• ...and so much more!
  • Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Hello everyone, I wanted to ask because I don't know one way or the other....if you can swap a pair of BCG's in two AR15 rifles without ill effect to them during shooting?

I have an a2 rifle clone with a nickel boron BCG i want to put in a m4orgry with a nickel boron LPK so that they match, while the black BCG from the carbine I would like to put in the a2 clone to match it's black LPK.

Can I do this or no? All help is appreciated. Thanks

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Hello everyone, I wanted to ask because I don't know one way or the other....if you can swap a pair of BCG's in two AR15 rifles without ill effect to them during shooting?

I have an a2 rifle clone with a nickel boron BCG i want to put in a m4orgry with a nickel boron LPK so that they match, while the black BCG from the carbine I would like to put in the a2 clone to match it's black LPK.

Can I do this or no? All help is appreciated. Thanks
    Yes. Yes you can.

BiscuitsandGravy

Future 'shootered'
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Nov 8, 2016
    At the Ranch.
    You sure can but I would add that if you had a high round count AR, it's very possible the bolt has 'mated' itself to the lugs of the barrel extension. The reason I say this is a few years ago we shot a crap ton of 300 BO developing various loads and trying different stuff. We had a particular 10.5" that developed some very slight marks on the back edge of the of the bolts lugs. It didn't have any problems but it had these marks you could see. So my point is, I would probably not run that bolt/BCG in another AR. Another point, I would not recommend Lil-gun powder for 300BO. It is very hard on gear. That's my $.02 and that's all it worth.

YMMV and all. :ingo:

BIGE7.62

Sharpshooter
    Site Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 98.5%
    65   1   0
    Jul 29, 2010
    The Hills of Brown
    In the late 80's I was taught that this was a huge no go . After several years I came the realize this was bs . Look at the 1911 , parts is parts and parts .
    Except for worn out stuff , than it's replaced with new or old parts

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    If both the ARs are fairly new/low mileage, and in-spec, you’ll probably be fine.

The higher mileage the ARs, the iffier this gets as the bolt and barrel extension wear together. Checking the headspace with a set of gauges helps remove uncertainty.

Makes me wonder, why would one be routinely swapping BCGs amongst ARs?

Bluedragon

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Muncie
    Both my rifles are low mileage with both BCG's looking close to new. Unfortunetly I currently don't have any proper gauges to check headspace so I'll probably just leave them alone as is for now.

Top Bottom