• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    I’m looking for the cheapest possibility place to pitch a tent near central Indiana that comes with outlets, year around, if not how do I generate my own energy without spending a ton on a gasoline powered generator

Mij

Permaplinker (thanks to Expat)
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    I’m looking for the cheapest possibility place to pitch a tent near central Indiana that comes with outlets, year around, if not how do I generate my own energy without spending a ton on a gasoline powered generator
    Maybe it‘s just me but, the reason I go outdoors is to get away from all the electronics. If I want AC and TV, I stay home, I live near a tourist trap town.

Most camp grounds near me separate primitive (tents), from Camper trailers anyway. But I guess they would be glad to up charge you for the elect. and black water discharge. That would defeat your purpose.

When we did tent camp one of the most despised groups were the folks with a * noisy Geny. Not what we wanted to hear sitting around the fire in the evening.

I’m thinking the solar system is maybe right for you, they are making some quite (very) affordable now. But for year round use you would have to bring and take due to probability of theft. Best of luck, have a great camping year.

Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Maybe it‘s just me but, the reason I go outdoors is to get away from all the electronics. If I want AC and TV, I stay home, I live near a tourist trap town.

Most camp grounds near me separate primitive (tents), from Camper trailers anyway. But I guess they would be glad to up charge you for the elect. and black water discharge. That would defeat your purpose.

When we did tent camp one of the most despised groups were the folks with a * noisy Geny. Not what we wanted to hear sitting around the fire in the evening.

I’m thinking the solar system is maybe right for you, they are making some quite (very) affordable now. But for year round use you would have to bring and take due to probability of theft. Best of luck, have a great camping year.

Much agreed, the only thing I need electricity for is income as I run businesses online, flashlights, GPS, and battery for boat etc. definitely wouldn’t want tv or anything like that,

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Much agreed, the only thing I need electricity for is income as I run businesses online, flashlights, GPS, and battery for boat etc. definitely wouldn’t want tv or anything like that,
    Cool, I (we) go camping to get away from work. Motor on the boat charges the boat battery. We take flashlights with charged batteries, and Coleman lanterns. GPS…? I usually know where I am. Now that last one may not work if I’m on the ocean, but you asked about central Indiana, look at the skyline at night, see the light? That’s the closest town. You do know north, south, east, west I’m making an assumption here of course. Look at a road sign In daylight.

Again the newest solar equipment seems to fit you’re needs. I’m seeing TV adds for one lately that’s a couple hundred bucks. Comes with everything you need to produce power for what you want to do. Again good luck best thoughts.

Creedmoor

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Mar 10, 2022
    Madison Co Indiana
    Cool, I (we) go camping to get away from work. Motor on the boat charges the boat battery. We take flashlights with charged batteries, and Coleman lanterns. GPS…? I usually know where I am. Now that last one may not work if I’m on the ocean, but you asked about central Indiana, look at the skyline at night, see the light? That’s the closest town. You do know north, south, east, west I’m making an assumption here of course. Look at a road sign In daylight.

Again the newest solar equipment seems to fit you’re needs. I’m seeing TV adds for one lately that’s a couple hundred bucks. Comes with everything you need to produce power for what you want to do. Again good luck best thoughts.
    Exactly, I can do all that he wants to do with what I bring or I can charge off the usb cord I put on the motorcycle.
    If driving a car/truck I would just install a inverter and use a charger for the large battery charging needs.
    Art one time I was a manufacture that supplied a few tools to then called John Deere Landscapes and they had over 700 stores and a few other irrigation/lighting supply houses.
    I didn't answer the business phone, email or fax machine outside of normal Mon-Fri business hours. I camped then the same way I camp now.

Reactions: Mij

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Exactly, I can do all that he wants to do with what I bring or I can charge off the usb cord I put on the motorcycle.
    If driving a car/truck I would just install a inverter and use a charger for the large battery charging needs.
    Art one time I was a manufacture that supplied a few tools to then called John Deere Landscapes and they had over 700 stores and a few other irrigation/lighting supply houses.
    I didn't answer the business phone, email or fax machine outside of normal Mon-Fri business hours. I camped then the same way I camp now.
    Didn’t even think about the inverter, it‘s been under the front seat for 10 years. Used to run a home police scanner. Haven’t done that in years. That’s even cheaper. Hundred bucks, plug in the chargers. Or air compressor. Or TV, as long as the truck motor is running, but that’s gas prices.

Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Didn’t even think about the inverter, it‘s been under the front seat for 10 years. Used to run a home police scanner. Haven’t done that in years. That’s even cheaper. Hundred bucks, plug in the chargers. Or air compressor. Or TV, as long as the truck motor is running, but that’s gas prices.

Yup I got a couple inverters, I suppose just buy a bunch of power banks and when im actually driving on the road it will charge them all up, that way ur knocking out two birds in one stone

Mij

Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 22, 2022
    In the corn and beans
    Yup I got a couple inverters, I suppose just buy a bunch of power banks and when im actually driving on the road it will charge them all up, that way ur knocking out two birds in one stone
    And there you go…:lmfao:

But, myself, I don’t know what a power bank is. Mine I plug into the cigarette lighter n plug in the 110 v item in the front of the inverter, two 110 outlets.

Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    And there you go…:lmfao:

But, myself, I don’t know what a power bank is. Mine I plug into the cigarette lighter n plug in the 110 v item in the front of the inverter, two 110 outlets.

Ya that doesn’t store power just converts it to a current flow so the car has to be running, I’m saying connect a battery to the inverter while ur driving also other accessories so they all charge at once and then you will also have backups when it’s not running

Butch627

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jan 3, 2012
    NWI
    I camp at unimproved sites, and have a few ways to make and store electricity. There are a million different ways to skin this cat. OP how many days at a time will you need power? How many hours a day will you be drawing power?

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    When we would boat camp at Monroe (no campground, just find a place on shore and set up), I had a spare marine starting and deep cycle battery. I used an inverter to power a radio, charge cell phones, even run a fan in the tent when it was really hot. Every other day or so, I'd swap it out for the one in the boat, and it would recharge from running the boat motor.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    PERFECT.

and if that still isnt enough, a jackery solar generator will work. Those are basically a battery box with a bunch of different inverters/converters to run everything off of. (USB, 12VDC, 110VAC) If you dont want to spend on the solar panels, you can charge it up from the wall before you leave the house. (panels are sold separate from the "generators". I think the Jackery starts at $250.

Salmonslice

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 20, 2021
    Indianapolis
    Yes plan on living year around, was looking at the tents with built in stoves for heat if I’m not going to be running electricity for it

What kind of Jackery solar charger/inverter do you have? Looked at a couple

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Yes plan on living year around, was looking at the tents with built in stoves for heat if I’m not going to be running electricity for it

What kind of Jackery solar charger/inverter do you have? Looked at a couple
    I dont own any myself. I'm still saving my pennies for one, But not in a huge hurry because the amount of electronics I take with me all charge fine with a "pocket"* sized USB battery banks.

If I need a bit more or 12VDC I'll use an inverter that uses my power tool batteries as a source.

*fits in a back pocket, but nothing else will fit

Top Bottom