• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Cemetery-man

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Oct 26, 2009
    Bremen
    When I was getting ready to take my AF entrance physical they said not to worry if we failed it because the Army and Marines were just down the hallway. ;)

gunowner930

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Marines are not soldiers period. That is why they'll correct if you if call them one. The Marine Corps and Army are different and many people refuse to recognize that or couldn't be bothered by the differences. call an Army PFC a private and he doesn't care. call a Marine PFC a private and he will correct you. Same with NCOs. Soldiers will call their Staff Sergeant "Sergeant." Don't call a Marine Staff Seargeant "Sergeant or Sarge," especially if you're a junior enlisted Soldier.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Marines are not soldiers period. That is why they'll correct if you if call them one. The Marine Corps and Army are different and many people refuse to recognize that or couldn't be bothered by the differences. call an Army PFC a private and he doesn't care. call a Marine PFC a private and he will correct you. Same with NCOs. Soldiers will call their Staff Sergeant "Sergeant." Don't call a Marine Staff Seargeant "Sergeant or Sarge," especially if you're a junior enlisted Soldier.

Your average civilian doesn't understand the difference nor do they have a need to. As long as it not done out of disrespect, why does it matter?

Jay

Gotta watch us old guys.....cause if you don't....
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 19, 2008
    Near Marion, IN
    Your average civilian doesn't understand the difference nor do they have a need to. As long as it not done out of disrespect, why does it matter?

Pride, and accuracy. If a person has no interest in being correct, then it doesn't matter. I have a peeve about folks leaving the "s" off of "Corps". Does it matter? In the interest of accuracy, and pride, it matters to me, and I will politely make the correction known. If they get upset about being corrected, that's tough. If a person has no interest in being correct, or accurate, that in itself speaks volumes. :rolleyes:

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    I have a peeve about folks leaving the "s" off of "Corps". Does it matter? In the interest of accuracy, and pride, it matters to me, and I will politely make the correction known. If a person has no interest in being correct, or accurate, that in itself speaks volumes. :rolleyes:

Well, what if the "s" is left on...but pronounced out loud right after the "p"? :D
    (You knew I'd go there. :laugh:)

ATM

will argue for sammiches.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    Crawfordsville
    I would take great offense to being called a sexually undeveloped form of ant or termite, even if I do have a slightly large head and powerful jaws. :n00b:

At ease, soldiers. ;)

Kagnew

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Columbus
    Pride, and accuracy. If a person has no interest in being correct, then it doesn't matter. I have a peeve about folks leaving the "s" off of "Corps". Does it matter? In the interest of accuracy, and pride, it matters to me, and I will politely make the correction known. If they get upset about being corrected, that's tough. If a person has no interest in being correct, or accurate, that in itself speaks volumes. :rolleyes:

+1! :patriot:

semperfi211

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 17, 2008
    Near Lowell
    420877_352877724752658_1003874771_n.jpg

Dave Doehrman

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Once a Marine

Here's what the Commandant of the Marine Corps says about being called a Marine:

[FONT=verdana, helvetica, arial][SIZE=-1]A Marine is a Marine. I set that policy two weeks ago - there's no such thing as a former Marine. You're a Marine, just in a different uniform and you're in a different phase of your life. But you'll always be a Marine because you went to Parris Island, San Diego or the hills of Quantico. There's no such thing as a former Marine.

General James F. Amos, 35th Commandant of the Marine Corps [/SIZE][/FONT]

atvdave

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Jan 23, 2012
    SW Indiana
    Just remember... We are all on the same team... Regardless of what branch of service you belong to. One branch of service is not superior than the other.

I feel very strongly that one branch can not do their job with out the help of the others.. and that is why I have this sticker on the back of my truck..

homefree.jpg

Hogwylde

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 12, 2011
    Moved to Tucson, AZ
    I was taught by the Marine Corps that a Marine is a "soldier of the sea", originally stationed on ships and used for land operations or battles between ships. Also notice that soldier isn't a proper noun and isn't capitalized whereas Marine is.

IF you call me anything, the proper term to use isn't Marine, it's Sir or Captain.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I was taught by the Marine Corps that a Marine is a "soldier of the sea", originally stationed on ships and used for land operations or battles between ships. Also notice that soldier isn't a proper noun and isn't capitalized whereas Marine is.

IF you call me anything, the proper term to use isn't Marine, it's Sir or Captain.

Actually, in the Army, Soldier is capitalized. I know, as I have had to do all sorts of Evals, and paperwork, and heaven forbid you don't. Its others that aren't usually in that dont capitalize it. Just like SEALs, most people just call them seals, or Seals, which is wrong, its all caps on purpose. :twocents:

Top Bottom