's not really any different. This is the same way I carry, year-round.

The only thing I don't like about these pictures is that the flaps on the pockets made the shirt sit a little weird.
    l_1126382e5fc4406abcbec75c26158312.jpg

l_047fdb022212e77e25ceb265580d8b50.jpg

l_b8aa64feb88878401de20eae1f24fb64.jpg

l_4669334c24025336ab8a12d1e7ed8ea3.jpg

l_993ee04ae669ca25360bce9f16562279.jpg

l_219d03b93f9093955d4dc2382132c66a.jpg

younggun21

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 26, 2008
    Ri22o,

There is generally a lot of discouragement about small-of-the-back carry for various reasons. One being if you fall and land on you gun you could easily mess your back up bad. Also with the gun behind you reaching for it is a slower and more deliberate process allowing someone to interfere or even take the gun. The third issue I am aware of is sitting or riding in the car makes the gun hard to access as well as it may make it visible or poke out if sitting on a bench etc.

Not saying what you are doing is wrong, just a heads up if you haven't heard.

-K

Ri22o

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 7, 2008
    Speedway
    Ri22o,

There is generally a lot of discouragement about small-of-the-back carry for various reasons. One being if you fall and land on you gun you could easily mess your back up bad. Also with the gun behind you reaching for it is a slower and more deliberate process allowing someone to interfere or even take the gun. The third issue I am aware of is sitting or riding in the car makes the gun hard to access as well as it may make it visible or poke out if sitting on a bench etc.

Not saying what you are doing is wrong, just a heads up if you haven't heard.

-K
    All of that I have taken into consideration. However, for me it is easier to conceal with a small of the back, as opposed to a side carry.

WHITE_WOLFE

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Greenfield
    I guess I am lucky. I have broad shoulders and my shirt hangs just right. I can carry a Kimber 45 in a Blackhawk Serpa and it doesnt show. I generally carry the serpa when I am wearing shorts.

Today I am using my home made IWB holster.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Here are some pictures I took. I tried to get different angles so you could get a better idea.

You do look like you have the same build. Thanks for the pics, that helps quite a bit. I would prefer not to SOB carry for the reasons already stated, though. I actually like over the wallet (or near the wallet) so if I get mugged, the motion of reaching for the wallet is the same as reaching for the gun. I do find that if I'm seated in a vehicle, however, it's uncomfortable to sit in a bucket seat and it makes it extremely difficult to draw. Moving the placement away from the wallet and towards the side (3:00) helps. I've actually also contemplated mounting a cheap kydex on the side of my car's console or something.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    That's the plan with my car, since the seats are very unforgiving, even with just a wallet.

I've taken to thinning out my wallet as much as possible for the same reason. I realized a thick wallet was starting to cause back problems for me. Unfortunately, I do a lot of driving, so it's a big concern if I can't sit comfortably for hours at a time.

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Scutter -

I got to looking back at your original post and had one idea.

What about inside-the-waistband appendix carry? That usually works for you "skinny" guys. And with a small weapon like a PF9, it might even work while driving. Any other "skinny" guys care to comment?

Appendix carry:
    ehudappendix2.jpg

And Comp-Tac makes a nice one for your PF9.

Comp-Tac 2 O'Clock
    TwoOClock.JPG

Comp-Tac : Products

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    Scutter -

I got to looking back at your original post and had one idea.

What about inside-the-waistband appendix carry? That usually works for you "skinny" guys. And with a small weapon like a PF9, it might even work while driving. Any other "skinny" guys care to comment?

A

And Comp-Tac makes a nice one for your PF9.

Comp-Tac 2 O'Clock

Comp-Tac : Products

Yeah, I've tried that with my soft suede holster and PF9 and it works pretty well. With the PF9, though, I don't really have a problem. It's small enough to carry comfortably pretty much anywhere, but I don't like relying on it as a primary.

I'd really prefer to carry my XD, ideally with the 16rd mag instead of the compact 10rd, and that's where my biggest problems concealing come from. I'm skinny enough that unless I'm wearing ridiculously oversized shirt, I print all over the place, especially with the extended mag and *really* especially when I sit down. I think I'm going to pick up a Minotaur, though, and try it out.

Hairy gut reference pic. Note the suede holster tab that comes up to the back of the slide between the slide and my stomach. That was key when buying the holster.
    29w0q5f.jpg

Top Bottom