• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Ok folks I’m needing some input, knowledge or guidance from an experienced carpenter. Our stair to the basement are steep because of low ceiling in the basement and not a lot of room for a long run. I measured the old steps and they were 7/7. I know the rule of thumb is 7/11 but that won’t fit in the area I have. Was wanting less steel angle and maybe put a set of winders in and turn the stairs for a couple more steps due to low ceilings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

jagee

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 19, 2013
    New Palestine
    Commercial construction steps have requirements: 4" min height, 7" max. Maybe go shorter...down to maybe 4 or 5" riser heights?

gassprint1

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 15, 2015
    NWI
    I have same setup in my house. Bottom line, you won't be able to because of clearances unless your an elf..lol...putting a turn in the steps and you create another head space issue. Something i looked into as an only possibility here was to add another 7" drop landing and then put stringers in, but then again, thats like the first step already, so that wouldn't work. I just live with what i got.

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    I have same setup in my house. Bottom line, you won't be able to because of clearances unless your an elf..lol...putting a turn in the steps and you create another head space issue. Something i looked into as an only possibility here was to add another 7" drop landing and then put stringers in, but then again, thats like the first step already, so that wouldn't work. I just live with what i got.
    We’re changing them around to come in a different route. Putting a wall at the bottom to hide the sump pump hole. I think I’ll probably have to go to an 8” rise and hopefully drop it a little quicker.

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    Ok folks I’m needing some input, knowledge or guidance from an experienced carpenter. Our stair to the basement are steep because of low ceiling in the basement and not a lot of room for a long run. I measured the old steps and they were 7/7. I know the rule of thumb is 7/11 but that won’t fit in the area I have. Was wanting less steel angle and maybe put a set of winders in and turn the stairs for a couple more steps due to low ceilings. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
    Indiana Residential Code requires a rise of no more than 8.25", and a minimum tread depth of 9".
    However, "When replacing a stairway in an existing structure, that cannot accommodate the requirements of Section R311.7.5.1. The stair riser height may be replaced utilizing dimensions that do not exceed the riser height of the original staircase. "
    The important thing with stairs, is you don't want a difference in tread height of more than 3/8" from maximum to minimum, which can present a trip hazard.

It sounds like a winder would fit your needs, from the info you have shared. I have never built winder stairs, but am planning on taking a course this fall to learn curved staircase design.

And now for some wood-geek stuff:
    I have a colleague in Minnesota that re-built his basement stairs recently with what is known as a "dancing winder" (or tapered winder). Here is a before of his stairs:
    401071835_18215963800254842_850924292629383133_n.jpg And after
    401080625_18215963809254842_9061872443795076803_n.jpg

MRockwell

Just Me
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Oct 4, 2010
    Noblesfield
    MRockwell, I'm a Retired Construction Superintendant, No where any National or Local Bulding Code would allow that exterior entrance with no Landing! Who thought that was a good idea?
    That is an excellent point that I didn't put much thought into, I was focusing on the dancing winder staircase. In the pictures he posted of the finished project(his house) he has a hand rail in front of that door. And yes, I assume that even with a handrail blocking the entry doesn't make it allowable...I need to ask him why he did that.

406215849_18217752688254842_6194490118243663370_n.jpg

Aggar

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 7, 2010
    Kirklin
    Indiana Residential Code requires a rise of no more than 8.25", and a minimum tread depth of 9".
    However, "When replacing a stairway in an existing structure, that cannot accommodate the requirements of Section R311.7.5.1. The stair riser height may be replaced utilizing dimensions that do not exceed the riser height of the original staircase. "
    The important thing with stairs, is you don't want a difference in tread height of more than 3/8" from maximum to minimum, which can present a trip hazard.

It sounds like a winder would fit your needs, from the info you have shared. I have never built winder stairs, but am planning on taking a course this fall to learn curved staircase design.

And now for some wood-geek stuff:
    I have a colleague in Minnesota that re-built his basement stairs recently with what is known as a "dancing winder" (or tapered winder). Here is a before of his stairs:
    View attachment 339225 And after
    View attachment 339226
    Here is what I’m going to attempt to build.

Attachments

• IMG_6416.png
      IMG_6416.png
      838.7 KB · Views: 17

Lmo1131

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 11, 2020
    east of the Pacific
    You might look into “alternating tread” stairs; they’re suitable for “restricted spaces” and can be steeper than conventional stairs.
    Oak_alternating_tread_stair01.jpg

Top Bottom