• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • glockman22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle
    I know about the tax stamp and that its kind of a drawn out process to get anything class 3 into your posession, I plan on getting a silencer soon for my ar, and glock, but my question is, Other than to and from a range/shooting area, can you carry these items, I know practicality should be involved somewhere I wouldnt find it practical to carry an m4 around but like what if someone actually wanted to have their supressor or smg on their person or in their car, or even yes an sbr or select fire rifle, can you carry these items as long as you have the tax stamp on you, also I seen a man once with the tax stamp at the range, and it looked about the size of a basic letter, is it possible to resize a copy and laminate it so its easier to carry say in your wallet or where have you.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Rating - 98.8%
    81   1   0
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    hmmmmmm dont know about that, but the one set of 'stamps' Ive seen were drivers license sized. This was 13 or so years ago though.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    I've heard a couple of NFA people shrunk theirs down to wallet sized, but also keep full-sized copies in their range bag and vehicle, while the original is safely stored in a safe deposit box.

fullauto 45

Master
    Rating - 100%
    31   0   1
    Dec 27, 2008
    SE Indy
    I have all mine in original size copies in the glove box. I also made a cc size and laminated it to carry in the bag with the gun or suppressors.

glockman22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle
    So this means if you have the stamp you can carry an nfa item then, sorry to repeat questions im looking for a definate yes or no, so as to not cause trouble in the future for me.

VUPDblue

Silencers Have NEVER Been Illegal !
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    The stamp has nothing to do with weather or not you can "carry" the item. Legally, you must "make the stamp available to BATFE agents upon request". That means that a copy of the stamp should accompany the firearm at all times. As for "carrying" the items, you should follow your state's laws regarding carrying a firearm. The Devil's in the details legally, so could you please describe a situation that you are thinking about? It'll help me answer your question better.

glockman22

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 14, 2008
    New Castle
    ok, heres a sitch for you, its legal to have long guns in your car/truck here, so if you have the stamp could you have an automatic rifle, well say an m16 for simplicity, in your car, another sitch, say i have an automatic pistol, or even a small smg small enough to carry on your person, and I have a handgun permit, may I carry that,

shooter521

Certified Glock Nut
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    May 13, 2008
    Indianapolis, IN US
    ok, heres a sitch for you, its legal to have long guns in your car/truck here, so if you have the stamp could you have an automatic rifle, well say an m16 for simplicity, in your car, another sitch, say i have an automatic pistol, or even a small smg small enough to carry on your person, and I have a handgun permit, may I carry that,

Yes and yes, but it's probably not the smartest thing to do.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    a machinegun is, by definition, not a handgun therefore you don't need a LTCH to carry one. it probably wouldn't be wise to carry though.

WhitleyStu

Keep'em Scary Sharp!!!
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Feb 11, 2009
    Whitley County/Allen County
    The term "tax stamp" is being used rather loose here. The actual stamp is just like a postal stamp, but it is glued to your application in the upper right corner on the back side and is for either $5 or $200 and is issued by the United States Internal Revenue. It is the permit you need to have with you (with stamp attached). The stamp shows you have paid your fee and it is not a pending application. It is a federal permit and has nothing to do with your state permit to carry a handgun.

Disposable Heart

Grandmaster
    Rating - 99.6%
    246   1   1
    Apr 18, 2008
    Greenfield, IN
    This will likely boil down to a need vs. want issue. Defensive shooting with a supressor or machinegun will probably end up in a lengthy court trial... attention that the gun community doesn't need. America is about doing what you want. You WANT to carry a machinegun or a supressed weapon but the gun community doesn't NEED that sort of attention in an event of a shooting.

just my two cents, adjusted for inflation

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    a machinegun is, by definition, not a handgun therefore you don't need a LTCH to carry one. it probably wouldn't be wise to carry though.

Not correct, if it meets this definition, it is a handgun, and LTCH is required:

IC 35-47-1-6
    "Handgun"
    Sec. 6. "Handgun" means any firearm:
    (1) designed or adapted so as to be aimed and fired from one (1) hand, regardless of barrel length; or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length; or
    (B) an overall length of less than twenty-six (26) inches.

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    I see what you did there. I don't tend to agree but I do see how some do. By Indiana's definition of a handgun, a SBR is technically a handgun because it meets the definition
    or
    (2) any firearm with:
    (A) a barrel less than sixteen (16) inches in length;

The federal definition of SBR makes it not a handgun anymore. Indiana's law makes it a gray area, like many other Indiana gun laws...

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I see what you did there. I don't tend to agree but I do see how some do. By Indiana's definition of a handgun, a SBR is technically a handgun because it meets the definition

The federal definition of SBR makes it not a handgun anymore. Indiana's law makes it a gray area, like many other Indiana gun laws...

The federal definition is irrelevant in the operation of state laws unless they specifically reference the federal definition. The state laws do not, they have independent definitions sufficient to stand on their own. It's black and white.

BTW, most SMGs would meet the definition.

Last edited:

NEWMAN

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 24, 2008
    Just a quick tip. They have and I have also made a sling that has a small pocket to put my paperwork in. So its allways with the rifle.. didn't know if people had seen them but its pretty common

bean0438

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 26, 2009
    I've heard a couple of NFA people shrunk theirs down to wallet sized, but also keep full-sized copies in their range bag and vehicle, while the original is safely stored in a safe deposit box.

Just A side note... Learn from my mistake.

I use to cary color copies of my paperwork and keep the originals in my safe. I went to a local range and at the desk furnished the copies to shoot surpressed. The customer behind me happened to be a BATF agent, he told the clerk to make b&w copies my papers and destroy the color copies. He explained to me making the color copies was a crime like producing a fake id... :dunno:

VUPDblue

Rating - 100%
    25   0   1
    Mar 20, 2008
    Franklin Township
    Just A side note... Learn from my mistake.

I use to cary color copies of my paperwork and keep the originals in my safe. I went to a local range and at the desk furnished the copies to shoot surpressed. The customer behind me happened to be a BATF agent, he told the clerk to make b&w copies my papers and destroy the color copies. He explained to me making the color copies was a crime like producing a fake id... :dunno:

:orly::bs:

not on you, but on the "agent"

I'm guessing that he was concerned with the clerk keeping the color copies. On an aside, there's norfolk & whey I'd leave a copy with the clerk. Show them, maybe.

HandK

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Way Up North!!
    I think if you start carrying around full auto sub guns on your person with silencers you will wind up in a small dimmly lit room with a guy in a dark suit asking alot of homeland security questions!!

JosephR

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2008
    NW IN
    The federal definition is irrelevant in the operation of state laws unless they specifically reference the federal definition. The state laws do not, they have independent definitions sufficient to stand on their own. It's black and white.

BTW, most SMGs would meet the definition.

Quit with the ******** please. The state of Indiana obviously knows what an SBR and Machinegun are and will concede to the Federal Definition of such.

It may be that state laws overrule federal ones in your mind, or in reality, but that is irrelevant. We're not talking laws here, we're talking universally accepted definitions.

Your comments will only confuse people and cause them problems. We are here for education and information. Your suppositions and loosely linked logic is not needed or appreciated.

Top Bottom